what are you eating today?

soepom

it depends actually. some food critics like to use their occupation as a trump card, cause they end up getting a whole spread of food items plus the entire meal free when they do.

yeah i guess if you're not reviewing the restaurant, then that's OK, but from what i've read, when the restaurant give a special spread for the critic, it's not what the rest of the dining room is eating, so the review they'd publish wouldn't be for the food the other diners would wind up eating.

has anyone else read Ruth Reichl's book "Garlic and Sapphires" about her time as the New York Times food critic? it's not the best writing but it's pretty entertaining, she had to get creative about who she ate with and went as far as to wear wigs and get credit cards in fake names to avoid being recognized!

i have also been privy to the 5 Guys burger on several occasions. it is a completely different animal than a fat, loosely packed burger you'd get at a bar, but i still like it, i think it depends what you're in the mood for. it's everything a McDonald's hamburger should be (and maybe used to be, before they got all industrial?).

fries aren't bad, either.

some belated pics...

took dad out to jackson's for his 70th the other week. i have been absolutely blown away by the food there in the past, neal jackson has definitely earnt his reputation. although it probably wasnt up to the same standard this time, it was still pretty brilliant.

WDYET230408.jpg

from top to bottom:

1. squid ink pasta, shark bay crab meat, chilli & parsley with salt & pepper squid

2. miso braised beef cheek with potato mash mushrooms & broccoli

3. honey & black pepper duck breast, duck leg & plum pancake

4. amelia park lamb rack & mongolian shoulder, spiced pumpkin & greens

5. strawberry soufflé with strawberries & cream

6. fragrant fruits with rose petal & pistachio ice cream

7. double espresso

the strawberry soufflé was absolutely amazing.

at my favourite sheesha place:

wayet0509aep3.jpg

bukhari chicken with special spiced rice

wayet0509bnh8.jpg

tweeds had crispy chicken with rice. it looks black and unappetising. but it's good.

haven't had mum's cooking in a while:wayet0510amb9.jpg

desserts at work this afternoon (didn't get photos of the rest of the buffet):

wayet0511axd5.jpg

mother's day, and mum felt like crab again, so we trotted down to the new seafood restaurant that opened next to our place. it's a godsend:

wayet0511bfj5.jpg

young coconut, pork rib king (honey glazed pork ribs), 佛泼瓢香 (i don't know how to translate this... it's not a descriptive name, but a metaphorical name) - essentially, it's mixed vegetables, cashew, chicken and prawn, in a nest made of flaky yam paste.

wayet0511cfm2.jpg

black pepper crab. just one big one, and it weighed 1.5kg!

imagine two small azn women ate all that.

cant rep SP but man when i got to sing ( which is where my sister is now) ill definitelty going there! could you pm me the address of that resto? thanks

^ nothing much to "know". i think it's just a matter of being open to trying new types of food and allowing yourself to be more aware of what you're tasting. start with experimenting what combinations of foods go well together in a simple sandwich!

eg. i like: alfafa with cheese, spicy pork floss (an asian way of preparing pork, making it dry and powdery) and tomatoes/ grilled aubergines

anyways. dinner with a friend today:

wayet0513amv3.jpg

assorted sashimi. i really liked how they presented it (can't tell from the pic, but it was a really tall bowl of shaved ice) of course, i wouldn't have minded more sashimi in proportion to the ice... but it looked nice so i'll let it pass...

wayet0513bkd1.jpg

my favourite from here - kaki bacon yaki (oysters baked with bacon and spinach)

wayet0513chi3.jpg

gindara teriyaki. cod fish.

dessert!

wayet0513dxf7.jpg

guava sorbet which was pretty good! i should've gone with a cup instead of the cone though. the cone was too sweet - spoiled the lightness of the sorbet.

past two pages look great, here's the dinner i made for mother's day

Meat and cheese platter with proscuitto, salami, gouda, manchego, and one other one cheese that I can't remember the name of but it was a sheep's and cow's milk cheese with black truffles

2ecqj42.jpg

Butternut squash soup with creme fresche and fried sage leaf

wchcsg.jpg

Mixed green salad with pears, walnuts, bacon, and bleu cheese

2lgl5.jpg

Pork chops with a fig and apricot chutney over roasted potatoes and trio of mushrooms

qpml37.jpg

Butternut squash soup with creme fresche and fried sage leaf

wchcsg.jpg

a question about soup garnishes: what does one do with something like a fried sage leaf? save it for the end and eat it all at once? break it up into parts with the side of your spoon and eat it bit by bit? balance it on one's nose to entertain other diners?

EDIT: dizzlecan't rep but you've done it again. nice job on the cheeses!