japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

Hey, I hate to ask this kind of shit, but I'm curious to hear some other opinions.

I'm graduating university in about a week, and I very likely will be heading to Japan on a tourist visa to stay with friends while I look for a job, mostly in Osaka, but in Tokyo too. There is the big bilingual Career Forum in early July in Tokyo that I might be going to, but it seems like most of the jobs it hooks up are typical mind numbing corporate/IT jobs.

So what I'm curious about is what some other good options would be to keep in mind while looking for work. I'll be taking and likely passing JLPT 1kyuu this winter, and I have work experience in Japan (moderately upscale restaurant) so my options are a bit more open than other foreigners.

Is there any chance of hotels or places of that nature supporting work visa's? I'd prefer not to go the ALT route, so have been considering translation work (tiny bit of experience, barely enough to count), or something more service-industry oriented, though I'm open to a lot of other options.

Let me know what you think, or if you know about anything, I'd be forever grateful. PM or on here works.

How good is your japanese? 1kyuu doesn't really matter much; it only looks good on paper for foreign companies hiring non-japanese.

The tokyo career fair is aimed at japanese kids that went to college in the states. Native fluency is pretty much expected.

If you can, head to the boston career fair. It's also aimed toward japanese college students but there are a lot more opportunities for non native speakers. I know its in the fall but if you can swing out i've heard that its def worth it. Several of my non-japanese friends landed top jobs at the fair with 1kyuu.

Is there any chance of hotels or places of that nature supporting work visa's?

Have you considered applying for big hotel chains like Hyatt or ex-pat service apartment companies like Oakwood?

How the fuck did that get in here? I posted it in superconfessional.

I dont know what coat she was wearing. Im not all that familiar with womans clothing. It could have been this one: http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod39250009&ecid=BGALRFeedJ84DHJLQkR4&ci_src=14110925&ci_sku=T20QE

She is a once or twice a month shag. I have a regular rotation going so it is not too bad. When the hubby is supposed to be out working late, she will mail my keitai: " Im free tonight. Lets go somewhere. "

Sushi, sake and sex dont make for a bad evening when I would have been at home doing nothing.

Depht-

I've heard that about the career forums, and that's why I'm hesitant to even go, but I figure it's not like I'll be losing anything but time by going, and who knows, foreigners do go to it so even if we wouldn't be the focus there still might be opportunities floating around.

My Japanese is good, but not perfect. Conversations are probably my best area, though when things get overly academic or specific I occasionally have moments where I still find myself searching for words. I am a pretty decent reader, I'd can usually pick up a paper and read most of it, though if I'm using a dictionary or something I can get through most of it fine. I improve a lot when I'm actually using Japanese most of the day, which I haven't been for over a year now, so hopefully being in Japan will facilitate improvement.

Rajio-

I've not applied for hyatt, though I sent an email to Claska, on a longshot and haven't heard anything. I guess that should be obvious from no hotel experience plus needing visa support though. I haven't really checked out any expat related areas, I'll need to do though. From my limited experience, though, I kind of get a sleazy vibe from most expat operations.

huh, sleazy vibe?

Oakwood is fucking balla status.

Like at least 3G+ a month to rent their rooms.

Smap Kasunagi-san used to live in Oakwood Midtown.

Probably Oakwood and Ritz Carlton are the most balla service apartments in Tokyo.

The head of JP Morgan sales/trading lives in a 30K a month joint in RC Midtown.

Ain't no sleazy vibe if got benjis.

How good is golden brown?

fuckin solid as fuck

could go for one now

decent joint behind kat st's nsw store as well.. gorgonzola burger ftw.

but yeah GB's is a fuuuuuuuckin trek

i looked up the address and it's kinda far from nakame

it's in fucking ikejiri ohashi

ive been there once to visit a friend when i was like 8.

nothing there...

Guest jmatsu
i looked up the address and it's kinda far from nakame

it's in fucking ikejiri ohashi

ive been there once to visit a friend when i was like 8.

nothing there...

uuhhh they have a nice temple. not of jawns tho.

Just for your information, tailor & cutter suits have a British Cut so the middle button is higher, say a little below mid-chest. The lapels tend to be wider and the shoulders are a bit more fuller. Also, the back will be double vented. So if this is the type of suit you are looking for I would recommend them. Richard James also makes amazing suits. I have three now!

as a continuation of the coffee in Tokyo topic. I found a good place.. Go here if you want a good coffee and you are around Daikan-yama. It's just out of the stations Southern Exit. Great food as well, reminds me of my fav cafes here :)

DSC02997.jpg

and sometimes this guy is across the road, it's ok i guess, though i only had an iced coffee

DSC02998.jpg

Guest jmatsu
as a continuation of the coffee in Tokyo topic. I found a good place.. Go here if you want a good coffee and you are around Daikan-yama. It's just out of the stations Southern Exit. Great food as well, reminds me of my fav cafes here :)

DSC02997.jpg

and sometimes this guy is across the road, it's ok i guess, though i only had an iced coffee

DSC02998.jpg

not trying to be mean or nuthin, but everybody has been here. i don't find the coffee or food particularly spectacular. most people just go here outta convenience.

Guest jmatsu
Yeah, that place is ok. Typical gaijin / saitama/chiba-ken visitor trap sorta like the Condomania place in Harajuku.

i don't think i've ever been in condomania...

what's the point? all luvhotels got free condoms and you can always get some for free at most hospitals.

i usually go to sputnik cafe cause they got mad bitches coming through.

sign does have the ill location for watching people come and go from the station, but for a smaller spot, I used to go up the street to Eau Cafe (http://www.interq.or.jp/happy/kiyoto/Tokyo@Cafe/eaucafe.htm )because I knew a girl that worked there for a little while.

2897450369_f7da17a04f_o.jpg

Also, Japanese girls always like Aoya in Nakameguro. ( http://www.aoya-nakameguro.com/ ) its got a wafu/Kyoto vibe. Members only at night though.

bad66077.jpg

nah it's cool. I thought the coffee stood out there over all of the other joints i went to, most places handed out coffee that at home i would take back (then again it is highly doubtful it would be served to you in the first place). Good location too.. But yeh i will be heading back soon so please feel free to post your recs thanks.. I was also only in Tokyo for a total of 4 days so not enough time to checkout many places, just what was handy.

you're right though Raj lot's of gaijin there :(, then again i am a gaijin sooooo...

I had a confit duck salad there that was good and cheap

I sometimes go to Aoya to read.

That spot's gotten pretty blown up. It's all over Oshare (fashionable / cute)

cafe magazines. When I'm sitting at the counter reading, I see unsteezy couples coming in with maps.

I still like that spot near the river. Bakery on the 1st floor and cafe on top.

Frames is another option but not very steezy.

Eau cafe is the shit. Food and mimosa.

It's in the same bldg as lad musician.

Good date spot. Girls dig it.

My japanese friends have been super lame. All they wanna do is smoke, go to pachinko / pachislot. Fuck them.