Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Sorry for the large pictures, but here is an update on my Frye Brandos and the Alden Indys. Both are about 6 months old maybe older. I use Obenaufs on the brandos and Alden Leather condition on the Indys. I also had to switch the laces on my Aldens, cuz the ones that came with them broke after a months. Two sets of laces. The new laces are the leather type.

aldenxfryebrando003pc8.jpg

aldenxfryebrando004iw4.jpg

aldenxfryebrando009in8.jpg

Hey Anyone has any info on this shoes?

Retail price and where to buy ,,,,, dang... I missed the ending time :(:(:(:(:(:(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200099492099&rd=1&rd=1

I know these are Alden, and I am sured I saw these on SuFu forum some where...

man I want these....Why I missed the ending time = (

Hi Matrix, I saw and forgot about those, too. Those were my size, too!!! But, they are a bit funky, stylewise. These are the Alden 500. See: http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ortho_spe_500.htm

Someone got and talked about a pair earlier in this thread. Don't remember exactly when, tho.

WoW!!!

Greg, aren't those gorgeous? Just in time for summer?

For my week back in Bangkok, the leather shoes aren't getting much love, to say the least!

Cheers!

LL - So what do you wear in Bangkok? Not leather? The only think I can think of is sandals or flips flops! Yeah, I wear boots all year round. The only time not is when I'm cycling, or wearing my huge-ass hip-hop denim shorts. Then it's old-skool cap-toe Adidas or Chucks!

rnrswitch - great looking boots. All the indy's around here just look so good.

Greg - Those are beautiful. I'm feeling the need to own another pair of brogued boots. Can't wait for the whites to show up. You need to post a boot family picture when that happens.

Those skyes are incredible. But they look a little different than the ones posted a few months ago. Maybe the toe is more pointed? Is it a different last?

Greg! Nice boots!! Of course I would say that ;) They look lighter than my pair in colour but I think my pair had the antique finish which I think means it went through a hand burnishing phase at the factory. Yours look fresh as fresh get which is nice, you can polish them as your taste dictates.

Tarmac they look to be on exactly the same last, i think any differences might be due to Greg & I being different sizes, my feet are smaller!

Having caught the boot bug, I got in touch with EG earlier this week and enquird about a pair of Shannons. They are made to order so the downside is a wait but the upside is that you can specify your preferred last and I imagine spec the uppers too. Possibly maybe even go for a double leather sole but I think the lower profile would look more elegant on this model. The price is x2 of my C&J Skye's but I am looking for avenues of justification!

I got my 1911s today! I probably could have gone down half a size to a 9.5. These 10Ds run a little long making the heel kind of loose. They feel better when the laces are tightened but were too tight at first when I took these pics. Maybe with an insole they won't slip. I don't really want to send them back to Germany and am afraid a 9.5 may be too small. The fit on these is becoming kind of annoying, though.

rw1d3e.jpg

rw2657.jpg

Now to get some Sno Seal, Kiwi paste wax in the colors Greg recommended earlier (thanks btw), and cedar shoe trees.

While searching GIS for 'oxblood' to see the color of the polish, I found these boots:

oxbloodpanzer20a3.jpg :rolleyes:

I took my 9105s to the local show repair guy and asked him what I should do to take care of them, and he was not having it at all. He looked at me like a goof, gave me a thing of polish, and said "it is the right colour, no?".

It is very liquidy, not like the polish I have used in the past. It is Meltonian brand boot and shoe cream polish in burgundy. Thoughts? Is one to do anything else?

^ I know . . ! I was quoted £640 so that's actually more than 2 pairs of Skye's and he sounded conservative so I'm guessing there are 'options' perhaps a bit like when you buy a new car. Then there are trees so I'm thinking you wouldn't walk out with much change outta £700 :eek:

Hey Anyone has any info on this shoes?

Retail price and where to buy ,,,,, dang... I missed the ending time :(:(:(:(:(:(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200099492099&rd=1&rd=1

I know these are Alden, and I am sured I saw these on SuFu forum some where...

man I want these....Why I missed the ending time = (

I found a pair of these randomly at a thrift store. I'd be happy to answer any question if they are about fit or construction

I got my 1911s today! I probably could have gone down half a size to a 9.5. These 10Ds run a little long making the heel kind of loose. They feel better when the laces are tightened but were too tight at first when I took these pics. Maybe with an insole they won't slip. I don't really want to send them back to Germany and am afraid a 9.5 may be too small. The fit on these is becoming kind of annoying, though.

rw1d3e.jpg

rw2657.jpg

Now to get some Sno Seal, Kiwi paste wax in the colors Greg recommended earlier (thanks btw), and cedar shoe trees.

While searching GIS for 'oxblood' to see the color of the polish, I found these boots:

oxbloodpanzer20a3.jpg :rolleyes:

I do own the 1911 too and they run a little long...

After trying a size 11D I decided to buy a 10.5D and there's still some space left in the toe box which I think is normal for boots.

Panzer boots....damn some people are reallt retarded!!!:eek:

Thanks, Dave. I think I'll keep the 10D 1911 and have a little more space in the toe. Agreed that those Panzer boots are ridiculous.

Since I have the 10D (maybe could go to a 9.5D) in the 1911, does anyone know what size would be best for the Frye Arkansas boot? I've read to size down half a size. I have my eye on the chestnut colored ones.

Synthi - I forget whose Skyes got posted before, yours? My thanks to that person, because I had never known about that model. They are great brogues, and boots too! And they fit better than almost all my other boots. While at C & J I found out that they are doing more burnishing now on the bench grade (incl. the Skyes). So they are looking almost as good as the hand grades but with no increased material cost. I will go for a more dark-light pattern perhaps, looking like antiquing.

Dave - got the Whites yesterday, pics this eve. I'm not crazy about the look, but they fit real well. Will do a point-by-point comparison with the Indies. I won't be able to include the 1911's in that (well, I can go from memory) because one of our illustrious members purchased the 1911s from me!

Dave - got the Whites yesterday, pics this eve. I'm not crazy about the look, but they fit real well. Will do a point-by-point comparison with the Indies. I won't be able to include the 1911's in that (well, I can go from memory) because one of our illustrious members purchased the 1911s from me!

I'm surprized you're not crazy about thee Whites, are they really so different in reality than what you've seen on the pics?

A comparison is great and helpful!!thank you

So since these boots are getting some attention to them, I took them out for a polishing. In doing so I took out the insoles. Now, I know the general consensus is that they look like the Alden Surgical boot, but we weren't 100% sure. At first I only noticed that mine were marked "Sabels Basic Shoes". . .but this time, in better light I could see what it said underneath. . .

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

White's pictures. What I like about these are the sole and heel. What I don't like is the last - too duck-footed. Yes, I have sort of wide feet, but it isn't all my fault, since I *can* fit comfortably into the the elegant, slender and famous 337 last from Crockett and Jones! You'll see what I mean below... Some pics taken with flash, some not, depending on what illusrated the feature better...

They look like a solid workman's boot w/ the LVC 1947s. I need a narrower jean and a bit of a roll on the cuff since the underslung White's heel lets the cuff drag right on the ground, offering no blockage. This doesn't happen with any other boots I have - some boots even prevent the 1933s from dragging on the ground.

w.jeans2.gif

The laces are waxed cotton WWII repros from What Price Glory.

w.top.gif

And at certain angles they look very cool!

w.69.gif

The heels are great

w.best.gif

w.heels.gif

The sole is one of the only pre-oiled pieces of oak leather I've ever seen. Nicely nailed in places too. Look at the convex 3-D curve in the shank, it's a very solid shank.

w.sole.all.gif

w.sole.close.gif

But at other anges it looks downright hobbit like, very duck-footed, and with a welt that's just plain too thick, with none of the retro refinement and styling of the Indy's welt:

w.hobbit2.gif

w.welt.gif

I'm not crazy about looking down on this waddle-foot, so I won't wear these as much as I had thought. What do you guys think of the White's?

w.hobbit.top.gif