Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

In regards to the error on page 375, if you put the thread into a different view mode you can see it easily.

Alden wingtip boots, mostly the same patterns but different colors. The dark brown pair have about 2-3 months of wear,

alden_wingtip_boots_pair.jpg

Ultimate Indy Boots Day 1:

alden_indies_2-1.jpg

Ultimate Indy Boots Day 4:

alden_indies_3.jpg

any of you got a picture of the regular alden shoe tree? would it be best for the indies? thats all the tom of leathersoul could offer me..

Unless Alden has some fancy lasted shoe trees that I don't know about, the regular shoe trees that they sell are just the usual Rochester split toe shoe trees with an Alden brass badge on them.

I must say after the negative review it received a few pages back, I was in quite a state of trepidation, as I had just ordered a pair the day before. However, they've arrived and I am quite pleased with them. I can only conclude the previous reviewer had unfortunately got a badly-made pair --- it must happen some time, no doubt the result of Red Wing Minnesota hangovers --- and such pairs are probably best returned. Mine displayed none of the stitching and alignment faults the reviewer so carefully documented. (Although to be fair, some of the 'faults' were not really faults at all but simply consistent with the finish on a $200 pair of boots --- you can't really expect the same level of fit, lining, and finish as on a pair of $800 Edward Greens after all). I will get a decent Spenco insole for them and eventually re-fit them with Cat's Paws or Vibram.

fjdauq.jpg,

ah we're back on track! Redwing GTs always look pretty good. I've been tempted by them in the past but never bought any.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is the thick black rubber heel. I prefer a heel of leather layers or even the indy paper layers. I guess it would be easy and relatively inexpensive to change this. If anyone wanted to sell a pair of US9s I'd probably go for them. Greg, I assume yours are 9.5?

Nice kitchen Frideswide!

ah we're back on track! Redwing GTs always look pretty good. I've been tempted by them in the past but never bought any.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is the thick black rubber heel. I prefer a heel of leather layers or even the indy paper layers. I guess it would be easy and relatively inexpensive to change this. If anyone wanted to sell a pair of US9s I'd probably go for them. Greg, I assume yours are 9.5?

The heel is no problem, any cobbler can build a new one up any way you want. And you don't have to change the midsole. These boots are a great canvas upon which to paint your custom work! Yes, mine are 9.5. Worn only like 5 times. They are really too narow for me. They even have some unpadded leather Tacco insoles. I put t tongue pad on too since the laces were binding the front of my ankle. The sole and upper are in very good condition. $125 + shipping!

bargain price but unfortunately too big for me. Incidently I think I need to get rid of my 875s they are a 9.5 and are well broken in, but I decided they are too big. I guess I need a replacement for those!

I rather like these:

redwing.a1.jpg

bargain price but unfortunately too big for me. Incidently I think I need to get rid of my 875s they are a 9.5 and are well broken in, but I decided they are too big. I guess I need a replacement for those!

I rather like these:

redwing.a1.jpg

those are rather nice, fre$co...

...on a similar note, ordered these and they're on the way:

img10582410203.jpeg

I rather like these:

redwing.a1.jpg

I've got a pair of these... really great color. Very Brick red. They feel just like the 875's in terms of sizing and footfeel. Model is 8166 I think. The leather not as oily feeling out of the box as the 875's, nor is it the shiny chromexel type leather used in the 8130's. It has a matte, and almost slightly dry feel to it. Mine were NOS from before the model was moved to Jp release. They have the green Irish Setter Tag's on the toungue.

I rather like these:

redwing.a1.jpg

I've got a pair of these... really great color. Very Brick red. They feel just like the 875's in terms of sizing and footfeel. Model is 8166 I think. The leather not as oily feeling out of the box as the 875's, nor is it the shiny chromexel type leather used in the 8130's. It has a matte, and almost slightly dry feel to it. Mine were NOS from before the model was moved to Jp release. They have the green Irish Setter Tag's on the toungue.

Anyone know what size Spenco insoles should I purchase for a size 9 Red Wing 1914? And, which Spenco insole? Thanks.

...just picked up a pair of spenco gel insoles for my size 9 8165's... same ones i use for my lone wolf cat's paws...

got em in a #3 (men's 8-9)...

I rather like these:

redwing.a1.jpg

this makes me hungry in that it reminds me of a hot dog with mustard on it.

been searching endlessly throughout the internet but im unable to find anywhere that retails the c&j skyes that a few of you own.. any help would be appreciated.

you can order them directly from crockett and jones mailorder

just order their mailorder catalog and send the order form back

skyes cost 315 pound

jan

Hello, shoe masters! I've been a long-time follower of this thread, and decided to stop lurking and ask a question.

I've got a pair of RW GTs in black cherry that are a couple of months old now and nicely broken in. I haven't used anything on the leather yet, and the shoes have picked up some mild scuffing. They still look great, but I know that I need to think about leather care to keep them looking good down the line.

For those out there with the same boots, what regimen do you use to take care of them? I've used Sno-Seal and Obenauf's on other work boots in the past, but those seem to change the character of the leather and I don't know what they'd do to the GTs.

I'd be grateful to hear your collective wisdom about this. What do you use on the uppers? What about the welt and the leather sole? Thanks in advance!