Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

fattybfat: I got a Muji wallet a few months back, but a different model (a billfold); not sure if that was before or after you got your coin case. So far, I haven't oiled or tanned, so it's only darkened very slightly just from the natural oil from my hands. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow and post them. The quality is good -- the natural leather seems a bit thicker/tougher than the other colored leathers Muji offers (brown & black), however.

indesertum: If you're in Europe/Asia, you should be able to get them at most Muji stores. I was in the NYC store recently (midtown), and they'd just restocked on several models in all colors -- emmitbrown, if you're reading, they've got my model back in stock, too!

Ichiran:

that gotta be after i got my coincase, otherwise i would know it was you that got the muji wallet, someone else also has a muji wallet too. Anyway, when i first saw the muji wallet in the store. I like it so much that i almost bought it. But too bad that i really want a mid length so i go with the coin case. Would love to see some pics from you when you have a chance. I would go to hk next week and might get me a muji belt. It is so nice too.

I really like muji things alot. Just plain simple

I really like muji things alot. Just plain simple

I totally agree -- here are some pics of my Muji wallet:

DSC_0002_3.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG>

I only got it in June, so there's not much evo yet. I didn't tan or oil it, just natural wear. I'm thinking about trying Lexol to clean and condition when the time comes... maybe?

I totally agree -- here are some pics of my Muji wallet:

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG>

I only got it in June, so there's not much evo yet. I didn't tan or oil it, just natural wear. I'm thinking about trying Lexol to clean and condition when the time comes... maybe?

Ichiran

you didnt put it in your jeans pocket like that right? there is no indigo stain at. Thanks for the pics, it is really nice. i cna tell that it does get just abit darker. Congrats on the 100 posts, cannot rep you again tho.:)

fattybfat: I got a Muji wallet a few months back, but a different model (a billfold); not sure if that was before or after you got your coin case. So far, I haven't oiled or tanned, so it's only darkened very slightly just from the natural oil from my hands. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow and post them. The quality is good -- the natural leather seems a bit thicker/tougher than the other colored leathers Muji offers (brown & black), however.

indesertum: If you're in Europe/Asia, you should be able to get them at most Muji stores. I was in the NYC store recently (midtown), and they'd just restocked on several models in all colors -- emmitbrown, if you're reading, they've got my model back in stock, too!

hey, have you ever been to the soho store? wondering if they possibly carry the wallets. they look great.

I was wondering if you could give some more info about this belt. Is the leather the same as the Iron Rangers? Is the buckle removable? How wide is it, and how much did it cost? Thanks.

Color is pretty much the same as the IRs

Yes, buckle is removable.

It's 1 1/2 inches exactly.

I got it for $30 at a red wings store.

Don't know where to post this but…

Combination coin / cigarette ash case.

flat_head.jpg

I picked this up from 2nd when I visited the store in Mie. They helped me pick out the beads which they also sell at the store. Ise-san is a really cool guy as well as the staff there.

BTW, regarding putting jeans in the freezer. If they smell that bad, its time to wash them.

recently purchased some fresh leather goods...un tanned, eu natural.

being that its dark when its 4 in the afternoon, and there is little to no sun whatsoever, should I just oil my goods and wear them as is for now? tan when I'm able? or wait and not use them until I can tan?

help...

horsehide belt from unlucky on styleforum. 8 months of off and on wear. no tanning. first application of lexol conditioner last week:

IMG_0156.JPG

just got my rm kids wallet. did one light application of lexol conditioner then put it on the dashboard of my car (outside part only) to tan for the last 2.5 days. the color change has been subtle as you can see when you compare the inside and out pics. my question is should i tan more? will i see any significant change in color with another day or 2 of tanning?

IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

this is the result i hope to achieve:

rmkids.jpg

hope to hear from you leather experts with more advice. thanks in advance for any replies.

why is there a hole on your rmk ? as for tanning theres no limit, just depends on how dark you want it. if you want a darker look, then tan it a bit more. otherwise it is enough.

the hole is where the chain attachment thing was connected. i don't plan to use a chain so i took it off. so will the darkening only be achieved by more tanning or will it darken with use as well?

the hole is where the chain attachment thing was connected. i don't plan to use a chain so i took it off. so will the darkening only be achieved by more tanning or will it darken with use as well?

It will darken with use. I put barely any treatment on my belts (never any oil only leather conditioner) and they age well. You need to give it some time.

^I agree, you did a nice job with tanning and oiling and it will darken up nicely with use.

I understand why you want to cut the wallet, but if I were you, I'd leave it as-is. I'd be worried that the thin strip of leather that would be left after your cut (to the right of your rectangle) would feel really flimsy. It's a great wallet, and the funny holes are just part of the charm, in my opinion.

thanks for the replies guys. so emmit- in your experience, i'll be able to achieve that honey color just from use?

In my experience I just wear a belt everyday and that's it. It all takes care of itself. Below is my new belt next to my old belt (worn for 6 months). I put one coat of leather conditioner on it when I made it, but that was it for the whole 6 months. It started out the same color as the new one in the picture. Your wallet will turn out the same way.

IMGP0686-1.jpg