Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

could you post some comparison picks Tom?

And how do they fit? They look pretty good for something put together just to test the last!

The fit was very good right off. The shoes are made of a leather that creases quite easily and helps the shoe maker determine where there might be issues. I mailed a lot of pictures back to Marcell in Hungary so he could see how things were going. He made a series of adjustments, and the final shoes are pretty much done (he mailed me some pictures the other day). They're a Budapest style, heavy goyser stitching, in a scotchgrained leather with some antiquing. I'm really looking forward to getting them. I'll do another detailed post on Styleforum and cross link it here.

Of course, the great thing about a bespoke maker is you can have anything you can dream up. The last few months I've been thinking, based on things I've found in this thread, to have him build me a pair of boots off of my custom last, to my own specifications. Maybe one of these days...

Tom, I just had a look at your suede indies on the website and you know what I think on the indies I think I prefer the (close heel?right term?) unwelted heel. I think it suits the boot better, the finishing is not of great concern, I'd like to see some closer pictures of the reverse welt too though.

What greg posted does make a lot of sense too.

stylistically come to think of it my trickers have a rather ungainly chunky heel due to the welt although C&J definitely get it right.

That's really interesting what Nick said and sounds so right. Again, I'll get back to you guys when I hear back from Alden.

I could have asked for the 360 welt, but I wanted to keep them as close to the 405s as I could. My suede Indys have 360 with reverse welt. When you go 360 with storm, it gets really wide looking. Maybe next order I should go with the 360 reverse? I actually like that better.

could you post some comparison picks Tom?

I'll get it done on Monday.

Tom, I just had a look at your suede indies on the website and you know what I think on the indies I think I prefer the (close heel?right term?) unwelted heel. I think it suits the boot better, the finishing is not of great concern, I'd like to see some closer pictures of the reverse welt too though.

What greg posted does make a lot of sense too.

stylistically come to think of it my trickers have a rather ungainly chunky heel due to the welt although C&J definitely get it right.

To me the reverse welt looks good and isn't too clunky. When the storm welt goes 360 it starts looking odd to me.

To me the reverse welt looks good and isn't too clunky. When the storm welt goes 360 it starts looking odd to me.

I'm in agreement here. I like the 360 reverse welt that is on my shell Indys. I also have a number of shoes that are reverse welt, but with an unwelted, close heel (Alden and non-Alden's) and those are pretty nice as well. The partial storm welt to me looks decidedly unrefined. On the other hand, the 405s aren't meant to be a dress boot, so maybe that's fine.

Edit:

In case anyone is wonder what I'm talking about, here's a picture from a pair of Alden's with the reverse welt, but with an unwelted heel.

closeheellw7.jpg

Inside of shoe on left, outside on right.

I'm in agreement here. I like the 360 reverse welt that is on my shell Indys. I also have a number of shoes that are reverse welt, but with an unwelted, close heel (Alden and non-Alden's) and those are pretty nice as well. The partial storm welt to me looks decidedly unrefined. On the other hand, the 405s aren't meant to be a dress boot, so maybe that's fine.

Edit:

In case anyone is wonder what I'm talking about, here's a picture from a pair of Alden's with the reverse welt, but with an unwelted heel.

closeheellw7.jpg

Inside of shoe on left, outside on right.

Albert,

That's actually a regular welt, close heel.

I particularly like dog hide for my boots. Michael Vick is releasing a very nice line of boots in this direction.

what kind of leather is this?

as stated before, the ugly kind :D

No way dude. Its the Huf quake x White's collabo. Those were made to withstand months of cage wear. I think they also have a special place to put laminated cards.

Actually there is just a slot to put Take5 discount cards in.

Thought I'd post this up.

ebay find, Church's custom grade, not much details on it though.

before (pic from seller)

8f34_1.jpg

after

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

After wiping clean and a polish....appears darker but only because the lighting conditions differ in the pics.