Belts

cecil

Guest SisterRay
Haha, cheers SLAB!

I'm running on blank for the next project though...I've been browsing and reading, but I haven't been able to find any new 'types' of leather suitable for belting that would be of interest (barring exotics of course, which I assume not many here would be interested...)

As in, something a little different (a little more special perhaps) from the standard veg. tanned saddle leather.

Also, I'm thinking, instead of having a belt project, why not a different leather accessory?

Not a wallet, because that'll be too expensive, and wallets are too personal to have dozens of other people on the forums owning the same thing (IMO).

Maybe a coin-pouch?

Looking forward to it :)

Not the best news I've read recently, I was really looking forward to your next belt project. I would not be keen on a coin pouch, but perhaps I may be interested in a wallet though. A short wallet would be my preference something similar but different to a Redmoon one.

^ I guess not everyone uses a coin-pouch :P

Will read-up more re: belts and makers.

Preferably I would like to find a guy who can work closely with his local tannery to get a special hide or two for us.

If not, it's back to either Terry or Scott, since they are open to the idea of a belt project and are very easy to work with (and make lovely belts, of course).

Guest SisterRay

I like the look of the damascus buckle. What about a belt which enables buckle to be replaced? I've always loved the hammered pewter buckles seen on the samura and sda belts. I also prefer wider belt like the ald. Of course I coveted the thickness of the Joe Hill.

Mike--Count me among those who are interested in another belt project. I was also among those scared off by the Damascus buckle. It looked interesting but I had to realistically admit to myself that I would probably never wear it.
I like the look of the damascus buckle. What about a belt which enables buckle to be replaced? I've always loved the hammered pewter buckles seen on the samura and sda belts. I also prefer wider belt like the ald. Of course I coveted the thickness of the Joe Hill.

Right now I'm thinking a 1.5" belt, around 15oz, with a double-prong buckle for the next one?

Also, for the next project, I reckon it would be a good idea to have natural/unfinished leather as default, and then offer the option of having them hand-dyed to brown, black, etc.

Some people have requested this (and had it done successfully) on the Quercus and Joe Hill projects.

Initially, for the Quercus project, I asked Terry if screws or rivets could be used - but he didn't like the idea, as a horizontally-stitched buckle fold is by far the strongest method (he's a traditionalist when it comes to these things), unless of course you hammer five copper burr rivets in it :P

The possibility of being able to interchange buckles (i.e. using Chicago screws or snaps for the fold) will depend on the craftsman who is actually making the belts.

I'm not fond of snaps though~

Although for the sake of the project, other than the colour variations, everybody's belt needs to have the same details (except for maybe a different number stamp or something.)

BTW, Terry is now offering the Quercus in three different finishes as standard products (they sold very well to say the least).

Quercus.jpg

You raise a good point there SisterRay.

The usual double prong belt I've seen are between 1.5 to 1.75" wide.

My worries with a 1.75" belt would be that, because of the thick leather used, it may not fit everybody's belt loop.

Will have to ask the craftsman though, and perhaps do a couple of prototypes to look at the proportions.

But a lot will depend on the hardware; if we could find some really nice, hand-forged double prong buckles that are too good to pass up, the belt width will than be determined by the buckle.

Much to think about...

But please don't hesitate to sign up when the expression of interest list opens - there's no obligation to buy, you only have to read a few of my e-mails :P

One thing to consider with a double prong buckle and chicago screws is that the belt will be double-slotted and double-punched, so you'll only be able to swap out other double-prong buckles.

Typically I just stitch them in since there isn't a lot of variety of among double-prongs.

very beautiful indeed..the tanning is even.. how did you normally treat it , i assume they started off raw ya?

it's been suntanned (in Belgium that ain't easy) and then oiled once with WESCO bee oil when it was new...

since then I have oiled it only once more, so I haven't really done much to it.

it did indeed start out 'raw'

btw mike, I would be interested in a coin pouch project, have u considered obbi or kamida? (just an idea)

^ Hey Tiro, I have considered them and read up on each company.

I haven't contacted Kamida Leathers yet, he makes some great looking stuff but IIRC he doesn't communicate in English, and this will be a huge problem.

Also, I don't know if he's open to this custom-group-project type thingy at all, or if he is willing to call up Tochigi Leathers to get some custom or special hide.

OGL are great guys to deal with, but the only item I've bought from them is the myNudies belt, so I'm not really sure what kind of leathers they use on pouches and wallets, etc.

Also, Singapore doesn't have it's own tannery (or at least, is not known for leathers; somebody correct me if I'm wrong here!!!), so it would be more difficult to get a customised leather like we did with the previous projects.

Unless James can track down that French cordovan :P

But if customised leather isn't a must, I think OGL would be quite good to work with :)

Actually, for a coin pouch, I've recently seen a prototype product made from a hard-rolled horsebutt (designed for high-end western holsters) which would be perfect - more on that in the leather thread next month.

^ Yeah, that could work!

But Chris is a bit iffy about doing custom pieces, especially en-mass - which I completely understand, as he tends to plan all the details to perfection.

Taiwan also doesn't have a tannery of renown :P

I will talk to him about it though.

Would be even better if I can visit him in person the next time I return to TW!

Since the belting project won't be until later this year or early next year, we might as well have a coin-pouch project in the mean time.

Well, if anybody is interested, please PM me (or e-mail me if you have my e-mail already.)

I'll try and find a craftsman who is willing to do this project for us (once we have over 20 forum members on the list).

And think of a theme, of course.

The region this time would be Asia (as in the coin pouch will be made there.)

Expression of interest list is officially open :D !!!

(Sorry for side-tracking this thread)

@ SisterRay: your inbox is full!

hey mike, I guess communication could be a problem with Kamida-san and I don't know if he would be up for it either, I just made the suggestion because I own a few pieces made by him and they are really nice...

I was actually in the process of getting him to make me a cordovan wallet, but I completely understand that given the situation, miz has other stuff to deal with besides being my communications officer for a wallet...

as for James, I'm sure he could manage to get us something special as far as leather goes, he made me a black cobra iphone case recently and I'm very pleased with it.

securedownload-7.jpg

Liking the beehive logo!

Which number are you?

@ TheNorthern:

Looking good mate!

I'm trying to create a conditioner with a similar concentration to Skidmore's cream - looks like some kind of sandwich paste :D

Quick update on the Quercus, almost 1 month effective use:

p3270015.jpg

p3270017.jpg

p3270023s.jpg

Compared with a new one:

p3270029.jpg

p3270033.jpg

some pics from my now retired belt:

Made in Italy, worn continuously from 1993 to 2010, has been exposed to pretty much everything, including good amounts of sweat. Broke in 2009 exactly where the most used hole is, but service life was prolonged by a year using two pseudo-chicago screws.

Stretched like mad, NEVER used any leathercare product on it

DSC03298.jpg

DSC03301.jpg

DSC03302.jpg

DSC03306.jpg

DSC03300.jpg

DSC03307.jpg