Denime

• 2 weeks later...

looking good there! Good to see you wear them constantly.

I was already thinking about washing my Denime 66XX at the start of the new year. After driving through whole Germany (near Bremen-Freiburg and back = roughly 1400 km), partying 3 days in a row with my best friends, one time passing out in them and spilling cranberry sauce on them (thank you McD) on our way back from Freiburg, the decision was made. The first hand wash with detergent!

Before the wash pics

P1040406.jpg

P1040409.jpg

The stains

P1040408.jpg

P1040407.jpg

P1040410.jpg

P1040411.jpg

The detergent

P1040412.jpg

And in the wash

P1040413.jpg

They lost more indigo through the wash then I thought they would. So I'm curious how they are turining out...hanging to dry now.

This might have been mentioned on this thread already, I'm not sure.

But on my recent trip to Nihon Menpu I found that they were the mill made the early Denime, late 60s-style fabric. I don't know who makes it for Denime now?

Here's the boss of NM, Shinji Kawai, with his own pair of Denime. Nihon Menpu's output is very impressive; as well as all that beautiful, very slubby Sugar Cane fabric, they also make some of my favourite - and very subtle - Denime and natural indigo SDA.

MRKawaiwithDenime.jpg

I have a feeling Denim use NM for at least some of their production even now - altho that might be Resolute. They are the smallest well-known mill. Any idea who McCoys use? (APart from Nihon Menpu)

I don't know if NM produced the bulk of Denime's classic fabrics, but I guess that they produced the 66-style one at least, it's one they seem (justifiably) proud of.

Edited by Paul T

Sorry, I don't have those inside information.

Here is what Hitoshi Tsujimoto said about the change

Tsujimoto has cut out companies like Kurabo and Kaihara and contracts directly with dozens of small factories. This has allowed him to change the production process. “We make so much denim at one time that we can control the quality better while reducing the cost. Before I bought Denime, the company’s jeans sold for 35,000 yen (351 euro), now they’re 25,000 yen (250 euro). But it takes a lot of money.†With 16 companies in his portfolio, money however seems hardly a problem for this astute businessman.

Not sure if all is true..especially as the XX-line costs exactly the same like before. Well...I think you have a lot more personal experiene and have looked behind the curtains so you know better how these brands work.

The weather is shit so I won't take any after wash pictures. It didn't really change much. The combs aligned again, some places are a bit lighter than before but I doubt my cam could capture that.

The most important thing: not a single broken thread! And for everyone who owned a pair of old Denime, that is good news ;)