---- Ugly/Overrated shit that SF'ers beast over ----

englandmj7

FTB, you're an exception when it comes to being able to handle most brands that are discussed on this board. There are disagreeing opinions about every brand on this board, but in the end, our own personal style philosophy allows us to have a more personal connection with a certain label/aesthetic. I don't think djrajio is whining or having trouble getting over the fact that someone on a message board doesn't like it. If he likes it, let him explain why it isn't overrated, and let others decided based on arguments. In fact, I'd say that this makes more sense than just saying something is overrated and not explaining why (props to those who explained their lists).

Actually, the thread title is "Ugly/Overrated", as in "Ugly and/or Overrated" ;)

I think julius stuff sucks. 99% of it doesn't look good on anyone. Djrajio and Coldrice are the only ones that can pull it off.
Personally I wouldn't blame/denigrate Julius for this. Some of these labels require a real commitment and an understanding by the wearer, as well as a fairly developed sense of personal style (see Djrajio and Coldrice). In other words the onus is on the wearer to bring something to the table.

I think with mainstream labels the distinction between wearing an item vs an item wearing you is smaller and more forgiving. Not so with "fashion-forward" labels.

Overrate \O`ver*rate"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Overrated; p. pr.

& vb. n. Overrating.]

To rate or value too highly.

I think the problem is misappropriation by some; in interchangably using "overrated" for "ugly", as some things mentioned here are certainly not beasted over. Having said that, let me go back to the items I mentioned:

Visvim (shoes): Am aware they are in the business of making repros of various styles of shoes, reconstructing them and re-editing the design in some.

Are they ugly? Considering I've not seen a single pair I'd like to own, yes they are ugly IMO.

Are they overrated (in the sense that they are not worth their pricetag)? While it can be said that they are better constructed than the original shoes they mimic, I couldnt say, as I've never owned a pair. If you were paying for the aesthetic, I would say it was overrated (put a couple polka dots on some chucks and sell em for $200? no thanks).

Are they overrated (in the sense that they are beasted on) ? On these forums, YES.

Actually, the thread title is "Ugly/Overrated", as in "Ugly and/or Overrated" ;)

Point well taken. I guess with this definition then, then yes, Julius could be considered ugly. It's an acquired taste and I understand that its not everyones cup of tea.

Personally I wouldn't blame/denigrate Julius for this. Some of these labels require a real commitment and an understanding by the wearer, as well as a fairly developed sense of personal style (see Djrajio and Coldrice). In other words the onus is on the wearer to bring something to the table.

I think with mainstream labels the distinction between wearing an item vs an item wearing you is smaller and more forgiving. Not so with "fashion-forward" labels.

this is an excellent point as well.

Point well taken. I guess with this definition then, then yes, Julius could be considered ugly. It's an acquired taste and I understand that its not everyones cup of tea.

The thing is, I wouldn't even say Julius is ugly. I can understand why some like it, but for me personally it's just not in the realm of what I like to see out of high fashion. I wish i could elaborate more eloquently, but it's just i know when i like something and when i don't pretty clearly.

i didnt bother reading the whole thing.. or even the post before this

but

tucked in tongues!

i pop mine proudly (sometimes)

oh and pbj's dont belong in here

theyre hyped up, but not more than they should be

and theyre hyped for what they are: slubby and slim fit

what else is like that?

oni sure, but not slim

dior sure, but not slubby

**my pbjs come in next week, so my opinion may change**

:)

just to clarify my statement a bit more, i never stated Julius was overrated as no one really even rates it. But I do think it's ugly...which is entirely my opinion only...

b8219ff2.JPG

Yes. still hot, mostly because its still under the radar. Same league as Soe, Lad Musician, Whereabouts, Cosmic Wonder, etc. Prices are severe though. More than Number (N)ine or Undercover. Its a very like it or hate it but nothing in between label.

I completely agree with his statement here, it's so out there that you CAN ONLY love or hate it. You could view the draping as either really amazing or view it as i do as sloppy and a bit Marlyn Manson 9th grade goth....I'd rather see a thread like this where people say what they don't like about something as opposed to a circle jerk thread where someone posts lookbooks and everyone pretends to cream their shorts when in reality they don't even know what the hell their looking at.

.I'd rather see a thread like this where people say what they don't like about something as opposed to a circle jerk thread where someone posts lookbooks and everyone pretends to cream their shorts when in reality they don't even know what the hell their looking at.

i agree.

but the thing is i think the circle jerking has a lot to do with people posting only if they like it, not if they dont. Idk if this applies to everyone, but i usually dont post in a thread unless i love something and compliment it. If i dislike it, ill just click "back" and pay the thread no mind.

but the thing is i think the circle jerking has a lot to do with people posting only if they like it, not if they dont. Idk if this applies to everyone, but i usually dont post in a thread unless i love something and compliment it. If i dislike it, ill just click "back" and pay the thread no mind.
From what I gather, many of the regulars here have come to know each other fairly well - some have met in the "real world". Once you've done that it's hard to be openly critical (of friends/family/co-workers) - especially in a public manner.

And who wants to deal with the conflict/friction/drama/awkwardness that would ensue? So they say nothing, or take an apologist/conciliatory stance.

Jmatsu notwithstanding.

From what I gather, many of the regulars here have come to know each other fairly well - some have met in the "real world". Once you've done that it's hard to be openly critical (of friends/family/co-workers) - especially in a public manner.

And who wants to deal with the conflict/friction/drama/awkwardness that would ensue? So they say nothing, or take an apologist/conciliatory stance.

Jmatsu notwithstanding.

i can understand to a point if you're knocking a guys with a ridiculous fit you hang out with every once in a while, but it's another thing to criticize an online lookbook or runway pictures

I think sometimes it is just too hard to decipher tone over the internet. I think some people are joking in this thread, while others are being completely honest, and some being in between the two. Either way, everything is overrated! There's always someone rocking Bape harder, or Julius, or whatever, and then there's always going to be someone who dislikes it.

I think the thread title should be; "Things that are Steezy/not so Steezy." Buyooow

Last two pages have proven why we should have had a thread about either Overrated shit we beast over OR ugly shit/things we don't like... not both. It simply doesn't mix well...

Wasn't the thread just an excuse to rant and make a few pointless comments? I mean I even slagged brands I wear and saw some other posters who approached it in a similar manner.

Redwings

Stacking on people shorter than, say, 5'8"

how are redwings overrated? i think they kick ass. fuck i'm short.

Super skinny jeans where the jeans are so skinny they look like leggings. I hate to single anyone out, but chris is guilty of wearing jeans like that on the regular.

it looks good on chris and stack well in all the right spots mr. i like how his clothes fit more than how your clothes fit you.

45rpm are dope, anyone whose had a pair knows the construction/material/concept is the the shit. the price is high though. i thought it was overrated too untill i got a pair at a good deal.

April 77, Tsubi, Julian Red, and other lame, overly skinny denim brands - unless your a frail pussy they look like shit.

Slim skinny jeans in general - MOVE ON.

Vans - unfuckingcomfortable shoes

ouch. thats practically all i wear.

I dont like the way they look on 95% of the people on this board.

:(

im just going to assume im in the other 5%.

does anyone else laugh out loud when they see negative reps?
give me more red rep for your laughter

in all honesty, isn't everything overrated in different people's eyes?

there is trurth to the "overrated". if people didn't like whatever it was much, people would say it's underrated.

it's kind of similar to stereotypes, there's always some truth to it.

please don't say ringring is overrated.

i think people confuse appreciating denim and appreciating the so-called aesthetic that surrounds denim. pure-blue japan as a examination of the process of jeansmaking is probably a landmark, because of their focus on yarn textures. but it's been taken up by so many other people who see it as just another skinny jean that everyone's talking about, without understanding the processes that go into it.

absolutely nothing wrong with that, i mean not everyone's going to be keen on figuring out what hank-dyeing actually means, step by step, or something equally dry and mundane. but it's just a little disappointing to see how PBJ has been taken from something that's really worth a look at to just another brand.

buying too many pairs of jeans - whatever the brand - now that's overrated. how many pairs are you going to wear at once?