Vintage Sweatshirts

jubei

Hi guys

I am looking for some help identifying this sweatshirt, I can see it is an Adidas sweatshirt but there it ends really I would like to know around what year it was made and if the design means anything and maybe if it is rare.

The sweatshirt is not printed in a traditional sense the colours sits in the fabric but many of the details are actually sewn on like one palm tree the aeroplane at the back and the badges on the arms. The chest/back is made in one fabric and has a white inside and the arms in another and has a blue inside.

If you guys do not know maybe you know where I could ask

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help me or point me in the right direction

Hi guys

I am looking for some help identifying this sweatshirt, I can see it is an Adidas sweatshirt but there it ends really I would like to know around what year it was made and if the design means anything and maybe if it is rare.

The sweatshirt is not printed in a traditional sense the colours sits in the fabric but many of the details are actually sewn on like one palm tree the aeroplane at the back and the badges on the arms. The chest/back is made in one fabric and has a white inside and the arms in another and has a blue inside.

If you guys do not know maybe you know where I could ask

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help me or point me in the right direction

Please post a picture of the back neck label and the inside side seam label.

adidas has done a lot of weird stuff in the 80's and 90's, especially outside of Germany/Europe - where did this sweatshirt come from?

This looks more like a piece from their Heritage/Originals line, but what makes me wonder is the fact that it appears to have no visible branding on the front. This alone would make me doubt the authenticity...but having seen the weirdest samples very little would surprise me with adidas Heritage/Originals

Edited by Foxy2

real mccoys look substantially heavier; how do they compare?

Hi Slab,

National - Buzz Rickson (new fit) - Real McCoy/Ball Park

Lighter weighted to heavier weighted - Iron Heart seems to be very close to Buzz Rickson in weight.

Softer hand feel to harder/stiffer hand feel.

Please post a picture of the back neck label and the inside side seam label.

adidas has done a lot of weird stuff in the 80's and 90's, especially outside of Germany/Europe - where did this sweatshirt come from?

This looks more like a piece from their Heritage/Originals line, but what makes me wonder is the fact that it appears to have no visible branding on the front. This alone would make me doubt the authenticity...but having seen the weirdest samples very little would surprise me with adidas Heritage/Originals

The sweatshirt came in to my belongings about 3 years ago I got it in a 80/90s themed nightclub where you got to take second hand clothing and dress up with during the night and then you could keep the stuff (the club was "Klubb Skoldisco"). The sweatshirt is now in Sweden and must have got donated to a Swedish second hand store called Emmaus but there is where my clues end.

Here is some more pictures actually the Adidas branding is seen on the front as you can see here

l.jpg

And here is the patch

l.jpg

Unfortunately my batteries in my camera died here so I tried to take a picture with my computer cam but it is very bad

l.jpg

the inside patch says

Made in France

Adidas

la marque aux 3 banderos

production

VENTEX (which I just googled and they seem to have a connection to Adidas in France)

the rest is just washing instructions on the front and the back of the tab

I wonder why this shirt was made for me it seems like something you would make to some sort of anniversary and the fact Paris and Santiago is mentioned they should have some connection to why it was made as well

The regional marketing subsidiaries of adidas where out of control in the 80's and 90's...

Should be legit - rare, ugly and cool at the same time.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder ehh ;)

I actually really like the sweatshirt and even though it is small to me (says medium but is more like a small S) I think I will keep it because it just look so special and I have never seen anything like it and maybe one day it might get some value just for being so odd.

What's your opinion on Pike Brothers sweats. Picked one up the other day and while they're not loopwheeled, compared to the Buzz sweats that the shop also carried, I thought the fit and weight of the Pike bros sweat won hands down- plus over 1/3rd cheaper :)

• 2 weeks later...

What's your opinion on Pike Brothers sweats. Picked one up the other day and while they're not loopwheeled, compared to the Buzz sweats that the shop also carried, I thought the fit and weight of the Pike bros sweat won hands down- plus over 1/3rd cheaper :)

Where was that from please?

http://www.pikebrothers.com/2009/02dealers.php

Says they're made from 490g jersey fabric, which is nice and dense. I've got the Han Kjobenhavn sweats made from 480g material and love it, especially in these colder months. There are plenty of good options for cut and weight-- Reigning Champ is about as good as anyone-- it just comes down to preference. I'd have picked up the BR sweatshirt if I had the money.

FS: Joe McCoy 12oz Navy Loopwheel Sweat Shirt Size Large NWT New with Tags

Joe McCoy sweats are as good as it gets. Made in Japan, the 12 oz cloth is spun on a vintage loopwheel machine producing the softest yet strong, beautiful slightly slubby cloth. Designed to age with the wearer, they look great now and even better in 5 years.

SIZE: LARGE

Chest (armpit to armpit) 23"

Sleeve (shoulder to cuff): 25.5"

Depth: 27"

Shoulders: 19 3/4"

£150

Shipping: UK: Collect Plus+ Courier £6, Special delivery: £9

Europe: £15

USA/Rest of the world: £20

th_1924.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

^ Whitesville are sooo close to nailing the perfect Sweatshirt. The loopwheeled cotton is something else, its so dam heavy. Cuffs and Hem are substantial.

Sadly for me it all comes down to fit. I always feel its wearing me and not the other way around, constantly pulling it one way or another to keep it in place. The McCoys sweats i chuck on and never give them a second thought. Wash when they become a loose fit or dirty whichever comes first.

The bigger neck hole is the real vintage way to wear them though! Any idea where to pick up Whitesville sweats these days? Struggling to find a true vintage fit since BR did away with the old version of their sweats. Other brands seem to do modern-ish fits now, even the jp ones. And too long in the body for me.

The bigger neck hole is the real vintage way to wear them though! Any idea where to pick up Whitesville sweats these days? Struggling to find a true vintage fit since BR did away with the old version of their sweats. Other brands seem to do modern-ish fits now, even the jp ones. And too long in the body for me.

I have amassed quite a few sweats over the years inc Barns, Two Moon, Cushman, Old cut BR, McCoys, Whitesville, LVC, ect

The neck hole on the Whites is just too dam big "vintage way" or not. If the neck stayed in one place i would not have issue with it, But one side of the neck hole can be way up your neck the other side over your collar bone.

With a jacket on top the neck hole pulls to the back. Im not such a slave to vintage repro that im prepared to put up with this level of discomfort when there are better fitting sweats in my wardrobe.

If you wear a Med in the Old BR you might like the Cushman in Lg it will be very fitted though. Think i got mine from John Lofgren.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

People talk of a true vintage sweatshirt fit/cut.

I have had a quick scoot through here and not seen many early period photo,s.

Im going to slap this down as a Benchmark.

Pulled from the McCoys 2013 Yearbook (apologies for poor image quality)

It shows the US Navy Rowing Team/Oarsmen. Sweatshirts issued as part of US Army/Navy uniform.

I would date this at around mid to late 40,s but i am happy to be corrected.

8332231359_16c1d3f6f2_b.jpg

Extremely short body, boxy fit. Very loose in the chest and these guys are built! Short sleeves (if not short enough they have cut the cuffs off) Very large neck hole.

I personally dont aim to entirely replicate this look in my choice of sweat. Different strokes for different folks i suppose.

Most modern manufactures of sweatshirts that claim to be vintage repro dont actually look anything like this this cut.

My barns sweatshirt has a pretty similar fit to the ones in that pic. Could do with being a heavier weight, but the fit is great.