Ideas for the next SuFu Denim Contest?!

I think everyone decided that the fit has be regular to appeal to the masses, so I think thats pretty much such... If we are steering away from repro, then the rise should be mid, or low, not a high waisted pair like most repros. I think that alone would make a nice basic cut jean, then we can go nuts on selvedge colors, tabs, patches, lined pockets etc, oh and of course the denim

also, i dont think this pair could possibly be really 'trendy', as hjj said.. I disagree with that... since its made in really small numbers, thats not really possible - unless its pre distressed with a serious boot cut or something

This thread has been interesting. It is clear that our next contest will be either/both Samurai and Sugar Cane. I’m really happy with either, although I think we have enough members to do both. Then the contest could be both within brand and between brands. A final showdown could compare the winners.

Several times, though, in the discussion of possible other brand choice/options, I’ve seen a statement to the effect “if [brand D] were so good, why isn’t it already hot..?†For a board dedicated to finding the best among the smaller brands, isn’t this a rather weird sentiment?

Actually, it was said several times in reference to 5EP, which is essentially a small Mom&Pop (and child) operation trying to make it with a quality product. They aren’t RL, Levi’s or even a Toyo/Sugar Cane. Frankly, they are much closer to Andre Whall’s one-man (+) shop than any of these other brands. And, like Andre, they are putting their efforts into winning clientele through quality, attention to detail and service.

I’m not saying we need to go overboard for any small maker, but I sorta thought this WAS the place that small players got fair breaks to be judged on the quality of their product BEFORE the hype became the deciding factor.

Just IMHO.

I could easily go with Sugarcane too. Either one is fine by me. Maybe FOB 151?

sugarcan okinawas or fob f151s would be freakin great.

the fobs would have to have the og leather patch with the helicoptors. thats a must.

and NO 5EP!

This thread has been interesting. It is clear that our next contest will be either/both Samurai and Sugar Cane. I’m really happy with either, although I think we have enough members to do both. Then the contest could be both within brand and between brands. A final showdown could compare the winners.

Several times, though, in the discussion of possible other brand choice/options, I’ve seen a statement to the effect “if [brand D] were so good, why isn’t it already hot..?†For a board dedicated to finding the best among the smaller brands, isn’t this a rather weird sentiment?

Actually, it was said several times in reference to 5EP, which is essentially a small Mom&Pop (and child) operation trying to make it with a quality product. They aren’t RL, Levi’s or even a Toyo/Sugar Cane. Frankly, they are much closer to Andre Whall’s one-man (+) shop than any of these other brands. And, like Andre, they are putting their efforts into winning clientele through quality, attention to detail and service.

I’m not saying we need to go overboard for any small maker, but I sorta thought this WAS the place that small players got fair breaks to be judged on the quality of their product BEFORE the hype became the deciding factor.

Just IMHO.

my opinion is that the people who've suggested 5ep have done it zealously. I don't like getting someone else's opinion shoved down my throat. Might want to work on that til next time.

And even then, I prefer SC/Samurai because I like their product better.

my opinion is that the people who've suggested 5ep have done it zealously. I don't like getting someone else's opinion shoved down my throat. Might want to work on that til next time.

And even then, I prefer SC/Samurai because I like their product better.

And do you not express your opinions with "zeal"?

I'd be keen in a pair of the Samurai's. Some kind of lowish rise slim fit preferably. *Thinks FH3001*

Never been all that interested in Sugar Canes. Especially not if they will be sporting Union Star arctuates.:(

how can i vote for either sam or sc if we dont kno what each company is offering?

those are the only two that sound interesting to me so far anyhow

What we´re trying to do here is to find out how many people are interested in a contest - and especially in samurai or Sugar Cane.

There is no reason to bother either one of the companies - regarding a limited SuFu edition, if we don´t get 100 people..

Still interested - how many are down for Sugar Cane -

Sam counts 46 right now...

;)

I think 100 is pushing things a bit.

You would be better to give a closure date and then count how many people have registered interest by that time, otherwise we could be here forever and a day.

First you need to give detailed proposals of what Samuari can offer us, otherwise people dont know what they're signing up for!!

For example, I am signed up to Samurai, but if it turns out the model is a 'dior' type, low rise - skinny, 'emo' type there isnt a chance in hell I will go into the Samuari competition.

However, if both the Samurai and Sugar Cane end up being 'normal bloke' universal fit, then I am gonna get both.

It really depends on what is being offered.

I think 100 is pushing things a bit.

You would be better to give a closure date and then count how many people have registered interest by that time, otherwise we could be here forever and a day.

First you need to give detailed proposals of what Samuari can offer us, otherwise people dont know what they're signing up for!!

For example, I am signed up to Samurai, but if it turns out the model is a 'dior' type, low rise - skinny, 'emo' type there isnt a chance in hell I will go into the Samuari competition.

However, if both the Samurai and Sugar Cane end up being 'normal bloke' universal fit, then I am gonna get both.

It really depends on what is being offered.

Yep, 100 is definitely a stretch considering that there's 2 contest that requires 100 each.

The cut has been decided, not confirmed though. Samurai = regular straight fit, SC = modern cut (slim) iirc.

beatle, is there any way you can get the details from samurai? Tell them you are working on getting 100.. just by asking Im sure they wont be offended and tell you to go away until you get 100 signed up surely... Ask what they are willing to do for us

Personally, I think a S5000VX in Texas Cotton would be cool too, but I have a feeling everyones not down for texan cotton anymore since its been done

I really wanna see something like the PBJ XX-006 denim

48? Not bad, halfway there in three days?

If it goes as a ltd, they could produce an extra X # of pairs for BIG.

They could have the big fancy release page, with a link to the contest here... potential for more members=more pulling power next time people want a SUFU ltd.

Just curious Beatle... but you said their other Ltd for this year will be another 21oz? Any other insider details? (don't worry, it will not affect my participation in 'the contest')

Khaltire: I think 5000 in texas would be good too but too similar. Jin hasn't been done, and isn't otherwise avail in the 5000cut (or without Lee pockets)

Ok, Samurai is traditional cut -good. Whats the weight? I think that 15oz (or lighter) is ideal for around the year usage and for those that live in Summerland... I'm still saying that it would be very special from Samurai to produce jeans from 14-15oz (super durable of course) denim... ;)

Still no count for Sugar Cane ? Starting to get worried about you guys...

I have no intention of asking Samurai what limited edition we could do - if I have only 48 people down...I doubt that we'll get another 70 ....due to flakers I would want to collect 120 pms - as said before..

I mean - it does'nt make any sense - we would simply look stupid not coming up with at least the amount of people that it takes for a limited edition..

As stated earlier - 14 - 15 oz denim

Straight reagular fit.

So what's up with SC ???

What about Ande's jeans? Seems like that would be easy enough to negotiate, and it would be sweet to have everyone not only supporting him, but also getting to test out the new v4's.

Granted, this all depends on whether Ande would be down/is physically able to make pairs for a bunch of people..