The Flight Jacket Thread

still

Sometimes I wonder what those boys from 1940 would think if they knew 70 years later we'd be obsessing over their jackets of all things, rather than their exploits.

probably that we're a bunch of nancy boys.

Yes you're probably right, this is borderline fetish stuff, but in a weird way it honors the warriors who wore these jackets, and preserves the detailed memory of wartime events.

Those pictures of Chennault's A-2, have got me thinking a lot of people out there are sitting on a goldmine, not knowing that grandpa's old jacket up there in the attic, is a coveted piece of history. How many jacket buffs out there actually own a genuine A-2 with a wartime pedigree?

@Crownzip

I found out The Few have a replica of the AVG M-422A with mouton collar you posted. It's a limited edition of 35 and signed by living members of the AVG at their last reunion. Special stuff.

http://www.thefewmfg.com/details.cgi?no=SN8-003&name=SIGNATURE_JACKET

SN8-003_0.jpg

By the way, I'm beginning to think the A-2 I posted earlier is actually made by Eastman or Good Wear as the contract number on the label (Rough Wear 42-1401 P) does not match anything produced by The Few that I can find on Google. Although seeing as Masa has met a lot of the AVG vets in person, it is possible this is an original, or a repro by the Few that they don't sell anymore. Appreciate any light you fellas can shed on this.

Yes you're probably right, this is borderline fetish stuff, but in a weird way it honors the warriors who wore these jackets, and preserves the detailed memory of wartime events.

Does this honor our wartime heroes who dropped bombs on hiroshima and nagasaki? I wonder what types of flight jackets they were wearing. (10)

Oohh a bit off topic I guess.

No I see your point. That's what I was getting at with my earlier comment about the symbolism of Japanese jacket fans & collectors buying up the jackets of airmen who flew against Japan, and presumably killed Japanese. It's a little strange, as is the whole post-war Americana craze there. IMHO the same thing happened in Meiji era Japan, the Japanese embraced and obsessively studied western technology and culture because they perceived it to be stronger.

Apart from the fact the jackets look cool, I think we're all aware these jackets are macho because they were worn by guys who fought for their country & took the lives of others. The rightness or wrongness of what they did in the name of their country is probably best left for a different thread.

Although jacket decorations like this make it clear the bomber crews knew what they were doing

4072653634_6b841c2255.jpg

There is an interesting book by Derek Nelson called "a-2 and g-1 flight jackets hell bent for leather" which has a story on Page 150 about the sale of an A-2 jacket purportedly belonging to one of the Enola Gay crew members. Apparently it was so hot the day they flew that mission over Hiroshima, that none of the crew wore jackets. They wore "ventilated underwear." Interesting trivia that by no means undermines the fact that 140,000 people lost their lives that day

No I see your point. That's what I was getting at with my earlier comment about the symbolism of Japanese jacket fans & collectors buying up the jackets of airmen who flew against Japan, and presumably killed Japanese. It's a little strange, as is the whole post-war Americana craze there. IMHO the same thing happened in Meiji era Japan, the Japanese embraced and obsessively studied western technology and culture because they perceived it to be stronger.

Apart from the fact the jackets look cool, I think we're all aware these jackets are macho because they were worn by guys who fought for their country & took the lives of others. The rightness or wrongness of what they did in the name of their country is probably best left for a different thread.

Just thought it was ironic being that a lot of these jackets are coming from Japan, and the scenes painted by the Japanese. http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/br80187/

YouRen,

Thanks for posting the photo of The Few's M-422a.

Being the jacket geek I am I'd ask Masa why he's reproducing the M-422a for the AVG reunion since technically that jacket wasn't even issued until after the AVG was dis-banded. He should be doing the earlier version (M-422) which had very slight differences as any jacket freak will know or an early contract A-2.

My guess is Masa's A-2 was a Few or Toy's McCoy's repro as the 1401-P spec label is slightly different than what ELC or Good Wear uses. BTW, Good Wear makes thee best 1401-P repro out there.

I do own one original A-2 that has combat history I learned first hand from the original owner. He said his A-2 was his good luck charm that got him through 41 combat missions as a navigator on a B-26.

Thanks again for posting the photos!

Those pictures of Chennault's A-2, have got me thinking a lot of people out there are sitting on a goldmine, not knowing that grandpa's old jacket up there in the attic, is a coveted piece of history. How many jacket buffs out there actually own a genuine A-2 with a wartime pedigree?

@Crownzip

I found out The Few have a replica of the AVG M-422A with mouton collar you posted. It's a limited edition of 35 and signed by living members of the AVG at their last reunion. Special stuff.

http://www.thefewmfg.com/details.cgi?no=SN8-003&name=SIGNATURE_JACKET

SN8-003_0.jpg

By the way, I'm beginning to think the A-2 I posted earlier is actually made by Eastman or Good Wear as the contract number on the label (Rough Wear 42-1401 P) does not match anything produced by The Few that I can find on Google. Although seeing as Masa has met a lot of the AVG vets in person, it is possible this is an original, or a repro by the Few that they don't sell anymore. Appreciate any light you fellas can shed on this.

Here are some more stunning A-2 artwork photos from the Shanghai convention. I think these are all inspired by authentic bomber nose art, but some may be adapted slightly to fit in the vertical orientation of the jacket back. These were all hand painted, no decals or heat transfer.

4074310449_3201fa8d4a.jpg

4075067008_17cdc5dbcc.jpg

4074314225_e5d909a00c.jpg

very nice artwork. As to Marilyn Monroe that's a bit of stretch.

Could be a Korean war piece, she did a USO appearance there in 1954. And the 5th air force served in Korea.

741px-ActorsPerformForTroops1.jpg

@Dr_Heech

I didn't get any good photos of the M-422, but it appears there was one hanging on the racks. Didn't realise it was such a collector's item. Will definitely snap a photo for you next chance I get!

Toys McCoys better than Good Wear? No way companero!

More expensive, that's for sure. The contract details are all wrong and they have that dreadful laquered finish on some of them.

If you want a true repro that is made with identical materials and cut EXACTLY the same as a WW2 A-2 the only option is Good Wear.

I've tried The Few, Real McCoys, ELC and Toys McCoys(A friend has one) and nothing touches a GW!

Couldn't agree with Cobbler more. Sure, the Japanese repros are quality made jackets but really don't capture the fine details like right leather finish, thickness, correct thread color, unique fit and pattern of individual contracts like Good Wear. In general they tend to over engineer their A-2's and USN jackets with leather that's too thick and colors that are over the top (super dark seal brown colors and russets that look too red). It's my impression that's what the Japanese like in their repros but's it's not really accurate to originals.

Hi Allen, Nope, sold it a couple years ago after I bought a duo tone RMNZ Rough Wear B-3. Ended up selling that too and settled on an older ELC red skin RW I traded with a friend. I'm content with the ELC... for now. LOL

How's the GW Monarch M-422 breaking in?

It's breaking in BEAUTIFULLY. The goat on my 422 is amazing. John said he only has enough to make one more jacket with the stuff he used my 422.

ELC makes some mighty fine sheepskins.

Sold the GW Dubow and have a GW 39 Weber on order.

I always liked that RMNZ Perry B-3 you had.

How do you guys store the B3s? It's so heavy I'd think a hanger'd make it lose its shape. Do you keep it in a dedicated closet? I'd hat to think it gets squished in with other coats in a closet somewhere when the season's over.

Garment bag or a box with some cedar wood chips to prevent moths. Not on a hanger. Lay it flat.

• 2 weeks later...
does anyone own a buzz rickson x william gibson ma-1 and would be willing to post some fit pics?!

Here you go... BR MA-1 Size 38 LONG. Great jacket but too warm for any season other than winter.

4124836224_2d84413a4b.jpg

You can see here the length is clearly longer than the traditional MA-1, so you don't have to tuck your shirts in

4124805532_66ed09698a.jpg

Now that is someting I totally, TOTALLY, want. It's basically what I've always wanted. A flight jacket I didn't need to tuck my shirt in.