Ideas for the next SuFu Denim Contest?!

^^Great post LeicaLad.

If we don't have the numbers to place an order, then why don't we get a denim shop involved? We could possibly fill the 100 jean requirement if a shop like BiG places an order with us. Sure the jean wouldn't be exclusive to SuFu community but it would still be a limited run, and we would still be able to have some input into the next contest jean. I can try emailing Gordon about this if you guys approve, or perhaps someone who knows him personally can talk to him about it?

S3000BK black denim of S3000VX 24990yen = ?? enough people for black ?

S7000VX special model. (re-produce 29190yen = GREAT

These sound amazing. I doubt enough people will be up for black, but I would be interested in either. The cinch back is awesome, I will definately be up for this. But that natural indigo sounds like it would make for an awesome contest.

it took me 6 months to finally get some 5000BKs. they arrived two weeks ago.

pleeeeeeease, no blacks...

for what it's worth, i think the more exotic we get in terms of model, the less chance we have of reaching 100 people (if that's still the magic number).

let's face it - the more generic the cut; the greater the versatility; the wider the appeal.

getting a shitload of people to sign up to a pair of 5000VXs would be piss easy.

plus, personally, i love the idea of a classic cut with a simple SuFu twist, like selvedge that reflects the sites colours or whatever. that's my two cents worth.

keep up the good work (both) you guys.

So is the S7000VX the cut of the S5000VX with different denim, a buckle back, etc?

I think that given those options, I'd probably be more interested in seeing what Samurai themselves is releasing this year.

As an official fence-sitter/lurker, I have to say that I'm with the previous posters in that I'm awaiting details before throwing in my hat for either contest. As a knee-jerk reaction I'd be more inclined to go with a Sugarcane contest because of the minute details (funky pocket bags/lined back pockets, etc.) they employ, but without knowing specifics, I'm staying on the sidelines. Although beatle is, in fact, awesome for organizing this and getting the ball rolling on the current SuFu Samurai contest, if the current choices beatle mentioned are indicative of the Samurai options, I wouldn't indulge since I'm not interested in either bucklebacks or black jeans. If my involvement meant one vote either way as far as a 'customised' jean went however, you can both count me in for the time being. I'm a big fan of exclusivity, although my current collection of denim might indicate otherwise. I just hope recent developments haven't put the kibosh on a Sugar Cane option.

I think that given those options, I'd probably be more interested in seeing what Samurai themselves is releasing this year.

That is what they are releasing this year...

Oh, sorry. I thought that's what they offered up for the contest, not what they were releasing. I guess they are one in the same. Gotta admit, glad to see the AI on that list...

That is what they are releasing this year...

Oh! I was under the impression those were the offerings for the new competition jeans! Well then I'm still very interested in Samurai developments!

Curse you scotch, and your powers to cripple my reading comprehension!

the s7000vx is a early 1900 model, it has a high rise and is a loose cut. Go try on a pair of 1933 or earlier LVC, the fit will be similar.

The S3000 is pretty much the same, perhaps a little lower rise and a little less full cut, but I'd still say it's regular/loose depending on how you size it. Fit like 1944 LVC.

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/d-stock/540681/596856/#577147

I'd definitely be up for the s7000.

It would be great if they did that with belt loops and two pockets, though...

imo then it wouldn't be the 7000. It's got suspender buttons-I understand the justification for wanting belt loops, but unless you cut off the cinch and remove the suspender buttons, you'd be hard pushed to get a belt on them without hurting yourself (suspender buttons), or the belt. Surely a 7000 with belt loops and two back pockets would be a 3000 wouldn't it? But I agree 14oz would be great.

Just received a call from sugarcane. Some key points were said.

For them it is much easier to provide a standard jean for the contest ala samurai. They suggested to me the okinawa SC40301N, which are some great jeans, but we are negotiating on a custom jean as you all know. From the comments and PMs i received, I think i got the the style of jeans that most people would prefer. So I proposed the following;

1945 cut with medium rise and without the hip flare.

Hawaii denim in a very high tension weave

Okinawa details, such as green selvage, green pocket bags and pockets.

36" inseam

This idea for the jeans will be discussed tomorrow in Japan.

Now, this is were superfuture comes in.

The thing is that a custom order like this requires some months to be filled. So for this to happen i will need a list of the people who are committed around 5 months before the contest, since sugarcane will make the quantities/sizes we demand. The other issue is that this jeans will be VERY limited. As everybody knows, the more limited and rare something is, the more it's worth. So it is very likely that this will command a premium price. A premium price that I will try to negotiate but will be very hard to keep down because these jeans would be so limited.

So here's the deal

For this incredible project to happen, we need the most people possible. at least 100. The more people we have, the lower the cost and the sweeter the prize!

So this is what is going to happen.

I will leave the country for 3 weeks tomorrow. Sugarcane will discuss the jeans tomorrow. During the following 3 weeks they will decide what they are willing to do for us, depending on the demand. Superfuture has to PM me stating their interest if they are willing to participate. When i return in the middle of June, I will count the participants and post a list. I will then contact sugarcane and tell them how much interest i received. So basically, the number of people willing to participate in the contest determines the future of the project.

PM me if you want to participate. I will log on tonight for the last time and answer any questions.