Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

i dont believe the laces are leather

here's a shot of the sole. The bottom of the sole say's "made in Lusitania". I found this surprising thinking they were made in Italy. The inside of the boot say's "Made in EU" and "Rino" below that. Can you make any sense of it?

shoes003-1.jpg

closeup of the first speedlace

shoes001.jpg

shoes005.jpg

It is interesting as it really isn't a captoe but there is some reinforcement under the toe that gives the illusion of a captoe. I believe the soles are double welted.

LL - agree on the captoe bluchers. Which is why one of these days I'm gonna go for the EG Shannon, the best looking Oxford or Bal boot I've ever seen. I found a great photo on SF but that page won't load on my browser, too many photos, and too busy a time.

Braidkid - the sole looks good! Maybe I'll googlize the brand this week...

Chicken, cool, never seen a photo other than the stock photos that look half illustrated. The welt is a bit big, but then that's why there are Brooklands and Villiers and Shannons! My Whites are due in about 2 weeks now....

aha. about a week-and-a-half left now!

I went hunting on SF and found a couple photos of the Shannon. Gawd! Those are jaw droppers. I’ll bet the price is, too! Anyone know what the tag on these is? Yeesh. I don’t think the missus would be too pleased if I start crossing the 1/2k mark on footwear. Sigh. Damn beautiful, tho.

uppers4_sm.jpg

Photo property of TimelessRider on SF

Wow, thanks for the photos! They are more than 1/2 $K. More like 1.2K, if the Edward Green prices at Jay Kos here in NYC are anything to go by. I definitely don't have the permission to go this high - at least not now in my recent shoe-splurge. Maybe down the road.

They are snob-approved too. Since even Manton at SF said he'd be happy if all he had in the way of shoes were "a closet full of Shannons."

Thanks for the quick reality check: $1.2K. Big sigh. Ain't no way. When it hits that price bracket, I'm shopping for persian carpets, not footwear. But ain't they purdy to look at?!?

Gorgeous. I've noticed though that most of the shoes being posted here are half-boots.

Do you mean as opposed to regular low-top shoes?

You're exactly right! I've been wearing boots most of my life. So I really appreciate that about this forum, though I can't explain it. Most of the other shoe forums concentrate on regular shoes. Maybe it's the loose connection with workwear that you find with denim.

they are 1940's jump-boots, so that's probably why.

and bananas is right!

chad

Good stuff! I'd wear them. I have a pair of similar boots (courtesy of eBay again) but made by RL (of all companies). But they run large. And breaking them in was like a pain-filled soap opera involving wax, oil, water and blisters. BIG blisters.

Please ignore the occassional bits of bird seed and pellets on the floor...

img17388en.jpg

i have a lot of respect for RL, especially RRL. they really do their research when designing their stuff.

You know, I noticed that if you actually dig past the stuff with the logos, all the polo shirts and the assorted trad/prepwear, there are some real gems to be found in the RL empire. Especially with things that don't sell well, like RRL. Some nice old-fashioned military/workwear at excellent prices, for instance, on eBay.

@ partytaco...

agreed. the color and detailing seemed (to me) to be a bit higher quality than normal, not to mention the preservation.

& nice hermans, chicken!

i think taco's right, too, because i was able to land my hermans at a really good price and in a great condition. i don't think they are on many people's radars.

just picked these up. have wanted a pair of these since my girlfriend bought hers a couple months back...

60's Gokey Boots. Made long before Orvis came in and reworked the boot for mass production.

check out http://www.bigfoottrail.com/highland.html for the last of the remaining Gokey trained bootmakers who are still making the original Gokey boot but under their own name.

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

haha...so does Free and Easy magazine...I swear it says "we respect RRL" or "we repect ralph lauren" at least 5 times in each copy of the magazine. that magazine needs to move past the RRL worship before it becomes a $15 monthly RRL catalog.

i have a lot of respect for RL, especially RRL. they really do their research when designing their stuff.