Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I have my order for the ultimate indy's also... and yes it's a 4-6 month wait...

oh and a side note I won the pair I'm getting!

They look great.

I want a pair now.... but I can't.

That scruffy looking welt end seems to be fairly usual on indies, but I had no idea it would be like that on the new england grade shoes.

I've had about 5 pairs of Indies and the rough welt is normal. The paint chip is not so common, but easily touched up. I think for the price, Indies are a very very good deal. The stock Indies with the neoprene sole can be worn in a corporate environment (like at work where I can't wear jeans!). I'll be concluding my order of Ultimate Indies today, for Tom's next shipment of them.....
thanks for clarifying this welt construction issue up greg! thanks!

and yeah why did leathersoul calle dthem the ultimate indies just curious

Was that from the action-pic photo contest or what?

The rough welting seems to be on most shoes that have the storm welt that is cut off at the heel. I didn't expect my ANE Ultimates to be like this, but I wasn't really surprised since it is so prevelant on the 405s. I've already emailed Alden Edmond's pic to see what their take on it is.

The ANE standards are more to do with the full leather linings, better quality sole, better quality leather (it's Horween aniline calf), and better finishing ( I will check on the welting and report back).

Edmond, I call them Ultimate Indys as a catch phrase I guess, since I personally think they are what the 405s should be in my mind...I know Indiana Jones fanatics on some forums don't think they're too "Ultimate" since they are more concerned about screen acuracy, but from a shoe guy point of view, they are "Ultimate" I guess.

Yup, HH won a pair from the photo contest. Not to disrespect the entrants, but I was really expecting a lot more, especially from the SuFu crowd since a lot of you guys are so artistic and talented. I probably won't do any of these types of contests anymore. Maybe I'm just a very harsh judge. :P

Yup, HH won a pair from the photo contest. Not to disrespect the entrants, but I was really expecting a lot more, especially from the SuFu crowd since a lot of you guys are so artistic and talented. I probably won't do any of these types of contests anymore. Maybe I'm just a very harsh judge. :P

lets see the pic that won!!

and very tempted to put an order in for the next batch of ultimate indies

Earlier today on the #7 train headed towards 8th Ave., a German tourist asked me about my 405's, admiring their different look, asking if they were comfortable, and if he might be so forward as to their price (his wife volunteeers, "He loves shoes")? After answering all that, he then asked where he might try them on. So I told him. Of course I told him about the Harrison Ford/Indy connection, but to skip the movie unless it's something he just has to do, because it's a sadly dispirited performance by Spielberg. He thought that was great. I then mentioned that I have a special pair in suede headed my way from Hawaii, and he went, "Hoooo, you have good taste." I said, yeah, I'm a whore for shoes. That cracked them both up. He said he will make sure to stop by Alden on Madison.

Get those Europeans to drop some coin. I told him to be sure to try on Alden's shells. Spend more.

Earlier today on the #7 train headed towards 8th Ave., a German tourist asked me about my 405's, admiring their different look, asking if they were comfortable, and if he might be so forward as to their price (his wife volunteeers, "He loves shoes")? After answering all that, he then asked where he might try them on. So I told him. Of course I told him about the Harrison Ford/Indy connection, but to skip the movie unless it's something he just has to do, because it's a sadly dispirited performance by Spielberg. He thought that was great. I then mentioned that I have a special pair in suede headed my way from Hawaii, and he went, "Hoooo, you have good taste." I said, yeah, I'm a whore for shoes. That cracked them both up. He said he will make sure to stop by Alden on Madison.

Get those Europeans to drop some coin. I told him to be sure to try on Alden's shells. Spend more.

Man, with the Euro being so strong, German Alden Fans are buying like crazy at the Madison and SF shops...I hear at least 3 pair each.

thanks tom for defining what ultimate is and yes it is really how an indy should be..

and yeah ill change the soles to cats paw in a couple of months! hah!

i've never been a boot person, but i'm warming to the idea. I'd like a pair of black boots to wear all winter, something along the lines of a work/combat boot.

These Redwings are along the lines for style/price that i'm aiming towards. But I'm wondering what the resident experts here have to say. Suitable for wet rainy weather? Any other recommendations?

^^^ Vancouverite chiming in. I bought a pair of Alden 405s before this winter and they've been fine for me. Don't expect to be able to stomp around in the slush and puddles all winter, but they get the job done for regular city wear in shitty Vancouver weather.

My advice would be:

A) get some a good polish/wax to keep the water out. I've been using sno-seal (beeswax), which works great. It does darken the leather, however, but this wouldn't be a problem for black boots.

B) brush your boots regularly. street salt (in the winter) can't be good for the leather.

C) try not to wear the boots every day if it's raining often--give them some time to dry out every once in a while.

^^^ Vancouverite chiming in. I bought a pair of Alden 405s before this winter and they've been fine for me. Don't expect to be able to stomp around in the slush and puddles all winter, but they get the job done for regular city wear in shitty Vancouver weather.

You didn't bought this in town, did you?

lol, i just went back and realized i completely glanced over it without reading what you guys were talking about.

must've been a busy day. :(

you could've won that contest chicken! ;)

regarding Tom's point about the ultimate indies welt:

I would have to agree, the cut off storm welt on my white's is similarly rough. It makes me wonder as to the reason for the cut off at the heel. All my english boots have the welt all the way round the heel whereas alden and white's have a cut off. I don't know about Wesco's or other boots.

Is this simply a style point or a historic feature of american work boots? Is there any functional reason for having the cut off?

i've never been a boot person, but i'm warming to the idea. I'd like a pair of black boots to wear all winter, something along the lines of a work/combat boot.

These Redwings are along the lines for style/price that i'm aiming towards. But I'm wondering what the resident experts here have to say. Suitable for wet rainy weather? Any other recommendations?

Can you say any more about what kind of boot you'd want? If you want a combat/military boot that's very resistant to water and weather, then you could try the commando style boot. It's lined in Gore-Tex, and even though the side panel is cordura, the whole thing is waterproof. Like this from Danner (1) or Matterhorn (2). I have some Matterhorns like the ones below except all leather. In rainy winters, I've never felt a drop of water.

42908dannerp_01.jpg

1998-matterhornp_01.jpg

So what about the Red Wings? These aren't as resistant. You'd have to use Obenauf's, Pecard's or Sno Seal to treat them to keep water out, including treating the stitching and leather mid-soles. So why bother?

Because of their style and heritage! This is why you see 99% of the shoes and boots on this thread. As for boots, people on SuFu tend to appreciate the classic style of dress boots, and the various workwear categories: cap-toe and moc-toe work-boots, logger boots, engineer boots, equestrian boots, motorcycle boots, carpenter boots, and others. To me, these styles evoke a classical mid-20th century style which goes along great with premium selvedge denim! Think movies like The Wild One (Brando, motocycle boots), The Great Escape (McQueen, combat boots), They Drive by Night (Bogie as truckdriver, probably w/ cap-toe or moc-toe work boots, but I'd have to see it again to be sure). Even a Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movie. What boots was Holmes wearing as he searched the fens and meadows for the dog that barked in the night? Maybe a Chelsea boot? A hunting boot? I don't even care if those films never show the particular footwear in detail. You'll see the rest of the style of the era, and it's the kind of footwear they *must* have been wearing.

So for me, that's definitely the appeal of the boots we talk about here, and why for style and to wear most days unless pouring outside, I'd reach for the Red Wing Gentleman Travelers over the Danners or Matterhorns.

regarding Tom's point about the ultimate indies welt:

I would have to agree, the cut off storm welt on my white's is similarly rough. It makes me wonder as to the reason for the cut off at the heel. All my english boots have the welt all the way round the heel whereas alden and white's have a cut off. I don't know about Wesco's or other boots.

Is this simply a style point or a historic feature of american work boots? Is there any functional reason for having the cut off?

Two things I just noticed about the rough Indie welts: (1) the outside edge is a lot smoother than the inside edge. (2) other dressier styles do have a 360-degree welt too. Check out the Indies next to the cigar shell chukka boots:

chukka.indy.gif

As to why some boots have an unwelted heel, I talked to Nick at B. Nelson about that very quickly when I was doing the Superleather Indies. I think it's cheaper and easier to make, and also done on models where the expectation was that you'd be replacing only parts at a time. Only the heel pad or half-sole, and not the entire sole, heel and midsole. The RW GTs have an unwelted heel too.

Two things I just noticed about the rough Indie welts: (1) the outside edge is a lot smoother than the inside edge. (2) other dressier styles do have a 360-degree welt too. Check out the Indies next to the cigar shell chukka boots:

As to why some boots have an unwelted heel, I talked to Nick at B. Nelson about that very quickly when I was doing the Superleather Indies. I think it's cheaper and easier to make, and also done on models where the expectation was that you'd be replacing only parts at a time. Only the heel pad or half-sole, and not the entire sole, heel and midsole. The RW GTs have an unwelted heel too.

That's really interesting what Nick said and sounds so right. Again, I'll get back to you guys when I hear back from Alden.

I could have asked for the 360 welt, but I wanted to keep them as close to the 405s as I could. My suede Indys have 360 with reverse welt. When you go 360 with storm, it gets really wide looking. Maybe next order I should go with the 360 reverse? I actually like that better.