Belts

cecil

^ Exciting!

I'm wearing one of my Quercus belts at the moment... no other cattlehide I've seen even comes close to this oak bark tanned hide - it is pure awesomeness, pure love.

The way the leather is extremely thick & dense but also very flexible, the amazing growth and texture of the grain (especially after a little bit of animal oil), the subtle pigmentation left behind by the year long tanning process, the sharp creasing when the leather is bent...I could go on, but really handling is believing!

^ Looks very western :)

Oh hi Internet friends, I was just playing around with some experimental belting that Scott (Unlucky) was kind enough to send me, and I must share some pictures (no, you have no choice, here come the pics =P):

pc130004.jpg

I attempted to accelerate the ageing of the leather a little (I know it's black, so no colour evo, but there is grain evo)...

and the result was magnificent =)

The leather was originally very shiny. smooth and waxy - and after some wear, it could achieve an excellent grain development whilst still retaining the smoothness.

pc130009a.jpg

The hide is also very strong (heavily stuffed and curried) and quite thick at 16 oz.

The side it came from was around 30 square feet according to Scott (and there are two sides to each animal) - the steer that this belt came from was one HUGE beast.

pc130007.jpg

Anyway, our little group order for Terry Dear's Quercus (oak-bark) belt was quite successful, with around 40 or more people having purchased a belt or two (or four).

I was thinking later next year (2011) I might organise another group order if there is enough interest (looking for at least 10 people)?

But this time with an American leather.

I was thinking a black coloured belt using a leather similar to this one?

Still thinking about it all, and would appreciate any input as to what you would like in a belt and what characteristics you want in your leather =)

Also, if you're interested in putting your name down for the expression of interest list, please do PM also!!!

Good evening SuFu!

Scott (unlucky) has given the group order project the go ahead =)

I know most of us will be fairly broke from Christmas shopping, so the group buy will likely happen around Feb next year.

Scott will be getting us some custom-made leather from Wickett and Craig...with the colour/weight/grade, etc made to specifications.

I'm hoping for at least 10 people on the expression of interest list before I start discussing the details with Scott...be quick though, as each hide will likely cut only up to 14-16 belts.

Here is a chance to get yourself a top quality, completely custom-hand-made belt (which would likely retail >$200 if sold by a Japanese brand) for a very reasonable price!

Please do PM me here (with your e-mail address) if you are potentially interested, I will then add you to the list, provide updates as they come, and potentially we can have a discussion on the details of the leather and belt.

^ And we have 36 people!!!

Please do PM me soon - I'm looking to finalise the list come January (or earlier if we have too many people.)

First update has already been sent, and that's just say this morning the details of the leather and hardware has taken on an exciting turn...as Scott says:

"some very unique leather with a distinct North American, handmade characteristic".

Just to stay on topic, here's my sword-tip belt at around 4 months now?

Was white/pink in colour when new:

pc160017.jpg

Someone asked for pictures of the oak-bark tanned belt that Joe McCoy used to make a few years ago before the line was temporarily discontinued (well, a workshop in England made it for them...), but I couldn't get pics...here are some vintage ones I found on the internet:

joemccoyoak.jpg

fdgfdggfd.jpg

joemccoyoak2.jpg

Terry's Quercus belt is much better IMO... the leather is thicker and the tannage much longer, Joe's McCoy stuff was just briefly oak-tanned bridle.

^ I always found it funny how Samurai quote their belts to be in the range of 15 to 20 oz...it's like each one is a surprise :P

Let us know how you like the oak-bark leather - it'll be interesting to compare it to the bridle-style leather on the Samurai and SDA belts!

^ Obbi, you reckon you could do something in that thickness?

Group order 2012?

P.S. Update on group order with Scott: we now have 46 people (there were only 20 official participants in the last group order.)

Some really amazing details are being worked out at the moment - including substantial upgrades in the leather, buckle and stitch material...in each aspect of the belt there is something very unique!

^Wah! Good job, guys. That's quite a number of ppl!

Yeah, we have leathers in 15oz, but it is limited atm. We definitely can consider a group order in the near future when we fixed on some constant supply :)

Lipsu,

you have to keep talk like this away from Mikecch. Im pretty sure he has a very serious problem with buying belts and I feel it is our duty to do everything we can as a community to help him. The last time I seen people act the way Mike does towards belts was last week when I was down on 51st st in Chicago and saw all the little crack heads stealing purses for dope...

Lipsu,

you have to keep talk like this away from Mikecch. Im pretty sure he has a very serious problem with buying belts and I feel it is our duty to do everything we can as a community to help him. The last time I seen people act the way Mike does towards belts was last week when I was down on 51st st in Chicago and saw all the little crack heads stealing purses for dope...

But SuFu tells me I must consume.

Here is one I've been spying on recently, but I must resist.

Made with a heavily oiled cattlehide from Horween - don't think it's pure veg. tan, but looks nice:

OHB-02_04.jpg

^haha, from his posts here or mynudies, i know mikecch is knowledgeble about leathers. His taste for different leather types almost always intrigue me.

Why should I stop him when he has got the same obsession as me....? :)

Thanks man...

I like our obsession, it is a good one to have :)

Forgot about the Belt thread. Crossposted from Show Us Your Leather thread.

Picked up a new belt at Hinoya while I was in Tokyo last week. They were out of my size in the Sugar Cane Garrison Belt, so I got the in-house brand Burgus Plus Garrison Belt. Almost the same specs as the SC belt. It is also .5cm thick, but 4cm vs 4.2cm wide. Hardware looks the same to me.

As my skin tone is about the same shade of pink as the original Natural color, I decided to put a little Neatsfoot Oil on it to get some contrast.:)

DSC_2061.jpg

Next to my 10years old Levi's Belt

DSC_2063.jpg

Quite a big difference in the thickness.

DSC_2067.jpg

Quite impressed with the quality so far.

^ Nice belt, looks well made - I reckon easily as good as Sugar Cane's offering.

Here's a funny pic from tonight's waxing session (inspired by b_F) - notice the little 13oz boy on far right (it's the only belt under 15 oz I kept when I did my give-away earlier this year):

PC210002.jpg

i own a Samurai curved belt, got it from BIG almost 5 months on it now, i love it..and wear it pretty much everyday.

I want to ask about that spot you mention above

"the bending portion" where there buckle metal wraps around and meets,

being that leather is soooooo much thinner compared to the rest of the beast of the belt,

my question:

would that bend not be the weakest link and eventually break down first with years of wear???

i own a Samurai curved belt, got it from BIG almost 5 months on it now, i love it..and wear it pretty much everyday.

I want to ask about that spot you mention above

"the bending portion" where there buckle metal wraps around and meets,

being that leather is soooooo much thinner compared to the rest of the beast of the belt,

my question:

would that bend not be the weakest link and eventually break down first with years of wear???

I think it will be OK, it hasn't been split that thin.

Although I do personally prefer full grain all the way.