Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

After seeing all these pics of White's SD makes me want a pair bad, however living in Canada, i doubt there are any places that sell the SD, so im thinking i should just go with some RW GTs, anyone know of any places which sells whites? If no, anyone willing to help out a noob with sizing and customization?

im looking to pick up a pair of tricker's stow but from what i have been looking around, sizing seems to be queer.

typically on any shoe conversion chart, a UK7 is equivalent to a US8. but on a few tricker's stockists i have been to, they list a UK7 as a US7.5. i am planning to size down 1 on a fitting 5 boot but i am having trouble deciding if i should be going with a UK7 or a UK6.5. it doesnt help that different websites list them differently. if it is a fitting 6, i am confident of going for a UK6.5 but i cant say the same on a fitting 5.

It does depend on the shape of your feet, but I find the Stow reasonably trim. The 444 last (Illkley etc) is definitely half a size bigger).

Headed for the endclothing sale? Those Acorn Stow sure look nice.

After seeing all these pics of White's SD makes me want a pair bad, however living in Canada, i doubt there are any places that sell the SD, so im thinking i should just go with some RW GTs, anyone know of any places which sells whites? If no, anyone willing to help out a noob with sizing and customization?

Sure, If you fancy buying online got to bakershoe.

http://www.bakershoe.com/

I live in Spain and they certainly dont sell any white's off the shelf here.

Bought 5 pairs from them and Im a happy costumer.

It does depend on the shape of your feet, but I find the Stow reasonably trim. The 444 last (Illkley etc) is definitely half a size bigger).

Headed for the endclothing sale? Those Acorn Stow sure look nice.

a pity they've run out of sizes. i'll probably wait for david to do up a listing for a stow on their ebay listing. will be going for a UK7 i guess. purchased a pair of rippon boots but the red wasnt to my liking so i returned them. hope to find a decent pair up for cheap. heh.

im looking to pick up a pair of tricker's stow but from what i have been looking around, sizing seems to be queer.

typically on any shoe conversion chart, a UK7 is equivalent to a US8. but on a few tricker's stockists i have been to, they list a UK7 as a US7.5. i am planning to size down 1 on a fitting 5 boot but i am having trouble deciding if i should be going with a UK7 or a UK6.5. it doesnt help that different websites list them differently. if it is a fitting 6, i am confident of going for a UK6.5 but i cant say the same on a fitting 5.

The 5 fitting is a standard fitting. If you're a US 8, go with a UK 7.5 if you wear chunky socks or 7 if not.

My bargain basement Stow are a full normal size down from what I've always considered my true size and the fit was 'snug' at first, to say the least...now they're standard shoes for work:..

Those Acorn Stow sure look nice.

dscf2433.jpg

And a slightly better pic of the right hand side of the clan as I've reached some kind of compromise with the camera:

dscf2429y.jpg

Tried on my pair of Trickers yesterday but came home with my feet cramped and hurting everywhere. Even though I tried on a pair of Trickers in a local shop, it seems the different lasts that Trickers uses are substantially different in sizing. The pair I tried on in the shop was a size 7UK, width 5 and was perfect but the pair I bought (same size and width) is very tight around the toes. I will probably have to have them adopted by someone with smaller feet than mine.

ps for comparison sake, i wear a size 8D US in Alden Barrie and Trubalance and size 8C in Whites SD

Posted this in the "wild animal prints" thread over in supershopper, then thought some here might be interested.

Bata sells some pretty phenomenal hair-on-hide desert boots out this way. All sorts of different colors/patterns/animals. I've been very tempted to get a pair for the 70,000 Ugandan Shillings (~$30) they cost here (or at least did last time I checked), but already have too much shit I'm going to need to transport back to the States. Don't have any pictures of my own, so thieved a few from around the internet:

bata-safari-boots.jpg

"The boots that say you know Africa"... love it.

Bata-Safari-boots.jpg

189A.jpg

...still tempted...

The Lotus look very stylish as well as practical . I must say that whilst a toecap boot has always been a favourite , a grain finish never really has been but recent pics have definitely changed my mind . Seriously looking at the Grasmere . Cheaney Penine or maybe a Hoggs Rannoch for next purchase . Overall outfit looks good too , like the pants !! .

Loving chunky brogue boots with commando soles...

The Lotus boots seem to have a sleeker profile than their shoes, having seen Paul's in the flesh and in comparison with my own Tecnics. The Grasmere is chunkier, being a '6' fitting. The Tricker's veldtschoen appear to be on the same 4497s last but with a '5' fitting width, although the Lotus are still sleeker.

The trousers are Carhartt Ropers, a riff-influenced purchase :D Think they were only available in Europe, a few stockists may still have them. Only get them if you can live with a low front rise, however!

Update on my Semi Dress.... Going on a week now. They're not totally broken in but getting there. Much better than the first day for sure.

DSC00109.JPG

And why do you guys get them leather lined? They're already leather lined in the whole toe and heel area....?

[quote=CrashTestBrummie;2724781

The Lotus boots seem to have a sleeker profile than their shoes, having seen Paul's in the flesh and in comparison with my own Tecnics. The Grasmere is chunkier, being a '6' fitting. The Tricker's veldtschoen appear to be on the same 4497s last but with a '5' fitting width, although the Lotus are still sleeker.

I like the idea of a sleeker boot but as I wear heels hard , on the inside of each heel , the fact that veldtschoens may only go three sole changes initally is a drawback . I dunno but i have a month or two yet to make my decision . By then the Sanders will need resoled/heeled and may go to semi retirement . Could go either way in terms of manufacturer but a zug grain toecapped boot will be my next purchase .

And why do you guys get them leather lined? They're already leather lined in the whole toe and heel area....?

If its the English country style boot you refer too I suppose it is a traditional feature , probably to do with the wet / cold / damp Northern European climate . It definitley helps in Belfast come Novemeber to February . Even in summer you dont really notice the extra lining other than the boots are really comfortable !

I was referring to the White's. I thought the leather lined was for ease of getting a sock in and out, plus a more "finished" look.

Some of the leathers that White's uses are too thin to be taken without lining.

@TF: Nice boots! Goota love black scotch grain :)

I like the idea of a sleeker boot but as I wear heels hard , on the inside of each heel , the fact that veldtschoens may only go three sole changes initally is a drawback . I dunno but i have a month or two yet to make my decision . By then the Sanders will need resoled/heeled and may go to semi retirement . Could go either way in terms of manufacturer but a zug grain toecapped boot will be my next purchase .

Ya know, I'm not entirely sure that what was said to Paul T was accurate...the original models were designed to go on for years and years, and to be worn hard - hardly the qualities you'd associate with a boot that had a finite amount of repair life in it.

And like Paul said, a commando sole could well outlive the wearer, especially if the boots weren't the only pair the owner possesses...

All this talk of Veltdschoen is really pissing me off. Of course, now that I have less than 1.5 months left in Uganda, I learn about the boots that were pretty much made for exactly the environ in which I live. It would have been far more courteous of all of you to have started this theme on "Shoes that look better with age..." about 2 years ago.

Jerks.

All this talk of Veltdschoen is really pissing me off. Of course, now that I have less than 1.5 months left in Uganda, I learn about the boots that were pretty much made for exactly the environ in which I live. It would have been far more courteous of all of you to have started this theme on "Shoes that look better with age..." about 2 years ago.

Jerks.

Ha!

The original veldtschoen-built footwear would've been ideal for you - a nice desert boot made of game hide, maybe?

You'd suffer with a pair of zug veldtschoen in Uganda, unless you're a stiff-upper-lipped, old school officer of the British Army... :D

Ya know, I'm not entirely sure that what was said to Paul T was accurate...the original models were designed to go on for years and years, and to be worn hard - hardly the qualities you'd associate with a boot that had a finite amount of repair life in it.

And like Paul said, a commando sole could well outlive the wearer, especially if the boots weren't the only pair the owner possesses...

Yeah , I agree about what was said to Paul , maybe there were reasons for this or maybe it is true ? I would suppose the quality of the sole/heel comes into play . My Sanders heels have taken a lot of walking and are starting to show it . I am now just starting to alternate them with the Malton .How have the heel/soles on your Grasmere held up ? Be interested to hear of anyones experiences of the ITSHIDE sol/heel .

I dont think the zug grain uppers would be an issue though .

Yeah , I agree about what was said to Paul , maybe there were reasons for this or maybe it is true ? I would suppose the quality of the sole/heel comes into play . My Sanders heels have taken a lot of walking and are starting to show it . I am now just starting to alternate them with the Malton .How have the heel/soles on your Grasmere held up ? Be interested to hear of anyones experiences of the ITSHIDE sol/heel .

I dont think the zug grain uppers would be an issue though .

I walk heavily on my heels, too, and you can see it - most clearly on the Victory sole of the Lotus (should've gone with a commando from the off). There's some wear on the Grasmere but not as visible...

The commando sole on the older pair that I posted a few pages back was very worn, but had never been resoled:

imag0105f.jpg