DenimProject - The Deviants 2013 Contest

drapygo

another 46 pair on marvins....check out the shape of the legs...

http://www.marvins-j...721/dp-721.html

dp7212.jpg

Not to be smartass, is there something about the leg shape I'm missing? Looks like an average pair of post WWII to early 50s 501s. I know they're calling the jean in this contest a '46, but is it really all that different from than anyone else '47? (other than the green numbers, which someone has already stated started out black on vintage jeans and faded to that green color)

^my bad on focusing too much on the leg shape...a part of it might be me looking too hard but initially i noticed the wider/roundish seat and almost bowleggedness...this might be accented by the way the jeans are hanging and would vary of course by sizing etc. but i guess the main point is leg shape isnt the most characteristic part to look out for. As we all know, details and changes from factory to factory varied throughout the years despite "stadardization"...a 1946 might not be obvious but our pair will feature post wwii remnants (rivets, etc) that were in a sense leftover from the war before the 47 details we all know came to fruition

alright, not at work on my iphone now so here are more details for a '46 that differentiate (as posted on page 2):

(the following are courtesy of Marvin's)

WWII style hidden rivets:

dp3235.jpg

single sided tab:

dp3233.jpg

v-stich at sharper angle: doesn't "loop" through top button

dp7213.jpg

and here too:

dp11733.jpg

All of these details seem standard throughout the 1946 pairs I've seen:

http://www.marvins-j...323/dp-323.html

http://www.marvins-j...18)/dp-1173.htm

of course, this isn't everything, and only Taichi knows what else might be featured. The "green stamp", the possibility of a "dual red tab error", the untreated buttons (as posted a page back), a wider fit closer to WWIIs than the slimmer '47, etc. etc. all differentiate the contest jeans from the norm. small details in a way, but isn't that what makes them so interesting?

Hi Taichi,

some questions. Will threads with different colors be used on the final jeans? Right now all threads look the same.

What is with the horizontal stitching across the arcuates?

And will there be also 2 red tabs on the final jeans?

the denim looks nice on the second picture :)

Hi Taichi,

some questions. Will threads with different colors be used on the final jeans? Right now all threads look the same.

What is with the horizontal stitching across the arcuates?

And will there be also 2 red tabs on the final jeans?

the denim looks nice on the second picture :)

Hi. Thanks for your some inquiry. OK plz check as bottom my comments.

Yes I just using the fabric of different color with final version.

'cause I preparing new fabric detail with fabric vendor now. :mellow:

horizontal stitching -> for avoid patent issue with L company. :rolleyes:

and include a bit JOKE from Japan.

2 red tabs -> Of course!! :)

2 red tabs is not really what I was hoping for, though. Just my honest opinion :)

Well when you're using that seamripper anyway, just go ahead ;-))

I think it's a cool detail tbh, and with wear it'll be less noticeable anyway, details do tend to blend in.

Very nice update Taichi!

So if i understand correctly the denim on the final version will be different from this, and also there will be threads in different colors?

yeah but I hate ripping seams of a new pair :P

Removing the horizontal thread is no problem but using the seam ripper to cut the threads at the back pockets for removing the second red tab is against the constructional integrity of the jeans.

tbh, I thought we wanted to get a nearly 100% repro of a Levi's '46 and that's why I don't see why the 2nd red tab was added in the first place

tbh, I thought we wanted to get a nearly 100% repro of a Levi's '46 and that's why I don't see why the 2nd red tab was added in the first place

Do see where you're coming from, i also don't like added frills just for the sake of it.

But because a vintage pair has this detail i think it's not that bad of a 'tweak', sort of a break from the norm.

The horizontal stitch on the backpockets doesn't mean they are half lined i presume?

^outstanding, DP.

with regards to the double red tab, [iMO] it's a freakishly UNIQUE feature, but not an abomination.

if, indeed, accurately based on historic fact, then ALL is good.

i'd wear 'em proudly.

besides, every1's got their option to keep or rip.

ditto on the strikethrough arc stitch ... w/c symbolically meant, "not Levi's" ... so, to rip or not to rip becomes a choice between Levi's or NOT :) ... if you're following my drift ;)

edit: sorry about the self-rep :ph34r:

Edited by BrownMetallic

The horizontal stitch on the backpockets doesn't mean they are half lined i presume?

i was going to think that they were half lined too but judging from the original 46' they weren't half lined, so i dont think thats what its gonna be...

extra tab or no tab, no difference to me. looking forward to this for a pair with a wider leg than what i have now.

I doubt it Mich, my Studio D'artisans (SD 101s) have a similar stitched horizontal line on the back pockets but no lining.

A couple of observations about the trial pair, with regard to detailing on the pairs posted by aho:

http://www.marvins-jp.com/denimpants/dp-323/dp-323.html

http://www.marvins-jp.com/denimpants/dp-1173-%28418%29/dp-1173.htm

http://www.marvins-jp.com/denimpants/dp-721/dp-721.html

The v-stitch at the top button on the trial pair comes below the button, as opposed to above the button.

The coin pocket looks to be placed a little low; look how close it is to the waistband on some of the example pairs. Also, none of the examples feature peekaboo selvage on the coin pocket; why does the trial pair have this feature?

The thread colour looks a very yellow compared to the raw pair, which shows much more orange thread. Even on one of the washed pairs the stitching looks darker than that of the trial pair.

The denim colour looks darker and greyer compared to the raw pair (perhaps difference in white balance of the photos?). The vintage denim looks remarkably lighter and bluer, which is quite evident in the worn pairs as well.

The leg shape appears to have a fairly steady taper to below the knee, whereas the example pairs appear to be straight from the knee down.

To be honest, I'm not too fussed about these details on most pairs of jeans. I am also not an expert in Levi's repro details. However, if we are going to label these as a reproduction of 1946 pair of 501, then based on the provided examples I think some of these details are lacking. Sorry to be so critical, Taichi.

Edited by PeterParker

A couple of observations about the trial pair, with regard to detailing on the pairs posted by aho:

http://www.marvins-j...323/dp-323.html

http://www.marvins-j...18)/dp-1173.htm

The v-stitch at the top button on the trial pair comes below the button, as opposed to above the button.

The coin pocket looks to be placed a little low; look how close it is to the waistband on some of the example pairs. Also, none of the examples feature peekaboo selvage on the coin pocket; why does the trial pair have this feature?

The thread colour looks a very yellow compared to the raw pair, which shows much more orange thread. Even on one of the washed pairs the stitching looks darker than that of the trial pair.

The denim colour looks darker and greyer compared to the raw pair (perhaps difference in white balance of the photos?). The vintage denim looks remarkably lighter and bluer, which is quite evident in the worn pairs as well.

The leg shape appears to have a fairly steady taper to below the knee, whereas the example pairs appear to be straight from the knee down.

To be honest, I'm not too fussed about these details on most pairs of jeans. I am also not an expert in Levi's repro details. However, if we are going to label these as a reproduction of 1946 pair of 501, then based on the provided examples I think some of these details are lacking. Sorry to be so critical, Taichi.

Peter. Nice question.

OK let's imagine.

An America when after WWII (just 1946) , today the great power got serious damage.

Namely very confused for produce anything.

some Skill-full employee might leave the factory, Of course, shorted any material too.

Who can make correct one such as current product under the bad situation.

So any funny detail remain till now. ( like a green stamp)

Our this concept model (say '46 model) is re-pro this confusion too.

Any details gathered from any '46 product.

You're mention is one of correct but not perfect.

Don't miss understand, I wanna say that nobody answer what's the correct for '46 model of denim.

Finally, our some '46 model had purchased from Marvins :)

How much pay for them?? Who cares haha.

Thanks!! Taichi.