Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

Picked these up from Jay at BlueOwl Workshop. I've lost a ton of weight recently changing my diet and workout routine. So I needed some denim that actually fit me. The fit is perfect! I never thought I'd be wearing a size 30W! Also this is my first pair of denim I've had hemmed. Per their recommendations I took off 6" and they look great! Japan Blue Skinny JB0206. Can't wait to break these in!

1003539_10200377110461821_1526981217_n.j

Picked these up from Jay at BlueOwl Workshop. I've lost a ton of weight recently changing my diet and workout routine. So I needed some denim that actually fit me. The fit is perfect! I never thought I'd be wearing a size 30W! Also this is my first pair of denim I've had hemmed. Per their recommendations I took off 6" and they look great! Japan Blue Skinny JB0206. Can't wait to break these in!

Wearing the same pair, at about 4 months of every day wear, loving them.

Is there any other reason that the SP series is referred to (here) as Going to Battle than the back pocket 'battle' stripes? The Momotaro site makes no mention of this term, where they are officially referred to as the Taking the Field label. Wondering where the Going to Battle term came from considering that's pretty much how they are known here.

The term GTB or Going To Battle, sometimes mentioned as GTW/Going To War refers to the backpocket stripes because they mimic/replicate the stripes on the flag Momotaro (Peach Boy) carries when he battles the Oni/ogres.

That said, I believe the SP indicates that the jeans are One Wash. While the SP line models all are, I don't have facts to state it, it is just a gut feeling. Copper Labels for instance, also are One Wash but don't feature the SP notation.

Yes, I think it's probably a translation thing though. GTB is the commonly known name.

By the way, the second two numbers in the modelnumber indicate colour. XX05 is Vintage Label Color, XX03 is so called Old Blue. Never seen this in person though, but I guess they are somewhat reminiscent of the color the first Copper Labels have, the G-00X series.

Edit: Seems I was off regarding the color. Old Blue description found by Google.

Old Blue color is the reproduction of color of denim when Japanese manufacturers have begun to produce denim. Old Blue color is stronger blue color than normal Momotaro jeans.

Edited by M1stral

I didn't know that Momotaro seems to avoid the GTB / GTW term now. But when I explored the brand back then, they did use the term and did have four labels / styles:

-vintage (0201, 0901, 0701, raw versions, no pocket paintings unless on special request, 15,7 oz),

-GTB ( SP models with Samurai battle stripes, probably linked to the Momotaro tale. Same cut and denim as the Vintage Label, but one wash),

-Copper Label (with a patch that wasn't sewn but riveted on, lighter and royal blue denim, around 14 oz) and

-Gold label (Natural Indigo, incredibly expensive, gold buttons).

The Vintage label had blue or green flashers, the GTB had red. I still have them, can take a picture if somebody offers a reasonable bribe.

I am not on par with what they do now, as all those Japan Blue Models got me extremely confused and also in my opinion, weren't well divided from the more expensive Momotaro Jeans. I read that JB will carry blue inseam threads from now on and not get the battle stripes, so they should think alike.

(But I'm not as an expert of that brand as M1stral.)

Edited by Max Power

I didn't know that Momotaro seems to avoid the GTB / GTW term now. But when I explored the brand back then, they did use the term and did have four labels / styles:

-vintage (0201, 0901, 0701, raw versions, no pocket paintings unless on special request, 15,7 oz),

-GTB ( SP models with Samurai battle stripes, probably linked to the Momotaro tale. Same cut and denim as the Vintage Label, but one wash),

-Copper Label (with a patch that wasn't sewn but riveted on, lighter and royal blue denim, around 14 oz) and

-Gold label (Natural Indigo, incredibly expensive, gold buttons).

The Vintage label had blue or green flashers, the GTB had red. I still have them, can take a picture if somebody offers a reasonable bribe.

I am not on par with what they do now, as all those Japan Blue Models got me extremely confused and also in my opinion, weren't well divided from the more expensive Momotaro Jeans. I read that JB will carry blue inseam threads from now on and not get the battle stripes, so they should think alike.

(But I'm not as an expert of that brand as M1stral.)

The Japan Blue Models carried the battle stripes only to give the brand recognition. Now that they have developed their identity they have discontinued all battle stripes on JB. 

Is there any other reason that the SP series is referred to (here) as Going to Battle than the back pocket 'battle' stripes? The Momotaro site makes no mention of this term, where they are officially referred to as the Taking the Field label. Wondering where the Going to Battle term came from considering that's pretty much how they are known here.

SP stands for Special. SP models signifies the battle stripes. Nothing more, nothing less :)

The BOM006 looks gorgeous!  I wish I had the time and money for them.  the Grand Indigo is such a nice fabric.

http://blueowlworkshop.blogspot.nl/2013/04/denim-fades-momotaro-x-blue-owl.html?m=1

Anybody have the BOM005? Was wondering what people thought about that pair

The link posted above should mention a lot, if not all you need on this pair.

Anyway. Tapered fit is new to Momotaro and for the moment only available at the BO collabs. Silhouette is the same of the Japan Blue tapered fit.

Fabric is exactly the same as Vintage Label, so is the hardware etc. apart from the leather patch.

15.7 oz of Rampuya goodness. Raw, dark threads to make the pair appear black, while in fact they are blue. Includes battle stripes, the only feature that is normally not on Vintage Labels, but on the one wash GTB's, custom painted jeans or the 0705BiG (which, as far as I know, is the onlyGTB that is offered raw).

Went into BlueOwl yesterday and got my pair of BOM006. They sold out of size 29 in about 30 minutes so i had to size down to 28. Amazing jean and well worth it. I wore my pair out the store yesterday and wore them today too. Already the lines begin to show of the hidden kangaroo leather battle stripes. The chambray lined pockets with the yellow stitching is also a cool touch.  

P1000203.jpgP1000205.jpgP1000206.jpg

d89278e5-ccd7-4b8c-aa0b-0ccf768005bf.jpg

I sized up and the thighs are still preeeetttyyyy tight. However, I feel if I can get a little stretch they'll be extremely comfortable, second skin, type of denim. Really loving the color

I went TTS and they are pretty damn slim.

The taper is a pretty aggressive one, and if I get a little stretch they will fit quite nicely.

Don't worry the grand indigo fabric has some give. It is a looser weave than the vintage fabric and will stretch slightly more with some wear. I went skin tight and after a week of wearing they have stretched almost .5" in the waist and .25 at least in the thigh. They are fantastic jeans

Don't worry the grand indigo fabric has some give. It is a looser weave than the vintage fabric and will stretch slightly more with some wear. I went skin tight and after a week of wearing they have stretched almost .5" in the waist and .25 at least in the thigh. They are fantastic jeans

That's good to hear.

I've already noticed that they've loosened up a little after just wearing them around my apartment.

That is like... Almost no stretch, just like Vintage Label. FYI, I've got about the same numbers on a pair of 0701's.

Doesn't matter though...

That is like... Almost no stretch, just like Vintage Label. FYI, I've got about the same numbers on a pair of 0701's.

Doesn't matter though...

Looser weave + lighter weight = greater stretch. The grand indigo has more give than vintage labels, fact. They are still momotaros so the stretch will be minimum, just slightly more than vintage labels

Your source on the Grand Indigo fabric being a looser weave?

My source is the creators of momotaro, and since I helped develop the BOM006 I talk with them direct. Additionally, just compare the two fabrics side by side, it's quite easy to tell the difference especially if you have worn both fabrics.