japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

jax,

you should just get a japanese friend set up a phone and contract for you under their name. there are mad campaigns that you can get free phones (or like 1-99yen or some pointless amount). they can always end the contract after you leave. you could check the balance right before you go home and just pay them alittle extra for the last duration. this way you'll have a phone and a dormant contract. next time you go up, just contact them and tell them to reactivate for you. this is the best way. don't do the rental.

If you do this you have to pay the contract out, so it's going to cost a lot for a short period of time. And I wouldn't take on Tokyo without a keitai, it's so easy to get lost and so handy for train travel just alone with the whole train finder website you can get on them. I would definately rent, you can pick shit up from the airport after you get out of customs.

Tokyo is incredible, nothing shit about it. I hear you when your saying these ugly fucks are getting all the girls and I hate that, but the way the go about it is wrong! They just fully sleaze onto the girls, so disrespectful, but if you want one of those girls that's the way to go about it. Also, ditch the gaijin mates and get some Japanese friends. They will want to hook you up.

If you do this you have to pay the contract out, so it's going to cost a lot for a short period of time. And I wouldn't take on Tokyo without a keitai, it's so easy to get lost and so handy for train travel just alone with the whole train finder website you can get on them. I would definately rent, you can pick shit up from the airport after you get out of customs.

quote]

you can do dormant status for docomo and au. jax wouldn't even have to pay the balance (his friend wouldn't) until he wanted to reactivate.

Those phone rentals they have at Narita are expensive. I paid like 3000Y for one day once and it wasn't any kind of special phone, would hate to find out how much they cost to rent for 2-3 weeks. Some of the better hotels include a mobile when you check in, which kinda offsets the cost of the stay, if you're really a phone person.

tokyo sucks? you crazy. every city in the world has got something to offer, it's what you make of it (tokyo has alot to offer).

Nah, as a place its obviously got a ton to offer, its the small stuff about it that I don't like sometimes. Such as it being so spread out and the areas feeling somewhat disconnected from each other. Seems like most people just stick to their one small area. As in, going to school in Aoyama/shibuya and hanging out with people from the school 90% of the time, anytime people get together to do shit it's going to be in Shibuya. Hanging out with friends for smaller stuff there's a good chance it'll be Shimokita. It kinda feels like if you want to see all the other areas of tokyo and branch out you're gonna have to do it on your own or at least take a lot of initiative with a few friends getting them to come with.

Hell, the other day talking to a friend from school and when I mentioned I had to get going to ginza for work, he said he's never been there. And he's been in tokyo for probably 4 years or so. Not the first time either, a friend born and raised in/near tokyo told me he's never been to odaiba. I guess from a US perspective that's just kind of crazy to me.

Also, I don't know how much you've had to deal with it, possibly some experience, but the way foreigners are treated off the bat compared to Osaka, or other smaller areas is another thing I don't like. Being as foreigners are so abundant in tokyo all these people have these precomposed images of what you are. The assumption in Tokyo is that if you're foreign, you're here on vacation with no idea what's going on and can't speak at all, so you either get ignored something harsh, or get unecessarily babied through simple processes. To kind of illustrate, in tokyo if you're white, expect people to first attempt to speak english to you, while from my experiences in other parts of the country (fairly limited, so keep that in mind), people just treat you like another customer/person in terms of communication, then if you are someone who can't get by, they revert to English if possible.

I'm not sure how well this holds up in reality though, my non kantou experience is fairly limited.

Hell, the other day talking to a friend from school and when I mentioned I had to get going to ginza for work, he said he's never been there. And he's been in tokyo for probably 4 years or so. Not the first time either, a friend born and raised in/near tokyo told me he's never been to odaiba. I guess from a US perspective that's just kind of crazy to me.

Well, i was born in Paris but i don't remember when i last climbed the Eiffel Tower. I know alot of people who don't remember anything about the Louvre etc... because for most of French people the museums and all the stuffs are synonymous of tourists crowds. I see that many people who are interested in the French culture know far more things than the average French. And i don't undestand why you hate tokyo for this reason. :confused: If you want to visit tokyo take a hato bus ;)

Also, I don't know how much you've had to deal with it, possibly some experience, but the way foreigners are treated off the bat compared to Osaka, or other smaller areas is another thing I don't like. Being as foreigners are so abundant in tokyo all these people have these precomposed images of what you are.

Well, japanese people are very sensitive about appearance etc.. so i think it s obvious that the average gainjin his t-shirt bought in Narita written Nippon ichi or luv japan...who think it s nice is considered as the average baka gaijin coming from the states. I know that being american is not always well seen compared with being european. Be different of the other western tourists and show that you really know their culture and i think you ll be seen differently. In Paris it s the same when we see tourists crowds in the street we see they are tourists. it s not because you are white that you are not well seen. Just because you look like an average tourist that s all.it gives a bad status i think. Not only japanese people have precomposed images but maybe it s exacerbated because Japan is an island. Japanese people have never seen Black people before WWII and don't have the racism concept of western people.

The assumption in Tokyo is that if you're foreign, you're here on vacation with no idea what's going on and can't speak at all, so you either get ignored something harsh, or get unecessarily babied through simple processes.

Same in France if you look like an average tourist. Why wasting time with tourists

To kind of illustrate, in tokyo if you're white, expect people to first attempt to speak english to you, while from my experiences in other parts of the country (fairly limited, so keep that in mind), people just treat you like another customer/person in terms of communication, then if you are someone who can't get by, they revert to English if possible.

Well i think you are wrong. Japanese people have a lot of difficulties with english. That's why they don't even try to speak english and use japanese. In smaller cities they are not accustomed to see gainjins so they don't have such a bad image. I don't understand why you feel offended because they speak to you in english first.

In smaller cities gainjins are more scarced and because the local pop tend to leave their place they are happy that foreignrs show some attention about their folks.

I'm not sure how well this holds up in reality though, my non kantou experience is fairly limited.

Well, i was born in Paris but i don't remember when i last climbed the Eiffel Tower. I know alot of people who don't remember anything about the Louvre etc... because for most of French people the museums and all the stuffs are synonymous of tourists crowds. I see that many people who are interested in the French culture know far more things than the average French. And i don't undestand why you hate tokyo for this reason. :confused: If you want to visit tokyo take a hato bus ;)

Also, I don't know how much you've had to deal with it, possibly some experience, but the way foreigners are treated off the bat compared to Osaka, or other smaller areas is another thing I don't like. Being as foreigners are so abundant in tokyo all these people have these precomposed images of what you are.

Well, japanese people are very sensitive about appearance etc.. so i think it s obvious that the average gainjin his t-shirt bought in Narita written Nippon ichi or luv japan...who think it s nice is considered as the average baka gaijin coming from the states. I know that being american is not always well seen compared with being european. Be different of the other western tourists and show that you really know their culture and i think you ll be seen differently. In Paris it s the same when we see tourists crowds in the street we see they are tourists. it s not because you are white that you are not well seen. Just because you look like an average tourist that s all.it gives a bad status i think. Not only japanese people have precomposed images but maybe it s exacerbated because Japan is an island. Japanese people have never seen Black people before WWII and don't have the racism concept of western people.

The assumption in Tokyo is that if you're foreign, you're here on vacation with no idea what's going on and can't speak at all, so you either get ignored something harsh, or get unecessarily babied through simple processes.

Same in France if you look like an average tourist. Why wasting time with tourists

To kind of illustrate, in tokyo if you're white, expect people to first attempt to speak english to you, while from my experiences in other parts of the country (fairly limited, so keep that in mind), people just treat you like another customer/person in terms of communication, then if you are someone who can't get by, they revert to English if possible.

Well i think you are wrong. Japanese people have a lot of difficulties with english. That's why they don't even try to speak english and use japanese. In smaller cities they are not accustomed to see gainjins so they don't have such a bad image. I don't understand why you feel offended because they speak to you in english first.

In smaller cities gainjins are more scarced and because the local pop tend to leave their place they are happy that foreignrs show some attention about their folks.

Your so full of shit. Are you ethnic Jap? Coz your screen name seems so.

Everything So So says I agree with. I`ve had the same experiences> I can communicate in Jap but Japs often insist on trying to use their shitty English, it pisses me off sometimes. So patronising.

I`m not suprised your from France and identify with the racist insular Japanese culture, French people are cold arrogant fucks with a false sense of superiority just like most Japanese I`ve met.

dude take it easy. If jap people insist on speaking english this is maybe because his japanese is weird. Or if it s not the case i understand that it pisses you off. I am not racist i am just showing the reality. jap people will consider you if you have made a lot of efforts to understand their language and their culture and it doesnt mean you have to show that you know everything. You have to show humlity. I don't have this sense of superiority you mean i am just showing what an average french is thinking. I don't agree with all this. French people are not really open minded first but i think relationship are less superficial in the long term. The american way to be cool with everybody is not in our culture so maybe it can be interpreted in such a way. My english is weird so that s why everything is not clear in my sentences. Soz if i you took it as i was racist. that was not my aim. Your last opinion about french and japs is true (for most people) but when the relationship is superficial. I mean, i think you don't like that people in the street or in a shops stare at you etc.. or that an air hostess keeps on speakin to you in english even if you make efforts. Why worriing about them. I think there are populations in the world who are more open minded with strangers but for closer relationships these criteria are not important. If you have friends, or just contacts i don't think they will keep on speaking to you in english or stare at you strangely :->

ps: i'm a halvsie from both countries that's why i'm a 200% arrogant bastard =]

i bought uniqlo heat tech inner things yesterday because the girl in the commercial is cute and SHE IS TELLING ME TO WEAR THEM OH MY

on another note

~めちゃマッチョ めっちゃBOOM BOOM 食べる

めちゃマッチョ メッチャMAN

めちゃマッチョ めっちゃBOOM BOOM 踊る

めちゃマッチョマッチョ BOOM BOOM FIRE~

should i kill myself for having that song stuck in my head?

Well, japanese people are very sensitive about appearance etc.. so i think it s obvious that the average gainjin his t-shirt bought in Narita written Nippon ichi or luv japan... Not only japanese people have precomposed images but maybe it s exacerbated because Japan is an island. Japanese people have never seen Black people before WWII and don't have the racism concept of western people...In smaller cities gainjins are more scarced and because the local pop tend to leave their place they are happy that foreignrs show some attention about their folks.

I'm calling you on this one, that is all bullshit!

i bought uniqlo heat tech inner things yesterday because the girl in the commercial is cute and SHE IS TELLING ME TO WEAR THEM OH MY

on another note

めちゃマッチョ メッチャMAN

めちゃマッチョ めっちゃBOOM BOOM 踊る

Para-para?! I mean come-on man....its not 2002 anymore...

This guy's comment is right on though....

最近顔の張りがおかしくねぇっすかこの女。

なんだか腎臓悪くした人みたいに...

それにしても右の方美人っすねぇ。

黒髪にちょっとしたアクセントってのがいい感じっす。

on another note

めちゃマッチョ メッチャMAN

めちゃマッチョ めっちゃBOOM BOOM 踊る

this amused me. continue.

I would actually argue that, since Japan is such a homogenous and isolated country, Western stereotypes would be perpetuated.

In fact, as Roderick Ngoro asserts in Representation in the ruling ideas of Japan about Africans/Blacks between 1984 and 2002, Japan does not have an official racial policy towards Africans. Since, right-wing Japanese politicians refuse to compromise their negative views about African culture to a pragmatic position. Similar research by professor John G. Russell in Narratives of Denial: Racial Chauvinism and the Black Other in Japan supports Ngoro's accusations: their inferiority is embedded into the consciousness of the Japanese residents.

And if you don't believe them, search "nigga" in this thread, seiji. -_-

Well, i was born in Paris but i don't remember when i last climbed the Eiffel Tower. I know alot of people who don't remember anything about the Louvre etc... because for most of French people the museums and all the stuffs are synonymous of tourists crowds. If you want to visit tokyo take a hato bus ;)

You're comment would be valid if that had anything to do with what I was talking about. Which, it doesn't. I didn't say 'oh god this japanese guy i know hasn't done this touristy stuff' . It's not even the fact that he hasn't been to the area, I was just trying to illustrate that it seems most people stay one area of tokyo without a lot of branching out. I suppose this is true for many other places as well, so it's not much of a complaint.

Be different of the other western tourists and show that you really know their culture and i think you ll be seen differently...it s not because you are white that you are not well seen. Just because you look like an average tourist that s all.it gives a bad status i think.

Wowowowowow, this is very much what I'm talking about. You don't know me, I highly doubt you've even seen a photo of me, and you immediately assume I'm wearing tacky shirts and dressing like a tourist. This is the kind of shit I hate.

Not only japanese people have precomposed images but maybe it s exacerbated because Japan is an island. Japanese people have never seen Black people before WWII and don't have the racism concept of western people.

I'm not even going to touch this.

In smaller cities they are not accustomed to see gainjins so they don't have such a bad image.

Wait, are you saying that seeing foreigners often means one will undoubtedly gain a negative disposition towards them?

To defend my comment about how I dislike having everyone speak english to me first or whatnot, if you reverse the situation, such as an Asian person who goes to france, everyone immediately speaks japanese to them, regardless of any ability or not, without even knowing if they are japanese.

Its just something I get tired of.

Anyways, lets stop the talk about this. We've been over it enough times in this thread alone I feel.

Wowowowowow, this is very much what I'm talking about. You don't know me, I highly doubt you've even seen a photo of me, and you immediately assume I'm wearing tacky shirts and dressing like a tourist. This is the kind of shit I hate.

sorry, when i said "you" I wasn't especially accusiing you. What i mean was that japanese people often don't like to be treated as exotic people and even less as asians. I think you have noticed on TV or elsewhere that they don't really consider to belong to Asia. Asia is another world for them. I repeat it again i wasnt saying that especially about you.

Wait, are you saying that seeing foreigners often means one will undoubtedly gain a negative disposition towards them?

Unfortunatly alot of japanese think they have been invaded by foreigners since the past decade especially asians (China nowadays) and labour force from Latina America or SEA. I often hear 外人が増えてるなあ. Not only foreigners are suffering about this even Korean from 2nd or 3rd generation still can't integrate sometimes the japanese system. Racism is tolerated in Japan and japanese people don't cleary understand the concept of globalisation or won't it... I say it again: I don't have such opinions! It s just a finding.

To defend my comment about how I dislike having everyone speak english to me first or whatnot, if you reverse the situation, such as an Asian person who goes to france, everyone immediately speaks japanese to them, regardless of any ability or not, without even knowing if they are japanese.

Its just something I get tired of.

I understand more about this now cuz yesterday i talked about it with japs. It seems that two decades ago it wouldn't happen so often but now with the bunch of tourists everywhere people can't always make the difference. What i really understand that it pisses you off is that people keep on talking to you in english even though you manage the language. I am half and it sometimes happen that people talk to me in english but i noticed that it was especially when i was freshly arrived from France. Maybe i still carry with me something raw :D I'm clothing slightly differently when i go to Japan and I read in sufu that i wasnt alone to do this. same for the haircut. I know it s frustrating but i think it s important to show some signs that you are not a tourist to avoid this immediate shitty english but it s not easy i agree. It s not only physical but in the manners etc.. When i talked with western people who lived a long time in Japan some said me that Westerns will never be japs and other that they became jap after 10 years living there. For instance i've got a friend who is 100% western and was born in Japan but came back to France for the first time when he was 18. The guy was really jap in the background when he arrived.

And yes in France Japs face the same pb and are complaining now to be called Nihouu in the streets. they can't bear to be confused with chinese. Japs will be japs =]

I would actually argue that, since Japan is such a homogenous and isolated country, Western stereotypes would be perpetuated.

In fact, as Roderick Ngoro asserts in Representation in the ruling ideas of Japan about Africans/Blacks between 1984 and 2002, Japan does not have an official racial policy towards Africans. Since, right-wing Japanese politicians refuse to compromise their negative views about African culture to a pragmatic position. Similar research by professor John G. Russell in Narratives of Denial: Racial Chauvinism and the Black Other in Japan supports Ngoro's accusations: their inferiority is embedded into the consciousness of the Japanese residents.

And if you don't believe them, search "nigga" in this thread, seiji. -_-

ok i didn't know all this. Actually, i don't know any black people living in Japan so I remove what I've just said. Sorry.

Just to add my 2 cents to the above discussion, I can understand where both of you are coming from. I've lived in Japan for 6 years and some of my Japanese friends have never explored and other parts of the city apart from where they were raised, went to school or hang out. Some of my friends are shocked when I tell them I had lunch in some place thats only 20 minutes away. Coming from Australia I used to find it really weird but now I'm used to it.

Also, the speaking in English first thing and the assumption that gaijins can't understand Japanese doesn't seem to happen as much as it used to. The only time it pisses me off is if I am drinking with my friends and there are people I'm meeting for the first time who insist on only using English even after its been established that I can speak Japanese. Or sometimes when I order food or drinks in a club somewhere and the staff will pretend they can't understand. Travelling to Bali and Thailand with my Japanese boyfriend I saw the other side of the coin, people insisting on using broken Japanese in order to rip him off and being pissed when he started using English.

i speak to nonjapanese people in english. cause english is universal. i don't like to speak to nonjapanese in japanese in japan.

what's wrong with japanese people wanting to practice english with natives?

i speak to nonjapanese people in english. cause english is universal. i don't like to speak to nonjapanese in japanese in japan.

what's wrong with japanese people wanting to practice english with natives?

Coz 90% of the time my Jap is waaaay better than their English so its an impedement to smooth communication. I dont want to help some JR fuck study their english when I`m trying to catch the right train.