Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

oil and conditioner are pretty much the same thing, in that they both prevent the leather from dehydrating. I swear by obenaufs heavy duty LP, as it's got wax in it and a mix of oils that really protect well (esp. belts!)

and if you don't tan your piece, it wont darken it too much if that's your thing.

New belt from the previous page, after 2 days of tanning and an application of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP:

IMG_0074.JPG

I only punched one hole -- I think it sort of looks interesting/unusual that way. My other belt has a long tail, so I'm trying a short one on this belt, especially since it has the center bar buckle. I like how the leather's looking and was planning to just let nature take its course now.

But I was curious: should I tan and oil the back of the belt? I wondered whether oil would come off on my pants if I did. I tried searching the thread, but wasn't too successful. Any advice would be appreciated!

New belt from the previous page, after 2 days of tanning and an application of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP:

IMG_0074.JPG

I only punched one hole -- I think it sort of looks interesting/unusual that way. My other belt has a long tail, so I'm trying a short one on this belt, especially since it has the center bar buckle. I like how the leather's looking and was planning to just let nature take its course now.

But I was curious: should I tan and oil the back of the belt? I wondered whether oil would come off on my pants if I did. I tried searching the thread, but wasn't too successful. Any advice would be appreciated!

the one hole is fantastic and very unique. but be honest with you, i think it would look better if the tail wouldnt be cutoff like that vertically. But that is just the way you prefer it. I think tannig the belt would be nice but oiling the back seems unnecessary. Is your belt's back rough or is it smooth? even if you oiled its back, it will absorb it and it wont come off to the jeans.

^Thanks, man. The back is rough, so I'll probably follow your advice. I may round off the corners on the tip, because the square end is actually tricky to get through the belt loops (probably why not as many belts have a square end, duh) -- but I need to see if I can do the job neatly first!

How's that Muji coin holder working out?

my muji, pretty good, not really use it that much, just leave it in my car everyday, only use it when i use the tollway or go to walmart...

but when u round the corner...wouldnt it make it even shorter???

how many oz is the leather stripe u used?

i done my belt 3 years back, still using it..my leather stripe is 8-9 oz..so which is pretty thick..i edge the edges with beeswax as well. And i cut my tail triangular. It i redo it over, i would applied some coating on it. Forget the name of the coating tho...and wouldnt punch that many hole, should get the idea from you..

2jytl4.jpg

14v03kl.jpg

but when u round the corner...wouldnt it make it even shorter???

how many oz is the leather stripe u used?

I think the triangle end on your belt looks good -- probably wouldn't look as good with a round buckle. The leather I used was also 8-9 oz. Hopefully I won't lose much length; I was just thinking of rounding it a little, similar to the opposite end of the belt (found this photo on the web):

4512-00-L.jpg

Remember these new belts might stretch to conform to your body more. I did the one hole thing on a belt I made, then after a while that hole was too big and I had to add another hole to make the belt snug.

Maybe you lost some weight also? Thanks for the advice, I'll give that some thought.

Definitely Tandy.

I like the way that buckle looks a lot, but the leather is so thick it got kinda annoying everytime I went to the bathroom, so I changed to a simple roller buckle.

there we go...Tandy

the leather is so thick but i love it. Used mine for 3 years now and still awesome, i get used to fasten it quickly in the bathroom after few days. Maybe you have the leather ring on it which makes it more difficult

Did a search that didn't turn much up...so I was hoping if people here have some experience with Billy Kirk leather. With Blackbird's 20% sale going on this weekend, I was thinking about picking up a triple wrap bracelet. Pricing will come out to about the same as the double wrap Flat Head bracelet (with shipping) from Self Edge....Soooo yea. Anyone able to comment, perhaps?