The Flight Jacket Thread

still

I think the Werber's 1402-P is about as slim as you'd get in an A-2 although the cut of the Dubow 20960 and the Bronco can also look pretty trim due to the sillouhette.

thanks - i actually meant 'slender', but i guess that is what you mean with the werber cut. i will have a look into that!

I just finished reading through all 100 pages of this thread. It only took me 3 days but it was worth it. Seems like the A-2 leather heads have been dominating for waaaay too long. As a proud owner of a black BR MA-1 and a Real McCoys Pasadena Pistol Packer Type L-2 I thought it was time someone brought back the nylon love!

Unfortunately my war chariot is not a B-26 bomber, it's a very dirty mil-spec Honda Fit that my girlfriend bought. Mm-hmm. More money for jackets I think.

4064357080_81980886d2.jpg

By the way, I was on my way to Shanghai's first Japanese denim/ flight jacket event - Indigo Night. The guys from The Few, Fullcount & Lighting mag were all there. Pics of some amazing painted A-2's to come soon.

Yeah, thanks a lot for calling me 1hr before the event closed down U-RIN(E)... Btw, will have to let your SWMBO know she has been dropped down to "girlfriend" status.... HEHE:D...

Oh yeah... nice jacket Douche...

i think its from getting wet and dry

aero leather bootlegger in old horse leather

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

That leather looks so fucking supple. Post some fit pics. How long you have to wait for that thing. I like the button cuffs on that.

As requested, here are a few photos from yesterday's convention in Shanghai

Masa from "The Few" had some jackets from his personal collection on display. This size 40 "Flying Tigers" A-2 was my personal favorite, a pity it wasn't for sale!

The Flying Tigers were american volunteer pilots who fought the Japanese over China before Pearl Harbor.

Have you ever found it strange that it's the Japanese who keep the flame alive for their old enemy? I can't imagine Americans wearing Japanese ace's uniforms.

The Few supplied the uniforms for Hart's War and Band of Brothers. Apparently John Woo is planning on making a movie about the Flying Tiger's soon, here's hoping that The Few will release some special edition Flying Tigers gear to commemorate that one!

Awesome Flying Tigers painted leather patch

4066925523_349468dc60.jpg

Amazing detail in this hand-painted redering of "Kunming Joe's Battlewagon"

4067677234_35259cfb86.jpg

Interesting history... +rep

Yea it's fascinating stuff. These guys had an amazing loss to kill ratio (according to Wikipedia "destroying nearly 300 enemy aircraft while losing only 14 pilots on combat missions"). Because the United States didn't declare war on Japan until after Pearl Harbor, they were effectively adventurer mercenaries flying in support of China. They risked some pretty nasty treatment if they were shot down and captured.

Also, they didn't have radar so they relied on the local Chinese populace to call them on the telephone whenever they spotted Japanese bombers flying over head. Then they'd scramble and go shoot them down.

When I was a kid I really admired these pilots. I got Claire Chennault's book about his time leading the Flying Tigers at a $10 book sale, and I built a model P-40 warhawk with their signature sharks teeth on the airscoop.

I have a feeling a jacket similar to this will be on my back before long haha

Flying_tigers_pilot.jpg

So guys in the know (Jake, Airfrog, Demonito, etc),

Looking for an A-2. I found a slightly used BR-18775 for around $800 This one http://www.buzzricksons.jp/product/army_air_forces-0009.html. I know, not a great deal, but finding them in China ain't easy. Maybe I can still do some negotiating, not sure. Wish I would have seen that BR21996 that they were selling a few months back. Anyway, what do you guys think of this model? Nice repro or better off ordering an Aero "Real Deal" or something like that?

You Ren, The leather on that A-2 you're wearing looks amazing. Is that one of the Few's repro's? Too bad it wasn't for sale as it fits you perfect! For years the Air and Space Museum in Washington had Claire Chennault's original Aero A-2 on display. For us jacket geeks this is the holy grail of A-2's. Check out the original patch.

Chennaultjacket.jpg

Chennaultspatch.jpg

I'll bet there was a lot of other great repro A-2's and denim to check out. Maybe one of these days they'll have a show like that in the states although most Americans don't appreciate their own heritage and history.

So guys in the know (Jake, Airfrog, Demonito, etc),

Looking for an A-2. I found a slightly used BR-18775 for around $800 This one http://www.buzzricksons.jp/product/army_air_forces-0009.html. I know, not a great deal, but finding them in China ain't easy. Maybe I can still do some negotiating, not sure. Wish I would have seen that BR21996 that they were selling a few months back. Anyway, what do you guys think of this model? Nice repro or better off ordering an Aero "Real Deal" or something like that?

Just my opinion, but I only go for used jackets when the price is compelling. In this case, $100 more nabs you a Goodwear, which I think is better. Or less would get you an Aero. I might take a BR over an Aero A-2, though I have seen some EXCELLENT ones.

-Jake

Just my opinion, but I only go for used jackets when the price is compelling. In this case, $100 more nabs you a Goodwear, which I think is better. Or less would get you an Aero. I might take a BR over an Aero A-2, though I have seen some EXCELLENT ones.

-Jake

Thanks Jake. I was just thinking of getting this one because it is in Shanghai, and I can see it. I might fly to Japan this month, but I am not too excited about the recent exchange rate. Anyway, if I get a new jacket, price not being an issue. Would you still recommend the GW or go for some Jp repros that are $600-800 more?

@CrownZip

Wow I am in awe, thanks for sharing. That is a great piece of history. It's a pity they haven't been able to stop the painted leather from cracking. Do you have any photos of the back? Would love to get that beauty reproduced.

I'm not 100% sure the jacket I was wearing was by The Few. Masa held up one A-2 from his collection that he said was by Aero, so I know he doesn't just wear his own brand.

Also I heard he was a partner in Real McCoys / Toys McCoys, and he holds the international license but not the Japan domestic license, so it's possible this jacket is made under one of those brands. Only the man himself can clear it up I think. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the label and I wasn't fanboy enough to exchange contact details with Masa. Maybe next time.

Masa had one jacket that was actually signed by Bud Anderson, a P-51 ace. I'm an idiot for not photographing this too. It was all just a bit surreal for me I'm afraid, all this greatness is such a shabby little room. But according to the meet organiser, Masa is in touch with some of the AVG vets and is trying to organise a reunion of those still alive today.

You are right about one other thing, I do have more killer pics from yesterday... but I'm going to let you jacket nerds savour & discuss them one at a time haha

YouRen, The Aero that Masa was referring to may have been an original Aero A-2. It can get confusing because the company that currently makes Aero reproductions (Scotland) has nothing to do with the original Aero Leather Clothing (Beacon, New York, USA). BTW, Chennault's original jacket was an Aero.

Sorry, the jacket was in a display case that didn't allow you to see the back but I don't think Chennault's A-2 had any artwork on the back. Here's a photo of the man himself sporting his A-2.

xin_0307022510006282989917.jpg

On another AVG note, you'll see photos of pilots wearing flying jackets with fur mouton collars. Those jackets were originally issued to USN aviators in 1940 and were called the M-422. Originals are super rare to find since there weren't too many issued. For some reason the AVG guys were able get em from the Navy for their "freelance" work in China. Here's a photo of an original M-422 made by Willis & Geiger I've posted on the forum before - check out the short sleeve length. In some photos of AVG pilots you'll notice the sleeves look short on them - a sure sign they're sporting a W&G M422 which is pretty cool. Hope I'm not geeking out too much on flight jackets!

M-422frontII.jpg

Actually, thanks to my amazing 14megapixel Canon G10, I discovered I can zoom 10x into one of the photos I took, to get a decent shot of the label.

4069083524_f084d6cea3.jpg

It's a replica of Rough Wear Clothing so most likely is this jacket by The Few http://www.thefewmfg.com/details.cgi?no=AN8-006&name=THE_FEW_FLIGHT_JACKET

Here's another close up, this one shows the patches on the left breast and arm.

4068330597_2d40028cf4.jpg

Hope I'm not geeking out too much on flight jackets!

This is definitely the right place to geek out! A lovely jacket, though mouton collars do look a bit anachronistic on today's streets. Any practical reason for the short sleeves?

Sometimes I wonder what those boys from 1940 would think if they knew 70 years later we'd be obsessing over their jackets of all things, rather than their exploits.