Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Love the color. Not particularily thrilled with the boot itself. Nothing interesting about it. Maybe the shape looks better in person but in pictures it doesn't distinguish itself.

I agree here - or else I would have snapped them up. What's in their favor is that they are wet-dream comfortable, and they polish up with cool patina.

aubrgene - thanks for the shot in the arm!

I agree here - or else I would have snapped them up. What's in their favor is that they are wet-dream comfortable, and they polish up with cool patina.

That they may be but at that price boots need to elicit an emotional response from me. I personally couldn't justify them on a purely rational basis (comfortable, well constructed etc.) I have to have a deep emotional longing to spend what I spend on boots.

what pair of medium height boots (good quality ) would look good on a skull 5010 or a samurai s710? i need suggestions id like to have a pair.. and maybe the link to the shop? thanks!

edmond - I know the Sams but any photo of the skull? About the boot, do you want lace-up or pull-on, worker-style? I think one of the best quality boots you can get for not too much is R.M. Williams. Very versatile too, they can be polished up for business use, and they kick ass for beater-everyday use too. I have several pair of the Craftsman - several because they fit so well, maybe the best-fitting boot I have. The company site is:

http://rmwilliams.com/

shoes.rmwilliams.gif

Hey Dave - I'll take some photos manana with some good sunlight. There are three boots I'm waiting for - White's Semi-dress, C&J Villiers handgrade cap-toe in tan, and the brown C & J Skye brogued lace-up boot that Synthi posted.

I went back in this thread and saw familyman's cigar shell cordovan brogues as new, and a bit later. They're great!

When I get the Whites, I'd like to do a comparison between them, the Indies and the Red Wing 1911s. Similar price range and they seem to be treated as alternatives to each other. But I've never seen anyone post a pic of their own White's semi dress...

Greg i would go with the handgrade Villiers C&J rather than Connistons. Benefit is that they will be noticeably nicer plus are on the 337 last which you know will fit you!

Or seeing as you have enough C&J action do what I would and check out the Edward Green models Galway, Shannon & Nevis :eek: :eek: :eek:

here are my Indys which were an Xmas present, so they've had 3 solid months of wear. Sorry the pictures suck. Also before I get flamed, the laces broke while I was travelling and I grabbed some from from a payless. I just got back into Philly a bit ago but haven't had any luck finding more suitable replacements. Suggestions would be welcome.

Using Pecards at first was key. They definintely darkened a lot and the Pecards got sped along the whole, "getting new boots that look plasticy to look like actual leather" process.

I'm pretty pleased thus far.

aldens1.jpg

aldens2.jpg

aldens3.jpg

edmond - I know the Sams but any photo of the skull? About the boot, do you want lace-up or pull-on, worker-style? I think one of the best quality boots you can get for not too much is R.M. Williams. Very versatile too, they can be polished up for business use, and they kick ass for beater-everyday use too. I have several pair of the Craftsman - several because they fit so well, maybe the best-fitting boot I have. The company site is:

http://rmwilliams.com/

shoes.rmwilliams.gif

hey bud thanks so much! ill check the site out..!

here are my Indys which were an Xmas present, so they've had 3 solid months of wear. Sorry the pictures suck. Also before I get flamed, the laces broke while I was travelling and I grabbed some from from a payless. I just got back into Philly a bit ago but haven't had any luck finding more suitable replacements. Suggestions would be welcome.

Using Pecards at first was key. They definintely darkened a lot and the Pecards got sped along the whole, "getting new boots that look plasticy to look like actual leather" process.

I'm pretty pleased thus far.

aldens1.jpg

aldens2.jpg

aldens3.jpg

New laces contact Alden. I bought 2 pair of laces and it was like $10. My Alden Indys are 6 years old with a ton of wear and now on their third set of heels.

Greg i would go with the handgrade Villiers C&J rather than Connistons. Benefit is that they will be noticeably nicer plus are on the 337 last which you know will fit you!

Or seeing as you have enough C&J action do what I would and check out the Edward Green models Galway, Shannon & Nevis :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes, I'm waiting for the Villiers to come in. They are cap-toes like the Coniston, plus the leather is way better, plus a leather sole. I actually have only 2 prs of C & J, I just talk about them a lot more, because there is a store in NYC. I actually don't know where to get fitted for Edward Green, but that is a natural next step. I was in London for 2 weeks working last year, visiting Jermyn Street, and the EG store was right there. I saw only a chelsea and a zip-sided boot there, nothing to really get excited about..... I know the Galway - will check out the Shannon and Nevis too...

The EG equestrian country boot range are more refined than those offered by C&J in that they are sleeker and narrow at the toebox. Very elegant. They sent me a catalogue last week and there was a lot to lust after.

I was aiming to get the Villiers later this year as my second pair of proper shoes but would like to dip my toes in a different pond so will probably go EG. Funds permitting I'd love to get the John Lobb 'Brooklands' which are truly ethereal.

Here are some boots and a few shoes. More Indy pics later on. Lots of the same manufacturers because once I discover something that fits, I want more of it. Among shoes of quality, that I can try on here in NYC, lots don't feel comfortable.

Legend

=======

Far row:

=====================

R.M. Williams Craftsman

Corcoran jump boots

Matterhorn 8" insulated waterproof

Red Wing 875

R.M.W. Craftsman, 7 years old!!

Middle row:

========================================

Alden 405 with nothing but clear creme and polish

Crockett and Jones Coniston

Alden shell cordovan cap-toe dress boot

Alden 405 with tan and brown polish

Front row:

========================================

Allen Edmunds Leeds, shell cordovan

Crockett and Jones Clifford

shoes.gif

New laces contact Alden. I bought 2 pair of laces and it was like $10. My Alden Indys are 6 years old with a ton of wear and now on their third set of heels.

I ordered some waxed flat laces, WWII-style, from What Price Glory. Pics when they arrive...

Greg, I love your collection!!!!Woaw...envy....

Guys, My sister is going to San Francisco in a few months. She'll stop by the Alden store, do you guys think that if I give them my foot prints they could tell the correct size and width I need??

More Indies! Why did I buy another pair? Because the price is good, I like the look more as I wear them more, and my one-month-old pair alternates between being comfortable and bugging me with where the heel-pad hits the arch of my foot. Even though Minas the Greek show wizard did a great job. He said I have sensitive feet. I used tan and brown and clear polish on them.

So - I got a new pair, and this one I want to let darken naturally, maybe through rubbing. I plan to use only clear polish on it. It feels very comfortable in the footbed, by the way.

These photos used a flash, but no photoshopping on the colors or brightness or anything--

Old:

indy.old.front.gif

indy.old.69.gif

New:

indy.new.front.gif

indy.new.69.gif

Together:

indy.new.old.front.gif

indy.newold.back.gif

you should get a shoe tree if you dont like your shoes curling up and getting extra creases. Some people don't care though, you can see many trendy shoes emulating this beatass toe curl look.

I get the cheapest cedar trees i can find. I wouldnt buy $40 shoe trees unless I got some hand grades or higher

Tarmac - I agree - go with generic shoe trees (I like cedar) unless for hand-grade shoes, where trees of the same last are important.

Meader - I was just getting shoes to wear over the years, maybe about 7 years ago I graduated from Blundstone to R.M. Williams. But most of the shoes arrived in the last year. The beginning of the end was from Miz - he invited me to this thread a few months ago. When I saw other people interested in boots and I saw all youse guys' photos, the thing really took off.

Tricker Stow Espresso, halfway through lexolx2/lincoln/urad treatment. I'm doing one shoe a time so I know for certain what effect each stage has.

dsc04129small.jpg