Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I'm shameless, and I cheat! But, damn!, those shell cordos are SO fine!

Love seeing the progress on 'em.

Is that spot of blond down below a critter or kin?

One, three & five! Sunny & 75. Life IS fine with a nice combo like that.

Cheers!

(& g'nite, given our time zone differences)

Kin. It's my one year old wondering what in the hell Daddy is doing. The 3 and 5 year olds are just out of frame climbing a tree. It's sunny and 75, outside is good.

familyman, you have a beautiful life, man. i'm always happy to see pictures with you, your shoes and your kids.

Dave - the Conistons fit great, just like the black pair I have. When I find a good fit, I appreciate it.

Familyman - Those Aldens look like they're carved in oak! Solid!

Leica - Funny you mention the Alden 306's insole. I hear Alden is well known for crappy or totally missing insoles. For my Indies I've tried about 12 different insoles, since heel-only inserts make my foot feel the gap where it stops. So I want a bit of heel cushioning but a full leather insole - no divide between the heel and the rest of the foot.

What works the best is this: I rip out the Alden heel insert and carefully remove the foam cushion from that. Then I put the cushion on the footbed, and a smooth C & J premium leather insole on top of that. Those insoles are made for their 337 last. A bit narrower than the Indy boot, but it does the job in a way that no other combo worked for me. I'm gonna use some cobbler's glue this evening and glue it in place. Yeah these Indies do alternate between comfortable and irritating! But they look good and get lots of compliments!

those are nice. af72s right?in #8

No, the af72 is on the barrie last and has a commando sole. I'm not sure of the model designation of these but they're on the plaza last, have a double oak sole and are cigar shell. They're from http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/ and are a special makeup for them. The af72 is a very nice boot as well, just a little different.

Guys,

Dejan has a new red wing boot on stock, european collection!

redwing1908yp7.jpg

Just got my 1911 so, I'm out for a while...

Those are beautiful.

Do they come in black with that sole? I hate the normal thick rubber ones on that model. Or are these not the same shape as the 875?

leica lad, i really like those boots. i have a special place in my heart for plain toed boots and shoes. you have both spectrums covered now, the pure utilitarian, no-frills appeal of a plain toe and the sexy, decorative embellishments of country brogues.

hey Miz, quick note: read a bit of your blog, some interesting stuff there (especially the whole wabi sabi thing). I think I understand the concept somewhat in my limited mediterrannean-foreign-devil way :D

Maybe we need a thread on old articles that may exhibit such traits - could be interesting...

P.s.

Maybe it is just because I was up until late working last night and am tired, but I am getting a weird sense of deja vu... have I posted that before?

the reddish hue + brown might come off as maroon I guess, or even purple :) Im really a fan of that leather color, and i know there are a bunch of additional RWs in this leather, such as 2902 and some variation of the 875. Only "problem" is that wear show really fast.

hey Miz, quick note: read a bit of your blog, some interesting stuff there (especially the whole wabi sabi thing). I think I understand the concept somewhat in my limited mediterrannean-foreign-devil way :D

Maybe we need a thread on old articles that may exhibit such traits - could be interesting...

P.s.

Maybe it is just because I was up until late working last night and am tired, but I am getting a weird sense of deja vu... have I posted that before?

thanks for reading my blog, ska. i think this thread has a lot of stuff that are examples of western wabi sabi. i think that's what attracted me to the shoes my british friend had which evoked such incredible feelings of nostalgia and longing.

thanks for reading my blog, ska. i think this thread has a lot of stuff that are examples of western wabi sabi. i think that's what attracted me to the shoes my british friend had which evoked such incredible feelings of nostalgia and longing.

Ah yes, those shoes! I am thinking that it may sort of be what attracts at least some antiques collectors, the whole notion of things having been passed down with in a way the past owner(s) use of the articles documented...

Those cordovan wingtip Aldens are smashing, btw.

I must be really tired, my sentences hardly make sense...

On the Stockmans

Correct, kangaroo. These have the softest and most pliable uppers of any shoes I have ever worn, it feels almost like thick cloth.

I remember some Adidas volleyball shoes I had in the early 70s. Blue kangaroo suede. They were light and springy, the leather feeling almost alive. Some of the best sports shoes I ever had. Then Adidas discontinued that particular hide.

Your shoes convinced me - the next RMs I get will definitely be the Stockman!

I remember some Adidas volleyball shoes I had in the early 70s. Blue kangaroo suede. They were light and springy, the leather feeling almost alive. Some of the best sports shoes I ever had. Then Adidas discontinued that particular hide.

I still have 3 or 4 pairs of adidas soccer shoes made from kangaroo leather. They feel great but the indoors don't last too long.

Paul Smith captoes from last season. Got them at Traffic in LA for 50% off! They already have a beautiful patina applied to them, but I'd imagine they will only get better with age.

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg