what are you eating today?

soepom

felix - that looks fantastic dude....white asparagus is delicious.

ive always wondered - does it make your pee smell as much as the green stuff does...?

hahah there is no difference between green and white asparagus when it comes to pee smell....

@Whit: that muffin doesnt look good at all...like one of those that you can buy at a discount grocery store in a pack of 20 hahahah

sulumeria dish of cured meats, aged cheeses. bread olives and garnishes. cheeses are fontina val d'aosta, cacio riccotta,taleggio, ect. meats include prucuitto d' parma, soppresatta,duck prociutto, speck, mortadella. pic doesnt have all of it but at training at the new restaurant i got to try much more. so much that i am stuffed everyday. i also get to wear denim to work so its all good really.

quartinosalumiom8.jpg

teleggio... fuckin a. good stuff. nothing better than meats and cheeses in my opinion.

there's a cheese/slumeria shop near my apt that gets the craziest stuff in. they have a leg of jamon iberico de bellota chilling right on the counter. it sells $25 for a 1/4 pound(!!!). dude there usually hooks me up with a slice when i go in there. stuff is completely unbelievable.

I'm not' date=' actually. I just saw your question about the Guinness Steak Pie too... the pie, my fake poutine, and I are about 3000 miles away from NYC. I'm there often enough though... love Pomme Frites with just the plain ol' frite sauce (aioli?). Gotta try the curds next time![/quote']

my man... mango chutney, that's all you need to know. get it next time, and if you're feeling bold, mix it with the chili sauce. out of this world. the war sauce is amazing too.

teleggio... fuckin a. good stuff. nothing better than meats and cheeses in my opinion.

there's a cheese/slumeria shop near my apt that gets the craziest stuff in. they have a leg of jamon iberico de bellota chilling right on the counter. it sells $25 for a 1/4 pound(!!!). dude there usually hooks me up with a slice when i go in there. stuff is completely unbelievable.

supersalumeria wins this page (with soepom the usual close second).

the jamón iberico is expensive as shit in spain, too. i went there all thinking i was going to be pigging out on delicious, low-cost cured pig and no it was by far the most expensive thing on most restaurant menus!

i did manage to smuggle back through US customs a nice big piece of "lomo" which is some kind of other cut of pork that is cured and much less expensive.

I've been home lots so I end up cooking dinners. Most of it is done hastily, with love but not really made to impress with appearance. This one turned out well though... veggies looked like they tasted (crispy yet absorbed some sweet and soy flavors). The rice has bits of cumin and tomato sauce in it (from a sardine can :D ).

dsc8902bz4.jpg

I ate at momofuku ko tonight. It was very good, I expected good but it was really a treat. After 2 months of trying to get a reservation it was worth it. Great food and great atmosphere.

you motherfucker. i gave up trying after the bruni review. standout dishes? disappointing dishes? oddest use of pork product?

I ate at momofuku ko tonight. It was very good, I expected good but it was really a treat. After 2 months of trying to get a reservation it was worth it. Great food and great atmosphere.

after you and xadam writing about this i really wanna try this place...also want to try the rest of the group. Sounds like Chang is really innovative with pork.

today i had cuttle fish ball ho fan soup w/ seaweed, put some chiu chow style chili oil in there. Later tonight for dinner i believe i am having some kind of pasta, and barbecued pigeons.

you motherfucker. i gave up trying after the bruni review. standout dishes? disappointing dishes? oddest use of pork product?

nothing really disappointed. maybe one fish dish was a little dry, i think it was the halibut. it was 11 courses, standouts were shaved foie gras with riesling gelee and lychees, ribs (but you can get very similar ones at the ssam), pasta with escargot. the desserts were outstanding as well as the soup and egg dishes.

it was a fun experience. it's not the best food in the world but it's very good. we were talking to one of the chefs all the time and just taking our time. it's only 12 seats and everyone besides me and my friend was asian :D

after you and xadam writing about this i really wanna try this place...also want to try the rest of the group. Sounds like Chang is really innovative with pork.

If you ate asian food all your life you will be sorely disappointed with any of his restaurants. Especially if you've eaten in Asia.

If you ate asian food all your life you will be sorely disappointed with any of his restaurants. Especially if you've eaten in Asia.

I don't think you can go there and expect authentic asian cuisine. It is a fusion restaurant and I think the base of his success comes from making this food fun and very enjoyable. I never ate at the noodle bar just ssam and ko and I'll eat there again.

it's only 12 seats and everyone besides me and my friend was asian :D

Asians girls = food hypebeasts and Ko is like the restaurant version of Supreme. I wanna go but all the ppl I would want to go with are too broke for dinner + wine pairing.

I really liked Ssam but his ramen was pretty terrible to anyone who has had real ramen.

I don't think you can go there and expect authentic asian cuisine. It is a fusion restaurant and I think the base of his success comes from making this food fun and very enjoyable. I never ate at the noodle bar just ssam and ko and I'll eat there again.

I never said there is anything wrong with fusion in fact my favorite place to eat on a regular basis is Lan nearby for french/japanese.

I dont find his cooking particularly good thats all. I mean he's getting 3 star ny times reviews which is saying his restaurant is up to par with the French Laundry, that's ridiculous.

I never said there is anything wrong with fusion in fact my favorite place to eat on a regular basis is Lan nearby for french/japanese.

I dont find his cooking particularly good thats all. I mean he's getting 3 star ny times reviews which is saying his restaurant is up to par with the French Laundry, that's ridiculous.

yeah but frank bruni is the biggest chang dickrider in this city. you gotta expect that.

as far as the food being a disappointment if you're asian? fuck that, shit ain't chinatown. he acknowledges that his restaurants mainly attract "round eyes" (kinda surprised there were so many azn's at ko), and i never fuck w/ the ramen when i go there. too many dishes that are so much better. cold smoked duck w/ cinnamon sour cream and the shrimp with rice cakes are next level, pork buns are obviously great, his poulet rouge is like the juiciest piece of chicken i've ever eaten; it's just good food man.

my wife hates the pork buns, she's like "the ones in nagasaki are much much better"

Yet we couldnt find a place in Nagasaki for one.

really good chicken is hard to come by. I buy this chicken http://jidorichicken.com/ all the time from Mitsuwa and it always cooks up super juicy and flavorful. All I need to season it with is really good salt.

no pics...

breakfast - all bran + banana + skim milk......double espresso

lunch - diet passionfruit yoghurt

dinner - hainanese chicken rice......coke zero

and another double espresso a couple hours ago.

pretty pissweak food for the day....ive got bulk study to do at the moment, so im stressed and not really eating that much.

the state - that cold smoked duck with cinnamon sour cream sounds amazing.

yeah the ramen place probably can't fuck with the joint in minami-aoyama i usually hit up when in tokyo...actually im mainly interested in checking out the signature restaurant ko to see if it lives up to the hype and for the sake of saying i been there. Haven't heard this much hype surrounding an Asian eatery in the States since Nobu first opened (which was indeed quite good then, but has been on a decline since and at this point pretty sure past its prime). But the point about being used to asian cuisine and being able to appreciate a 'fusion' take on it is valid. Susur in Toronto is a total hack!!! Have eaten there on several occasions back in high school (never had to pay during any of them, otherwise wouldn't have gone back), and was never impressed with the food there. One time he even served up a very generic dish commonly found in China, pickled vegetables with braised fatty pork and it was on his tasting menu main dish which i assumed was reserved for something more creative...