what are you eating today?

soepom

nice move on the Coors Light.

the state, that duck sounds next-level. sometimes i think people get too caught up in labeling and comparing food when really you just need to enjoy it without worrying about its authenticity. especially in fucking America, where our food culture is so mixed that authenticity doesn't really mean anything (this is a good thing!).

went to a crepe place tonight:

buckwheat crepe with powdered pine nuts, prosciutto and reblochon cheese

i5njpw.jpg

and for the first time ever had flambeed crepes for dessert. it wasn't the famous "crepes suzette," it was filled with apples and calvados. YUM.

5p1ier.jpg

lunch at home:

wayet0529lt0.jpg

picture-perfect fried rice

after the success of the first picnic, we decided to invite more friends, and take it right to the astro turf next to their office on a work day. i think i'm going to start a picnic-during-lunch hour movement. (wine at lunch has got to be good for you)

wayet0528auk2.jpg

soepomsandwichesâ„¢, yakult, seedless grapes, korean strawberries, brie, pepper chedder, carrs, wheat biscuits, wine (not pictured)

whizkit we will hit your joint soon!

later that day...

wayet0528blk3.jpg

sea asparagus chowder - i've heard of sea cucumber, but sea asparagus was new. it also tastes just like... nothing. soup was pretty tasty, but overwhelmed any subtlety in taste the shellfish might have had to begin with. or maybe thats the point...

mum made light lunch the next day:

wayet0530iv6.jpg

juicy thin yakiniku-esque slices of beef with veg and tofu, and pumpkin soup

breakfast today:

wayet0531aeq0.jpg

simple luxuries. so often we don't want what's good, we just want... what we want...

wayet0531bxy6.jpg

the way we want it...

wayet0531cng1.jpg

soft boiled eggs ftw!

wayet0531dzy3.jpg

love this!

mum and i were hungry so i made us supper (for a change):

wayet0531enn5.jpg

soepom only knows how to make pasta, sandwiches, and random concoctions she didn't knew she could make till she made them... spaghetti with sundried tomatoes, beef pastrama, ham, long beans, shitake, stir-through sauce (ok i cheated! but my mum said it was good)

^i need to cop for a quick breakfast.

more training today and i got to sample quite a bit more than i could find pics for.

angus beef carpaccio with shaved celery and parmigiano-reggiano.

beefcarpaccioag6.jpg

profiteroles. vanilla gelato, chocolate sauce, and toasted almonds.

profitorolesxd5.jpg

thorough, what are you training for? are you a chef?

sorry but the idea of celery on beef carpaccio just ruins it for me. then again i'm a celery-hater.

naw im just training to be a server. we get to try over half the stuff on the gigantic menu.we also have a grappa cured samon carpaccio thats way better but i dont have pics.

Guest sousvide

dsc08155mg3.jpg

dsc08155mg3.3ac9e1fbd1.jpg

lamb neck consomme with poached summer truffle and sousvide lamb neck and toasted brioche. all part of a 7 course milk fed baby lamb dinner we did at work.

lunch at home yesterday:

wayet0601rd1.jpg

fish was fresshhhh (check out my mum's kick-ass fish deboning skill! not a single tiny bone except the spine - perhaps it might hard for people who grew up eating only fish fillets to appreciate this, but man... i love steamed fish, but the bones and occasional scale can be such a bitch)

lunch today:

premium rice dumpling + lotus soup

wayet0602agk7.jpg

wayet0602bta5.jpg

wayet0602cdn2.jpg

my grandma makes the dumplings for us every year to celebrate the duan wu festival. the old lady sure can cook, and she sure knows how to keep you wanting more. we only get one precious dumpling each! glutinous rice with salted egg yolk, dried scallop, roast pork, roast duck, gingko nuts, lotus seeds, chestnut, mushroom, dried shrimp... wrapped in bamboo leaves.

there's one left for tweedles - but i'm really tempted to devour it before he drops by...

dinner at work:

wayet0602djm7.jpg

duck leg confit (they changed the sauce to something called "fruit infused jus", and i like it better now)

wayet0602ewo7.jpg

grilled portabello salad

photos making me envious as per usual jo!

who was the lucky one that got to eat the fish cheeks...?

those dumplings look amazing. i think i might have to go and grab some tomorrow, theres a store i go to in northbridge that does killer lo mai gai, and zongzi with lap cheong....$2.50 each! perfect comfort food, and dirt cheap.

photos making me envious as per usual jo!

who was the lucky one that got to eat the fish cheeks...?

those dumplings look amazing. i think i might have to go and grab some tomorrow, theres a store i go to in northbridge that does killer lo mai gai, and zongzi with lap cheong....$2.50 each! perfect comfort food, and dirt cheap.

i know it's a desecration of good fish - but neither my mum nor i are particularly fond of fish cheeks. we both like the tail bits...

what i meant to ask you the last time you were here is - you seem to really know your asian food. is it because of family or is it because it's popular in perth? i mean, even some singaporean chinese wouldnt know to say "zongzi with lap cheong" :)

and yes azn8oi. it is next level knifework indeed. apparently in chinese cooking, it is the one surest way of knowing the chef's standard. how fine the ginger is shredded is already an indicator of how good your food will be.

i got some neg rep for professing my dislike for in n out. but some animal style fries does hit the spot every once in awhile.

187.jpg

okonomiyaki a few days ago

176.jpg

nice stuff soepom. home made zongzi on a small scale is the ONLY way to go. eat the extra instead of giving it away :) early bird gets the worm.

whitney don't let your cupcake fall over!