Vintage Sweatshirts

jubei

I generally go for a med as i did with my Barns. Comparing it with the above picture i would say it is slightly more fitted in the body, longer in length, longer sleeves and the neck hole is smaller. But granted the Barns is closer than most.

I am 5'11" 72kg with a 38" chest.

I would assume that due to the sweatshirts being Navy issue the servicemen would be issued the same size as there uniform so i would say that would be the considered size/fit to wear in that era. I buy what is considered my size today and it is much more fitted.

I actually like my sweats more fitted than the above, Just saying.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Barns did a rework as well. Some of the Rakuten shops at the time had them listed or "Black Old" and "Black New", with pictures and diagrams showing the changes. It was right when they released the Sage and Wine seasonal colors.

I do not feel that quality changed though; as is the case with BR.

This McCoys sweat briefly passed through my hands today,

EMS packaged arrived and i thought there was something amiss, It just felt way too heavy to be a sweat, more like hooded weight.

Understandably i was as giddy as a kipper.

8333158900_0f030fbd21_c.jpg

8333158372_ccede4e3a5_c.jpg

8333158554_14525b6b21_c.jpg

This is the heaviest sweat i have seen, it almost feels like two sweats in weight.

It does have its drawbacks, Its as though they could not loop wheel a cloth this thick so they went with using rib as side pannels, No neck V.

It was "not for me" im afrid. I returned it from whence it came. Shame really. If you want what is possibly the heaviest sweat on the market and dont care for tubular construction this could be for you.

Double O: that side gusset is a style of sweat that used to be made, it's the way it's meant to be. I used to have a Champion sweat with the same design and no V neck.

I think that one is one of the best that McCoy's have made, I tried one on a few weeks back and thought it was great, I plan to buy one sometime.

I didn't think the weight was as heavy as you describe - it felt similar to the standard Joe McCoy Loop Wheel sweats IMO.

yes agreed on the side gusset thing,im not saying "it is not meant to be that way"

i have a friend working in Japan, asked him to send me over a McCoys sweat in neutral, To add to the McCoys collection posted earlier. I really wanted neutral loopwheeled, I got Oatmeal with side gusset, should have been more specific.

I agree it is a great sweat. Just not what i was wanting.

There is a re-stocking charge on return. could be as high as 20%

I like Oatmeal if it's done right. I would of taken that one off you Double O if it was my size (Large).

I find the McCoy's sweats a bit tight around the forearm - do they give with wear?

The one with the gusset didn't seem to have that so much!

I'm not sure there is a lot of difference between them to be honest - certainly not as much as comparing the joe mcloop (nice) to the buzz's, old or new... That said if i had to choose which was the heaviest it would be the ribbed one, but not my much.

I find they all give with wear, i take the large too as the med was just to short/tight. I tighten em up in the wash every now and again as i prefer the fit like that.

love this thread

I only own two sweats; a Barns and a Buzz (old fit), but plan to pick up another one soon; ive been looking at the Two Moon and Freewheelers sweats; does anyone own or handled one of these?

Given the discussion about McCoy sweats, this is probably relevant. Saw it on the Speedway Facebook page this morning. Toys McCoy have released a couple of sweatshirts inspired by Steve McQueen in The Great Escape. They look pretty cool.

http://item.rakuten....y-shop/tmc1237/

tmc1237-a.jpg?_ex=300x300&s=2&r=1

tmc1237-c.jpg?_ex=300x300&s=2&r=1

I've also seen these before, was awhile back, good to hear they're available again. They look very cool – now do I really need one?

I have a Two Moon, twotone gray, dark body lighter rib, double V though that i am not too crazy about.

what seems to bother you with the Two moon sweaters? fit, quality?

Quality is good, on a par with old br. Fit is also good. Without being your personal tailor i would say you need a 40/42. The only very small issue that bothers me is the double neck V. If you see yourself from behind it looks like you have put your sweat on back to front. I am too picky for my own good sometimes.

That Steve McQueen sweatshirt has been in production for many a year, first released by McCoys in the early 90,s if i am not mistaken, There is also the same sweat with cropped/frayed sleaves from The Great Escape and the earlier edition has Capt. V.Hilts stencilled on the reverse in white.

I guess that got lost in translation. Being able to read Japanese would make browsing Rakuten a whole lot easier.

The only very small issue that bothers me is the double neck V. If you see yourself from behind it looks like you have put your sweat on back to front. I am too picky for my own good sometimes.

Very popular in the owl community though...