Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

I was using Obenauf's LP on these and the original color held, but I used the Obenauf's Oil the other day and it turned them dark brown. I wanted to condition/darken, just maybe not this much. Maybe tough to tell from the pics, but they don't even look like 877's/875's any more.

DSCN2611.jpg

DSCN2612.jpg

Feel you. I used mink oil on mine and it got dark as well. I hear it'll lighten up again eventually, with exposure to the sun, but it hasn't on mine. So you're saying Obenauf's LP kept the color orange-y? Changed the laces, as well, I see.

Oh, and this should probably be more at home in the shoes that look better with age thread.

Yea they're pretty brand new, just figured I'd go with a preemptive strike on the conditioning before winter hits. I've also heard they'll lighten a bit while the oil gets absorbed, but I may as well accept that I now own dark brown Red Wings.

My own experience with 875s and LP suggests that they will lighten up a lot with time.

unlucky belt - about 3 months

vspcb5.jpg

flat head bracelet - about 10 months

i don't think it can get any darker, it's practically black

rwtmwo.jpg

corter dog collar - about 5 months

2rgygxe.jpg

corter custom bilfold - about 5 months

5ckiad.jpg

and i've never seen anyone post a glove on here before

and i apologive this one doesn't have much "evolution" yet

but i'm just a pitcher so it barely gets used

anyways, thought someone would appreciate it

ostp2c.jpg

lastly i found this leather butter that is made specifically for the glove

it's just a mixture of shea butter and bees wax and i've used it on all my leather products

i like it better than any oils i've previously used

it goes on like a lotion and doesn't leave the leather super oily or anything

it's very nice

if anyone is interested here's a picture of the container

2a5m00m.jpg

i'm so addicted to this thread! i think i'm about a third of the way through. anyway, thanks to fattybfat and mich for replying to my pm's. after seeing how some of your guys wallets have turned out i'm planning to buy an untanned wallet to see if i can achieve the same results. i haven't found a place in LA yet that sells either lexol or obenauf products so it looks like i might have to buy online but i was wondering if this would work:

redwing.jpg

i bought it for a pair of redwing 875's i have. would it work in place of an obenauf oil/lexol conditioner?

p.s. i'll probably buy a corter wallet since it's more in my price range. but i was also looking at the redmoon kids wallet. i know it's pretty small but i don't carry much in my wallet anyway. the inside pocket with the square/circle/triangle - is it possible to cut them out and just make 1 big window to display a photo? what would you use to cut it out?

this area?

rmkids.jpg

^ it is possible to cut it out, just buy a sharp leather cutting knife, is like around 8 or 9 dollars. You can get it at Michael's or tandy leather

and for the Lexol, i know that if you try redwing shoes, some car dealer, or any cobbler should carry em.

regarding the leather dressing, i never use it before, but i heard from the guy that work in the tandy leather shop said mink oil is not good for leather, it can dehydrate and result cracking. Since the purpose for mink oil or beeswax is mostly for waterproofing.

^ it is possible to cut it out, just buy a sharp leather cutting knife, is like around 8 or 9 dollars. You can get it at Michael's or tandy leather

and for the Lexol, i know that if you try redwing shoes, some car dealer, or any cobbler should carry em.

regarding the leather dressing, i never use it before, but i heard from the guy that work in the tandy leather shop said mink oil is not good for leather, it can dehydrate and result cracking. Since the purpose for mink oil or beeswax is mostly for waterproofing.

ah, i'm glad i asked. luckily, i found a local shoe repair shop that carries the lexol leather conditioner.

as far as cutting the leather, would an exacto with a fresh blade suffice?

Tips:

Do a few test-cuts in the middle before you start making the modifications you want so that you get a feel for the knife.

Use a ruler or some other kind of straight edge, cut to the inside of it so that if you slip, you cut into the waste portion, not the good portion.

Thanks hollows. I didn't even think about that. I guess my goal is to make more of a traditional picture window. And from the pics of new rm kids wallets I've seen online it looks like it comes with some sort of plastic sheet to protect a photograph that you'd put in there. Thing is, I don't want to do more harm than good so if anyone that has the kids wallet wouldn't mind chiming in on the idea I'd love to hear from you.

i'd also say if you can, slip a small cutting mat inside the pocket so you don't slip through and cut deeper than you want to. i think redmoon uses a thinner leather for their interiors, something like a 3 oz will cut right through on the first pass with an exacto. it shouldn't be too hard