Belts

cecil

^ Pants Shop Avenue.

I see nothing wrong with a buckle costing $60 to $80...good metalwork is expensive, and it's something that'll outlast you and your leather.

It's a hand-made plain buckle with choice material - not cheap steel stamped out by machines.

i am looking for a belt that will work well with a dress shirt tucked in but not looking at ninja goth/high fashion brands. preferably something black with no roller buckles. any recommendations?

Get crocodille belt from Indonesia, then just add your favorite dress buckle. The belt blank will cost around 30-80usd depending on where you order it.

I got mine a while ago but still trying to find nice dress buckle, any help?

17.5oz double-horse from Unlucky, custom spade-tip, riveted:

pc060005e.jpg

pc060045.jpg

Gift from Unlucky, 16oz heavy harness, a waxy leather Scott was experimenting with. Produced by Wickett and Craig occasionally, but not advertised...

pc060021.jpg

pc0600250.jpg

The double horse is damn nice, im loving my QR buckle one!

Sure is :)

I think I've hit the roof on the weight of the leather though.

At 17.5 oz it's getting hard to buckle it up - probably need to soften the leather a bit.

Sure is :)

I think I've hit the roof on the weight of the leather though.

At 17.5 oz it's getting hard to buckle it up - probably need to soften the leather a bit.

i wouldnt want to go any further than this weight as it feels like im having to bend my waist to fit the belt, not the other way around.

^ I actually don't have a problem with thick belts - I don't find them physically restraining at all, hence all my 15oz + belts...probably because I have a thick waist, hahahahaha.

I can just tell that once this belt is broken in its going to be something else all together :D

I can just tell that once this belt is broken in its going to be something else all together :D

I've already oiled and waxed the horse-hide...it darkens up more readily in its unfinished state than cattlehide.

Hoping for epic patina after 2011 :D

The extra heavy harness leather (the black one) is very curious too...one of the heaviest single layers I've seen, has a waxy, pull-up grain...very sturdy but surprisingly flexible. Makes for a strong, comfortable belt!

First time I've worn heavily hot-stuffed leather as a belt - not too bad methinks.

Sadly, and fortunately for my wallet, yes :P

I've got all I need now, a couple of black ones for work and a few natural/brown ones for jeans.

I'm thinking of taking up simple leather crafting myself, so who knows, I might make my own belts in the very short future.

I've found a tannery near me that produced natural veg. tanned cattlehide from Wattle (Australian trees) and kangaroo skin, all the ingredients I need :)

It's a shame; your habit has supplied this thread (and your blog) with loads of great pics/descriptions. I'm sure you'll still have plenty to contribute-- just bummed that we won't be seeing anything new!

I'm thinking of taking up simple leather crafting myself, so who knows, I might make my own belts in the very short future.

I've found a tannery near me that produced natural veg. tanned cattlehide from Wattle (Australian trees) and kangaroo skin, all the ingredients I need :)

Now THAT would be cool. Especially while wearing your ROYs!

I've got all I need now, a couple of black ones for work and a few natural/brown ones for jeans.

Kangaroo hide belts would be crazy! except you might need to triple layer it to get a nice thick belt?

Don't worry, plenty of stuff to go on the blog!

Thanks for reading btw :)

Thinking I will start with kangaroo skin braiding and lacing in January, maybe work on some key chains, reins, maybe even a braided belt...all while wearing my Roy's =)

Kangaroo hide belts would be crazy! except you might need to triple layer it to get a nice thick belt?

Braided belts are quite popular here in Australia, but usually done with cattlehide I believe.

You're quite right, a single layer kangaroo would be far to thin - have to weave in 2 to 3 layers to get a good thickness...sounds hard, I think I might just start with key chains and wallet reins :P

^ Thanks b_F...just bought some leather braiding books, will probably get some kangaroo lace after Xmas and start braiding.

I've always wanted to do a proper wallet rein (think a whip braid, not the lightweight 2 to 6 braids that commonly available), and it seems nobody is making them Americana style at the moment.

Back on topic though...anybody got contact info. on Matsu?

Would love to have something made from him in the future.

NaturalCustomBelt_L1.jpg

matsu2.jpg

Sun tanning for me.

Different oils affect the colour differently, very hard to predict.

Wouldn't oiling also serve the purpose of protecting the leather?

I was thinking about getting some Obenauf's oil.

Hollowsleather (had it made by him) put Obenauf's LP on it he said, but I don't know if oiling is also necessary.

Hi, yes, I always oil and wax my leathers before use, unless it has been heavily curried or hot-stuffed in the tannery...but even then, a thin layer of oil will help bring out the grain.

I like to use horse-oil for that purpose, since it does not darken most leathers.

Obenauf's is a compound I believe, containing oils/wax/propolis/etc, so a thin layer will do just fine :)