High Fashion Mountaineering Boots...

RAISED BY WOLVES

Damn... I was following that ebay auction and decided not to bid. Look great.

Glad you didn't then!

Here's some recent stuff i shot from Free 'n Easy and 2nd, while gathering source material for my Clothing For The Great Outdoors thread. http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=140322

Yuketen hunting Boots and White's semi-dress boots.

IMG_4628.jpg

Instructions on how to clean your Russell's [The Japanese have detailed instructions for EVERYTHING. Even things as inanely simple as "how to brush your dog" in the same issue of Free' n Easy this came from]

IMG_4627.jpg

Whoa, dope, RBW! I'm stoked for you. Strange that there is a high arch - that must have been a custom job. My RMs are all just about completely flat.

And just a sidenote concerning White's smokejumpers, semie-dress whateverthefuck and all other boots like them - fucking gross. Generally speaking, if I bothered to post in other threads I would certainly find the Shit I Hate thread and post those things in there. I know that is like some classic Americana shit, and White's probably makes a damn good quality product, but I couldn't imagine wearing something with heels like that.

Also, I've always hated Red Wings, but I saw a couple pairs from the Heritage line (I think it's called) that looked decent. Still probably wouldn't wear them. Just sayin'.

Doc I agree with you on the White's... can't get down with the heels and I especially hate the two tone ones. Went to a Red Wing store today and tried on some 875's but they didn't really hit me.

I've followed this thread, and the shoes that look better thread but still haven't found a single pair that I want, that would work best in my wardrobe at this point. Just a lot of different pairs that would work in certain outfits...

Uno Mas "worn"

IMG_4601.jpg

Please note the "one up one down" stee is for comparison purposes only.

Aiiiight...1up1down like it's '95 all over again!

But seriously....siiiii-iiiiiiick. I will be sure to spill a vat of pickle juice on 'em out of sheer jealousy. It's a compliment...forreal.

Aiiiight...1up1down like it's '95 all over again!

But seriously....siiiii-iiiiiiick. I will be sure to spill a vat of pickle juice on 'em out of sheer jealousy. It's a compliment...forreal.

I can't hardly wait.

Where the pickles at yo?

Nah but for real, I thought the whole weird instep thing might be a problem, but I've been in em all day and it's fine. Had me shook for a second though. Swear they feel like they're molding to my feets already.

Plus, on the off chance anyone is curious...the Plantation crepe is indeed excellent for stalking as promised. been walking in tall grass, leaves, and gravel, and they are quite silent. they feel even nicer on woodland ground than pavement (perhaps this is obvious, as that's what they were intended for).

These won't cut it for winter by anymeans though. Too bad. Guess that means some Laramie suede and black birdshooters with white soles need to get copped stat.Hahaha...

The madness begins in earnest now.

This question may have been answered before, so forgive me if it has been.

How do the Red Wings 875 and 877 perform under mountaineering conditions? I came under the belief that they're "workboots" since I see them listed under that almost everywhere. The crepe soles seem to have good traction, but does anyone have any experience?

I can't hardly wait.

Where the pickles at yo?

Nah but for real, I thought the whole weird instep thing might be a problem, but I've been in em all day and it's fine. Had me shook for a second though. Swear they feel like they're molding to my feets already.

Plus, on the off chance anyone is curious...the Plantation crepe is indeed excellent for stalking as promised. been walking in tall grass, leaves, and gravel, and they are quite silent. they feel even nicer on woodland ground than pavement (perhaps this is obvious, as that's what they were intended for).

These won't cut it for winter by anymeans though. Too bad. Guess that means some Laramie suede and black birdshooters with white soles need to get copped stat.Hahaha...

The madness begins in earnest now.

WHAT TYPE OF WHITE SOLE THOUGH...THAT IS THE QUEST...

We must plan this accordingly... ... .... ........

Also, I've always hated Red Wings, but I saw a couple pairs from the Heritage line (I think it's called) that looked decent. Still probably wouldn't wear them. Just sayin'.

I agree on the heeled boot stuff but I've been feeling some vintage Irish Setter sport boot love recently

from the Bay

50's plaid flannel lined

7bad_12.jpg

and 70's mountaineering style

BH1yzggWkKGrHgoOKicEjlLmYvG8BJK--1.jpg

Got my Abingtons today. Quality is good, not great. For knocking around the city they're fine but I'd hesitate to use them on a true mountain hike. The boots are very light and need more heft for that application, both in leather thickness and reinforcement throughout the body. The ankle support is fully leather lined. Soles are the Vibram Morflex, very very light. For $180, I'm pleased. If you're interested in them, size down a full size.

I picked up the tan Abington hikers the other day as well. I'm pretty satisfied with them. I think the quality is fine. They are super light, which is a plus.

I picked up the tan Abington hikers the other day as well. I'm pretty satisfied with them. I think the quality is fine. They are super light, which is a plus.

Ya, I'm very pleased with them. I guess I wished the leather was thicker and that's what I meant about hesitating to take them on a long demanding hike. They are light as hell which is great for daily stomping. I put a Dr. Scholl's in 'em and they are comfy as hell. Fast becoming my favorite boots.

i just read this entire thread, and by page 15 i knew i'm gonna buy a pair of russells. probably a verson of the safaris.

RBW, since you just got something similar, two questions...

-you said that the african chukkas wouldn't cut it for winter, but then you said you'd get the safaris for cold weather. they have the same canvas jawns, so why would they be warmer?

-what do you think about the duck cotton canvas quarters? does it give up any support or structure compared to leather (which i could get as a custom option)? in some pics i've seen, they look kinda floppy (for lack of a better description).

thanks.

Uno Mas "worn"

IMG_4601.jpg

Please note the "one up one down" stee is for comparison purposes only.

the Safaris I have in mind would probably not be any warmer or more waterproof. I think I may have been mistaken. Birdshooters might be better, but if that's your concern, you might do best to just shoot them an email and ask what is most appropriate for your application.

I don't know though...some tall safaris with the double vamp construction fully sprayed and oiled might do me solid up here. Not on some Alaska stee though for sure...

The canvass inserts are fine support wise(for me, that is) the moccasin construction really cradles the foot, and I imagine with a taller upper, you'd get evenmore support as well. Leather inserts would be dope though. I believe HeBay posted an all black all leather pair that looked sick.

I have the full double-vamp Safaris with cotton duck quarters and they are thoroughly weather-proof. The only thing that keeps them from being full on snow gear is the sole - I have the Vibram Christy sole that is actually fairly soft and slick - more for tracking in the woods than on snow and ice. If I had a different sole on them they'd be ideal for any conditions - but I prefer the way the Christy sole feels in the City - it's super light and soft.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are "warm" - but you don't really want warm boots. The leather is thick and soft, but it is breathable. Let your socks keep you warm. I like my boots to be equally comfortable in the spring with no socks, and in the winter with wool socks.

I really like the look of the cotton duck quarters, they also add a nice shape to the boot when you wear them unlaced as I do. Plus, mine are wearing in so nicely, the canvas has formed fade lines like you'd find on the lap of a well-worn pair of jeans.

I have McIntosh Birdshooters that have a very similar construction but a padded collar and leather upper quarters with a lugged sole - I haven't worn them much, but I don't find them to be nearly as comfortable.

I have the full double-vamp Safaris with cotton duck quarters and they are thoroughly weather-proof. The only thing that keeps them from being full on snow gear is the sole - I have the Vibram Christy sole that is actually fairly soft and slick - more for tracking in the woods than on snow and ice. If I had a different sole on them they'd be ideal for any conditions - but I prefer the way the Christy sole feels in the City - it's super light and soft.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are "warm" - but you don't really want warm boots. The leather is thick and soft, but it is breathable. Let your socks keep you warm. I like my boots to be equally comfortable in the spring with no socks, and in the winter with wool socks.

I really like the look of the cotton duck quarters, they also add a nice shape to the boot when you wear them unlaced as I do. Plus, mine are wearing in so nicely, the canvas has formed fade lines like you'd find on the lap of a well-worn pair of jeans.

I have McIntosh Birdshooters that have a very similar construction but a padded collar and leather upper quarters with a lugged sole - I haven't worn them much, but I don't find them to be nearly as comfortable.

may have posted before, but got any pics lying around?