what are you eating today?

soepom

2467361065_7dcc9ab72e_o.jpg

macaronzzzz

dark chocolate, violet and bergamote

cookies and cream cheese cake in the background

ah can't beat the pierre herme ones we had i'm sure heh. we is be back in townz. tweeds has the digital loots. we be waits for him to uploads.

here're the few pics i've got on my camera

singapore airlines plane food is really not bad:

planefood1tg4.jpg

planefood2xh4.jpg

kaiten sushi was really affordable, and pretty good by my plebeian standards. tried some varieties of seafood that we don't normally get back home (couldn't photograph most of it because there were just too many plates and too little space):

img7221za9.jpg

img7222cx1.jpg

then there's the requisite convenience store purchases (late night suppers and lunch respectively)

img7228zs7.jpg

img7233rx7.jpg

Spot on.

check out C J's Cafe on pico too. Very reasonably priced (for LA standards)

Damn I'm good. :P

I still haven't been there yet, but I've heard they make a plethora of overly rich stuff like Oreo, butterscotch, caramel pancakes / Nutella, cheesecake french toast / etc.

The first time I went I wasent too impressed, probably because I tried the savory stuff

The nutella toast is spot on though.

Canters is also worth checking out, they have a deli/bakery in the front that will blow your mind

The first time I went I wasent too impressed, probably because I tried the savory stuff

The nutella toast is spot on though.

Canters is also worth checking out, they have a deli/bakery in the front that will blow your mind

Canter's or Jerry's are obligatory 3 AM post-club stops. Although the latter is a bit pricey for diner food.

There are too many damn breakfast places around Hollywood / W. Hollywood to keep track of. Joan's, Griddle Cafe, Toast, Swingers, King's Road Cafe, Taste, Grub, The Waffle, etc.

that nutella toast looks too good....

okay i got the pics from tweeds. we had to eat cheap cos all our dough went to shopping. but it was not bad anyways! (sorry so many pics have my face in it - i was being a tourist.)

img8147awo9.jpg

pierre herme macaroons

at MEAL MUJI

img8172aqx7.jpg

img8168api9.jpg

street food in Kamakura

img8194aag5.jpg

the one i'm eating is chicken skin yakitori. yep. nothing but skewered chicken skin...

img8184acr7.jpg

japanese rice crackers. huge ass!

img8187acd6.jpg

at a noodle restaurant in Yokohama

img8225ajj2.jpg

bukakke noodles! couldn't stop laughing about it

img8224aqk5.jpg

upon plongin's recommendation for good fast food burgers, we tried Lotteria:

img8125awn6.jpg

the Zeppin burger was pretty good, as was the house standard

i love that you can get yakult from vending machines in tokyo. in fact, i love that you can get anything in vending machines!

img8128aci4.jpg

miso soup with clams at another kaiten sushi place (but were so ravenous we didnt stop to photograph the rest of the stuff)

img8341arj1.jpg

at Pronto Cafe, chain of "italian" cafes (i like jap-ified italian food)

img8321awh8.jpg

eggplant and ham

img8319asm1.jpg

carbonara with a half-boiled egg (which gives the pasta a great texture)

late night supper:

img8102aor5.jpg

special seasonal (spring-only) cup noodles. with little sakura fishcakes!

singapore airlines plane food on the way home:

img8349afn3.jpg

img8343aqk9.jpg

it was really pretty tasty.

yeah the idea of making something that contains ONLY chicken skin is mind-blowing. i would also love to try that.

thanks for all the fantastic pics!

i tried my hand yesterday at "kibe de forno" (oven-baked kibbeh pie). turned out pretty fucking good. basically ground beef which i seasoned with salt, pepper, nutmeg, onion, garlic, cilantro and mint, all mixed together with a good amount of bulger, spread in a baking dish and baked for about 45 minutes. a great one-dish meal. this is clearly a middle-eastern dish but immigrants brought it to Brazil and it's quite common here.

2cid3ee.jpg

So the macaroons at Pierre Herme were heavenly, but we couldn't bring any back for mum - but to my great delight, I found these miniatures, made to scale (1/12) and with great details, sold exclusively at Pierre Herme. The fact that my mum is already an avid collector of japanese food miniatures just makes this a perfect early mother's day gift.

img8407aqb4.jpg

the paper bag in the back ground of the photo, is the actual sized paper bag used at Pierre Herme.

img8413aib9.jpg

img7285yr0.jpg

it's hard to capture all the details on camera, but even the individual macaroons can be taken out of the plastic box. this is so for the tiny chocolate pieces as well.

img7289md9.jpg

^i know right! it's fascinating just to discover each detail. makes me wish i tried every single original confectionary that the miniatures are modeled after!

anyways. back to the island. and had to celebrate with some local food.

img8399ama8.jpg

sambal kangkong vegetables, caramelised baby squids, stir fried fish with spring onion and ginger.

and what better than what we are famous for:

img8404ape7.jpg

chilli crab, with deep fried buns. 1.6kg worth of crabs, only for 3 people! shiok!

and to completely satisfy my craving for some good ol singaporean food, we had to hit the food court and coffee shops for plebeian eating at its best.

img7297gm8.jpg

hokkien prawn noodles. flavourful - you can taste that it's been fried with sufficient heat in the wok! (wok-hei is a difficult concept to translate)

img7299ui5.jpg

paper prata (this was really good. super thin, practically crumbles in your hand as you break it off)

img7301ao2.jpg

mee goreng (muslim indian fried noodles) and sirap limau (rose syrup drink with lime)

I have a question on ettiquete. What do you guys feel about snapping pictures at very fancy restaurants? (think michelin 3 star). I might have an opportunity to experience said place and i'd really like to take pictures because it's my first time at a truly nice place, blah blah blah.

My gut reaction is that it isn't proper ettiquete...I can't image pulling out my SLR at the table.

I would personally never do it and find it somewhat tacky (if we're talking 3 Michelin starred restaurants), but I think it's only offensive to those around you when you have the flash going off multiple times. Odds are that if you really need to see pics of the food at a restaurant you ate at after the fact, there are problem some online that some other dude took.

I think in an episode of No Reservations Bourdain commented on the drastic increase in people photo-documenting their eating experiences.......Hell, with all the crazy theatrical restaurants popping up biting El Bulli and such, it's hard not to feel the urge to snap a few shots of your $500 meal.

if you think what's on your plate is a work of art worth remembering, i don't see what's wrong. its appreciation of the chef's work. if you do it without disturbing anyone else, there shouldn't be any issue.

tacky and touristy, yes. but its about as wrong as walking round a city taking shots of sculptures and buildings. or recording a video at a concert.