Leepro Appreciation

gimmegimme

Fardin,

just photo'd these for your consideration.

More pics to back up/further the Lee cowboy/riders discussion. I know I'm repeating myself a bit, but bear with me.

We've seen the Lee 101J cowboy jacket. This is the 2nd cowboy version produced during the war years (note: no buckle on back) - www.aeroleatherclothing.com sell the Lee japan repro version of this, check out their discription. Some have the Lee cowboy buttons, some have the Laurel leaf buttons.

008-1.jpg

Then in 1946 the NEW Lee Riders jacket was introduced.

002-2.jpg

And two more showing the details mentioned in Paul's Ad

006-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Everthing changed between 1944-1946, Lee Cowboy became Lee Riders (on advertising AND jeans/jacket buttons). This is obviously a well known fact. Paul's book states this on P63 (top right).

The jackets on P46 (IMO from 1945) and P55 (from 1960-62) are exactly the same, apart from the blanket lining (101-J - 101-LJ).

Remember the Housemark label was used up until 1946 (P46). Both jackets have LEE RIDERS on the buttons.

Sorry I dont know how to link properly, but if you go onto www.amazon.co.uk, go: books, go: vintage denim, You will see a copy of David little's: DENIM: an American story. On the cover is a photo of the Lee Riders jacket (circa 1945-46) but with Lee COWBOY buttons (you'll have to enlarge the image). I've only ever seen one of those. It's another overlapping Cowboy/Riders version. In David Little's 'vintage denim' book there is also the same pic(inside the book)

Sorry to waffle on, but to me it's more evidence to back up our earlier discussion on the 101J, which IMO was introduced in 1932

Early 101-J label on pleated jacket.

003-1.jpg

Hope it's all clear?

nice fit on slim there

how many times did he size down

• 2 weeks later...

oh thanks meader, wow

i just ordered the 101b 30s for just 95 euros. now thats really a good prize.

curious to see how they fit.

sorry but cant rep you at the moment

Found this advert on ebay , dates to 1955 and seems to indicate Lee were making different cuts of Lee Riders during that period . Which explains a lot of the differing cuts we see in vintage denim sites .

Thanks for the info meader and also to my friend simontuntelder who kindly emailed me . Made another purchase my wife says I dont really need.....

cmk06861.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
hi,

am after a pair of 101z 52 but after reading through this thread there seems some discrepancy about sizing. do i buy true to size or down a size?

can someone please clarify for me. thanks

I would check with 0 retailer to confirm the exact waist measurement before purchasing . However the current Edwin manufactured model is approx two inch oversized , my w32 were actually w34 . The waist will shrink slightly but will stretch back , the legs are long but shrink to tag size .

thanks mike,

i spoke to the retailer today and was told that the 32 waist measures 33. i was also told that even though they are sanforised they should shrink to 32 and may stretch back out after wearing. he did mention that in his experience they wont shrink much in the length.

i believe i am buying from the same place as you did. time will tell...

Why are the real mccoy's Leepros almost 100 bucks more than their other jeans?

I've heard it's because someone else has the right's to sell "Lee" branded jeans in Japan and so Real McCoy has to pay them to sell Lee branded jeans. So they are passing the cost along.

That sounds about right to me. $50 for Lee and $50 for Edwin. Then you've got the standard price of a pair of Japanese selvedge jeans leftover for Real McCoy.

My sense is even though this stuff is much bigger in Japan than the US it's still something of a cult thing there (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) so you don't end up with what they call in business "economies of scale" which is another way to say the cost sticks out more over thousands of sales as opposed to millions.

what waist and hem were these heech, what tag size did you get

also do they stretch out after wearing, my hair on the hides stretched out a few inches

My 1936 Lee 101's (HoH) are tagged a 34/33, but measure 35/37. They do not shrink (1% at most). They didn't really stretch either, even after 7 years of hard wear. My 1930 Lee 101 are tagged 34/34, but measure 37/37!! I've since bought a pair a size down (32/34), and after a couple of washes they still measure 35/37. Check out my stuff on ebay (username charlieb4211).

CTB, I see your bidding on my 1936's?

Yes mate, I'm bidding on behalf of a friend who's willing to give some dry denim a try haha.

Both pairs are too big for me, unfortunately, but the 1936s should be ideal for him so he's letting me look after the bidding...Didn't realise they were yours, or I'd have spoken to you directly...