Levi's takes on Japanese Denim Resellers and Manufacturers

kiya

sorry if these are really dumb questions, but..

if transporting the now-illegal denim with you, can't you just walk through 'nothing to declare'?

and, what if, say, i travel to japan in the near future, am I not allowed to bring within my luggage any of the illegal denim for myself to wear, in the chance that i have to declare something else through customs?

or does all of this stuff only apply to shipments and such?

I don't know if this will affect my service in the future, but as of now, everything is fine (except that I'm sick dammit!). I've shipped jeans, bought jeans, ordered jeans today. No problems so far.

For everyone that has inquired, I'm still taking orders, but I cannot assume any responsibility what happens when the jeans have left Japan...

also ordered some SD-103's from 2000dB....

by damn it would suck if customs would destroy them, allthough danish customs are fucking numbskulls....

sorry if these are really dumb questions, but..

if transporting the now-illegal denim with you, can't you just walk through 'nothing to declare'?

Last time I traveleld was to Amsterdam, and in both airports in both directions, taking the EU citizen's route led to a choice of 'nothing to declare' or a customs room with no staff.

I'm quite sure there is no danger involved, at least for people outside of the US.

I think the Japanese versions will not change either.

I'm afraid you're very wrong with that statement. The violations i've outlined on the front page will be affecting these manufacturers through and through. Read my first post on the previous page, the companies are changing their designs for the entire world.

we could wait and see what they will come up with... and support them by buying the new designs...

we could as well help with buying the illegal pairs so that they don't lose as much money.

kiya, do you know if the Japanese customs are stopping the jeans from leaving the country?

we could wait and see what they will come up with... and support them by buying the new designs...

we could as well help with buying the illegal pairs so that they don't lose as much money.

I've done my share with BIG on the soon to be illegal pairs. I'm stocked for the next 10 years I'd say. Full count 1108 and Samurai s5000 on the way plus a couple pairs of SDA's from "our man in Amsterdam" should ship today hopefully. I can't eat for a few weeks but I can stare at a shitload of tasty denim.

I think people are looking at this too much as troops are mobilizing on the borders to stop the outflow of denim. I can assure you, it is not like this and most officials would not take exception to the goods on a private person.

Further, if the jeans are being changed throughout the world, including Japan, then why now? I mean Japan is a big enough market to catch Levis' attention. I thought there was an intricacy with the law there?

Kiya,

can you give me an idea of the timescale on the case? or even a picture of the legal papers just to see what part/parts of trademark law there using

blank out the names and case number, just to be safe

Neil

I think there is gonna be somewhat of a glut of the illegal denim in the reseller marketplace for the next 6 months or so, due to people realizing they can't tie up $1kplus in jeans. Then after that, rarity.

Further, if the jeans are being changed throughout the world, including Japan, then why now?

Retailing of the offending brands within the States. If they don't stop it now, these brands would reach more retailers and expand their reach into the U.S. market.

how safe is it to buy from Japan now?

i got some jeans that left Japan on 1/15, reached US docking on 1/16, and arrived at my office the following day with no problems at all. it was mailed by a private sender and she didn't write "jeans" on the declaration form. i cant imagine customs/security would bother stopping a package like this.

I'm afraid you're very wrong with that statement. The violations i've outlined on the front page will be affecting these manufacturers through and through. Read my first post on the previous page, the companies are changing their designs for the entire world.

I have actually been told otherwise by someone.. but I can't say more right now.

I have actually been told otherwise by someone.. but I can't say more right now.

Not meaning to pick a fight here, but i spent a total of ten hours on the phone yesterday deep into the night with the President of Flat Head (masao kobayashi), the owner of Iron Heart (name withheld), a representative from Toyo/Sugarcane, and the co-owner of Imperial (cameron).

if those four sources aren't as close to the truth of what's really going on, i don't know who is.

trust me when i say, things are about to change starting right now.

Not meaning to pick a fight here, but i spent a total of ten hours on the phone yesterday deep into the night with the President of Flat Head (masao kobayashi), the owner of Iron Heart (name withheld), a representative from Toyo/Sugarcane, and the co-owner of Imperial (cameron).

if those four sources aren't as close to the truth of what's really going on, i don't know who is.

trust me when i say, things are about to change starting right now.

yeah, I believe you, I didn't talk to those brands at all. I guess my reply was a bit unspecific, but from what I hear some brands might not change their japanese models, but I don't have a lot of information either so I could definitely be wrong about this too.

Guest jeffvyain

soooooo i still want some sammy 710s. but you can't buy them on the samurai site and i haven't found them anywhere in rakuten YET. they were supposed to be out mid-january. does anyone know if they made it out anywhere?

ps i highly doubt any company with only a red tab will get in any trouble (ie skull jeans). there's too many out there and i doubt levi's would follow through with actually doing anything about it.

just an opinion.

wish i had money. i'd have some oni blues coming my way and if i could get my fingers on some 710s i'd be a happy man.

yeah, I believe you, I didn't talk to those brands at all. I guess my reply was a bit unspecific, but from what I hear some brands might not change their japanese models, but I don't have a lot of information either so I could definitely be wrong about this too.

Well if some smaller Japanese companies aren't on the laundry list of people getting sued, why stop? I can't tell me who told me that, but someone did. A source.

Well if some smaller Japanese companies aren't on the laundry list of people getting sued, why stop? I can't tell me who told me that, but someone did. A source.

I didn't mean it in that way.. I wasn't talking about some really small, unknown brands either, would have been pointless to say it if I did.. but at least you got an excuse to rag on me. I guess I shouldn't add more to this now.

I will not allow this thread to degenerate into a "i know something you don't" fight between members.

there are seven entities being sued, if you're not one of them, you probably don't have "sources" to brag about.

In terms of companies not named in the lawsuit, it's a moot point, why even bring it up?

In terms of "smaller companies" not caring about this lawsuit.. It doesn't get any smaller than Iron Heart, they produce less jeans than ANY Japanese denim manufacturer that is talked about on Superfuture. And yes, they have already given confirmation that they are complying with Levi's wishes.

This thread is so that we can bring you up to date information about the case, and the upcoming cases being brought upon companies next week. It is not so that members can say "i've got information, but can't share it"