Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

ricochet - welcome - this is one of the friendliest places on the web, and it's just one thread. Amazing! Anyway, I'd recommend ordering the 1911s in size 10 from cultizm.com, letting him know that you might need to return them for another size. When you get them, keep all the packing material, wear them on carpet only and check out the fit. And go from there. Did I mention the way cool waxed cotton laces? They are amazing the way they hold in place. I ordered them for my Indies.

Leica - always a pleasure, sir, to see you drop by. Remember, I have a package for you!!

Ska - Are the RMs you're talking about the ones with buckles? Did you ever post them here or on SF? I learned a lesson too about polishing and creases and stuff. On my C & J Cliffords, even clear polish will put the effect of tiny ripples in the leather where the leather folds. My shine guy (best I've ever seen in NYC) warned me about this too. But worse yet, the several coats of clear actually darkened the leather a bit - they look better lighter. The only way I know to lighten it is to leave them in the sun. There must be a better way - I'm pretty noob-ish dealing with light tan leather, maybe I'll ask on SF if I can gather up courage for the flames that would bring on!

ricochet - welcome - this is one of the friendliest places on the web, and it's just one thread. Amazing! Anyway, I'd recommend ordering the 1911s in size 10 from cultizm.com, letting him know that you might need to return them for another size. When you get them, keep all the packing material, wear them on carpet only and check out the fit. And go from there. Did I mention the way cool waxed cotton laces? They are amazing the way they hold in place. I ordered them for my Indies.

Leica - always a pleasure, sir, to see you drop by. Remember, I have a package for you!!

Ska - Are the RMs you're talking about the ones with buckles? Did you ever post them here or on SF? I learned a lesson too about polishing and creases and stuff. On my C & J Cliffords, even clear polish will put the effect of tiny ripples in the leather where the leather folds. My shine guy (best I've ever seen in NYC) warned me about this too. But worse yet, the several coats of clear actually darkened the leather a bit - they look better lighter. The only way I know to lighten it is to leave them in the sun. There must be a better way - I'm pretty noob-ish dealing with light tan leather, maybe I'll ask on SF if I can gather up courage for the flames that would bring on!

Correct, they are the jodhpur Stockmans. I have posted them but I will need to get some better pictures. As for the tan leather, I don't know how to best approach it, quite honestly. I caught at a discounter a used pair of goldish tan AE Fairfax for almost nothing and I realised that, like in your case, the clear wax did indeed darken them a bit! I have not tried the tan polish on them yet, I will need to try it on the edges first, see what it does. At least the colour is still nice. I would not fear flaming on SF for this; it is indeed a legitimate question that I don't recall ever seeing answered. I know quite a few have tan shoes so it will be interesting what you can find out.

So many comments to make.

LL - great pictures. Great stories. Keep ducking.

Bill - really nice collection, I'm amazed at how well those Justins polished up.

Greg and skal - thanks for the updates and such. More pictures are always appreciated. :)

I'm personally out of the boot buying game for a bit. Cordovan Indy's will hopefully be coming in the fall. I won't be in my boots much in a short time. Texas summer means no socks and slip on shoes for me. Boat shoes are another one that can really develop great looking patina in the time before they fall apart. I'm in need of a new pair. I think I'll place an order with Quoddy.

I always liked Norm’s one-liners:

“It a dog-eat-dog world out there, and I’m wearing milk bone underwear.â€

I take back a lot of the bad things that I said about the Conniston. I now think that the shape of the boot is pretty darn good. It looks a world better than in the stock pictures a few pages back. Looking at it, I like it more and more, the toe has a really nice profile for a country boot.

I think I'm in love with the leather. Great texture to it. That's a nice looking pair of boots Greg.

I think the shape of those are really great. The grainy (? don´t know the proper term) leather is putting me off though, I guess I prefer smooth leather.

Really looking forward to some Semi-dress pics, especially with jeans. The shape of those are great, but the heel is pretty weird and intense..

i'm usually not a big fan of visible grains either, but i have to say the grains on those conistons look proportionately great to me -- not too big, not too small. and having seen part of greg's collection before, seems like a nice alternative style to what he already has.

handsome boots.

Thanks Greg. I'll have something new to photograph hanging out the chopper door.

Those Coniston's are very nice looking. Like Familyman says, your photos are much more flattering than their own stock shots.

Well, I've got today's shots.

I think I’m gonna call my series, “My Left Foot, Not Starring Daniel Day Lewis†(obscure film reference there).

Not very original, as I'm back to my Grensons. I have also discovered that light colored polish brings out every crease and idea-of-a-crease. Still, these are great boots. Tomorrow, I think I’ll go with my bespoke chappals. Today’s matching denim is the Sugar Cane 45 Lee’s.

GrensonsOverBajaur.jpg

Location: Today, it was Grensons over Bajaur Agency and Upper Dir. You can Google Earth it to scope it out. It’s a bit further north from Khyber and Torra Borra.

GrensonsOverDir.jpg

Not very original, as I'm back to my Grensons. I have also discovered that light colored polish brings out every crease and idea-of-a-crease....

I did that too once or twice with the Ilkleys and realised that I should not continue doing that. I only use brown and occassionally very little cordovan coloured wax polish.

Time for another “Taliban Target Practice” photo-op. Maybe I should just put these in the WAYWT thread. Actually, I think I will over in the Ask Andy forum. That shoe thread is filled with utter snobs. This thread is home. Lots of cool stuff been added. Thanks for keeping this thread alive!

Anyway, got 4 days of poppy huntin’ duty this week. Flights over Kurram Agency just cancelled cause the fighting is really, really hot this week. Got shot at today over Khyber (Bara River Valley), but the pilot told me, “They don’t really mean it, they just shoot at everyone.” I felt so much better.

Today’s footwear is a pair of Alden work boots, matched with Sammie 5000BKs. Gotta show these Taliban what SuFu style is all about, eh?

boots-10April07.jpg

I’ve added two more shots of some poppy fields. The first is with shoes :D. Boots and poppy. That green strip back there is ALL poppy.

Bootspoppy.jpg

The other is a poppy field shot of a section of the Bara Valley. Basically, 90% of what is green in this photo is poppy. It’s a bumper crop this year.

poppy10April07.jpg

This view is from pretty high up. They were shooting at us here. :cool:

Hey nice looking boots.

Can I please have more info on these bad ass beauty?

is that commando sole shown on shoemart?:confused::confused::confused:

Hey nice looking boots.

Can I please have more info on these bad ass beauty?

is that commando sole shown on shoemart?:confused::confused::confused:

These are Alden 306 workboots. See: http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ortho_cdi_306.htm

They are not a commando sole. These are neither sleek nor sexy, but have a certain appeal. I'm still struggling to get the right insole fit, but the boots are nice. I got them when I won an Eprey auction for Dress Chukkas. These came instead. sigh. Wasn't worth the fight. The seller meant well, and offered to refund. I said: Nevermind, we're cool.

I'd say not worth full retail, but I got mine for $100. They are definitely worth that, for sure. There's no pull tab (sometimes needed), and no speed lacing. Cloth lined, like the Indy's.

The Ilkley's are in another class, altogether. I got them in February. Sized down a full size (they're UK made), and they fit great. The construction and leather quality are simply outstanding. The commando sole is pronounced, so they don't feel like a dress boot. But the military types give 'em respect. One guy even said: "Damn, dress combat boots!" Not that I like to remember that I'm in a combat zone or anything...

Oh, and where? From Pediwear. Great service. Got 'em during bi-annual sale. I definitely recommend them as a vendor. Nice people, too.

g'nite. Got another day of Taliban Trails tomorrow.