Very nice fit, LeftOfRitual! Since we have the same height and weight (though I imagine quite different body shape since I'm a girl), would you mind measuring the upper thigh for me?

Upper thigh a hair under 10 3/4 inches for me. About 3/8 - 1/2 inch of shrinkage there compared to my raw measurements.

@LeftOfRitual Crazy that you got so much shrinkage out in one hour. Did you lose all the shrinkage on the inseam aswell? Fit looks absolutely great by the way!

Just took my own pre soak pics today, gonna soak 'em sometime next week. Gonna be snug as hell.

Hello, and happy Monday!

Here's the next sequence of the making of Steel Feather jeans process:

7484700210_796845c164_z.jpg

(Above: Yoshinori proceeds with cutting out the front piece of the left leg.)

7484699884_de5d503770_z.jpg

(Above: Here it is, cut out and ready for later use.)

7484699388_043b1f8f90_z.jpg

(Above: These strips are cut out for belt loops. It's important they are alligned according to the grain, and is cut straight.)

Hope everyone's enjoying my photography so far!

Kind Regards

Anders Helseth

@Bobbo I did not measure the inseam pre soak but it is currently at 34 inches so approx 2 inches of shrinkage there. I am going to get 2 inches off the hem to calm the stacking down a little.

Cool. I'll probably go with a single cuff and massive stacking for the change.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the next insert in the making of Steel Feather:

7484699074_5043b992bf_z.jpg

(Above: Now Yoshinori's working on the pieces that will become the pocket bags of this particular jeans.)

7484698698_abf9565635_z.jpg

(Above: Many steps of the process involve ironing pieces to stay in shape for the sewing.)

7484698366_0af363432b_z.jpg

(Above: Yoshinori now seems satisfied with the result.)

Kind Regards

Anders Helseth

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Danny - service from R&H has been exemplary!

The denim shrunk a lot but stretched back out quickly post soak. I had issues getting back in after the 1hr hot soak but now they are comfortable and slim. I am very happy I toughed it out.

Thanks for posting pics. Seems like they fit you very well, indeed.

Kind Regards

Anders Helseth

Got my Self a pair of SF for the HWDC. this is my first pair of unsanforized denim and just want to know how people wear them in. Do you soak first or put a bit of time in or a lot of time before a soak.

cheers

Got my Self a pair of SF for the HWDC. this is my first pair of unsanforized denim and just want to know how people wear them in. Do you soak first or put a bit of time in or a lot of time before a soak.

cheers

I soaked mine straight off the bat. Just checked the measurements first so I could make sure I've gotten rid off most of the shrinkage before wearing them in.

cheers

Hello ToddjColey. I always recommend to soak or wash first. Cold wash in machine, jeans turned inside-out is a good start. If you can adjust spin cycle, please set it to low to cause less abrasion on the jeans. Do not forget to leave the zipper closed when soaking or washing, and also when hanging them to dry. This is very important because of the nature of the cotton tape of the zipper.

Kind Regards

Anders Helseth

Hello Superfuturians!

Both my fiancé and me have been down fever the last week. Sorry for making you guys wait on the next part of the Making of Steel Feather progress:

7484698064_1d6323df8f_z.jpg

(Above: A little retouch with the iron.)

7484697636_4b343294a8_z.jpg

(Above: Here Yoshinori begins closing the open-ended part of the pattern piece. This is to keep it from unravelling.)

7484697234_b0fd08aa73_z.jpg

(Above: Yoshinori goes straight into the next piece of the pattern.)

By the way, if you want easy access to view all the pictures so far, please visit the Steel Feather jeans facebook page. If you like what you see you're welcome to leave a comment or hit the "like" button ;)

Kind Regards

Anders Helseth

Hi everyone,

thought i should get my first post up on here & what better way than the six month mark of my cherished steel feathers

really happy with these jeans, i do tend to be pretty brutal with my denim & these are holding up great.

gave them a cold soak when i first got them (cheers for the fitting & sale Danny!) they've been worn every day for six months & no washes as yet.

..... ahh i seem to be having problems getting photos to show up on here. any clues?

the photos aren't hosted anywhere & i can't get them to upload to a gallery in my profile....

:(

Edited by wook

Thanks for the help everyone :)

<a href=

Right, this had better work ;)

First pair of shots are pre-soak,

next pair are at around one week in

then two months wear

five months in

and the last pair are six months in :)

Steel01.jpg

Steel02.jpg

Steel03.jpg

Steel04.jpg

Steel05.jpg

Steel06.jpg

Steel07.jpg

Steel08.jpg

Steel09.jpg

Steel10.jpg

^Great shots JL! Can't wait to see what they'll look like in 1 year, and more. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Anders Helseth

So, length-wise, these would shrink to around 34?

Yes, around 34" on the inseam after wash. May take 1-3 soaks/washes to get full shrinkage, depending on your method of choice.

Kind Regards

Anders Helseth

god I love these jeans...just wish they were button fly

Thanks for the praise. However, I'd like to take the opportunity to say it's not just any zipper: this is a replica 1940s conmar style zipper with heather grey cotton tape. Real "connoisseur" grade stuff right there :)

Kind Regards

Anders Helseth

Edited by Anders Helseth

Thanks for the praise. However, I'd like to take the opportunity to say it's not just any zipper: this is a replica 1940s conmar style zipper with heather grey cotton tape. Real "connoisseur" grade stuff right there :)

Kind Regards

Anders Helseth

I have to say, i was initially a tiny bit wary of a zipper fly also. usually tend to favour a button fly. However the zipper on the Steel Feather is solid as. i am a convert now :)

I'm not sure if this post falls within any particular theme that works well on Sufu but i thought it might amuse &/or demonstrate the inherent toughness that i admire when looking for a pair of jeans (or body armour) as i might now call them.in the course of my work i do take the odd knock & scrape (some due to tough work conditions some just because i'm clumsy at times)suffice to say i took a tumble while shooting at the weekend, while i didn't fair too well my Steel Feather's held up very well. not a tear in sight (also zero soak through of the red body juice).apologies if you're squeamish :)

CF039065.jpg

Edited by wook