Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Hey Denim Phenom,

The type of belt you're looking for may be a thicker-style belt to match with jeans, but alden does make a dress belt in the same snuff suede leather as your indies...

Check out the Alden website under catalogs:belts, and you can see the belt I'm talkin about.

http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_acc_10.htm

This, maybe? Robert Talbert calf nubuck $135. For me, it'd be this one over the Alden. But I plan on dropping in to Jean Shop to see what they might have. Something a little less dressy and more rock 'n roll, especially with denim. But if not, the Talbert will do nicely.

1717lrg.jpg

update on my brown semidress and introduction of my newly acquired black/brown semidress:

IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

thought it might be cool to do a little comparison. thanks again, rawhide. :)

Damn... I really would like a pair of single leather sole all black semi-dress :eek:

keep in mind that pretty much any leather place could make you that belt for probably 30 bucks. The only thing fancy on it are the holes....

Just ask for the thickest Harness leather they have.

This, maybe? Robert Talbert calf nubuck $135. For me, it'd be this one over the Alden. But I plan on dropping in to Jean Shop to see what they might have. Something a little less dressy and more rock 'n roll, especially with denim. But if not, the Talbert will do nicely.

1717lrg.jpg

I saw that belt on Alden but it doesn't really look like something i'd wear. It would be the perfect belt because it's made of the same material as the shoes.

I'll have to check out the Talbert belt when i'm not at work because the pictures aren't showing up here.

I'd like to find a local leathermen but here on Hawaii things are very limited.

keep in mind that pretty much any leather place could make you that belt for probably 30 bucks. The only thing fancy on it are the holes....

Just ask for the thickest Harness leather they have.

I wouldn't entirely agree with that statement. I's similar to saying Alden wingtips are the same as Edward Greens or samurai jeans are the same as APC. They are of course not.

Leather is available in many different qualities as are belt buckles, be they solid brass, silver, nickel plated or base metal. Of course the samurai belts are expensive as are all denimz imported from Japan.

Sorry guys but I'm gonna interrupt this great discussion with a question. Does anyone have any experience with CO-OP Barneys boots? I'm looking at these combat boots on sale and they fit my needs but I don't want them to fall apart after 2 weeks of walking in nyc. I know they are made in Italy but not much more. Any input would be appreciated.

coopjp0.jpg

coop1qy4.jpg

I have a pair of CO-OP boots from a few years ago (tan suede lace ups). I can only say good things about them and the fit and construction of them is on pare with Buttero and NDC boots I have that were made in Italy. I know the CO-OP boots are cheap compared to other brands they sell, but they hold up just as well.

I've actually heard more complaints about the Officine Creative boots Barney's had last fall and spring. Seems they fell apart after a few wears.

Hope that helps Mike.

Thanks. They have my size and they are only $130 so I think I'm going to get them.

When I bought mine they were marked down like that also. I didn't know it and was shocked when I checked out and the guy said "that will be $129.00". I paid fast and got out of there because I was sure he made a mistake.

:)

It's actually Robert Talbott, in case you want to hunt that belt down. Muh bad.

I found the belt but it still seemed a little too dressy for me. I'm looking for something that is more like the sugar cane harness belts. I'll just search around rakuten to find one.

Hey guys, I'm having some issues on getting the sizing right for some new Alden Indys. I wear a 9 on vans and 9 on chucks, also wear a 9.5 D on Red Wing Gentleman Traveler's. Should I just go with what I wear in Red Wings?

I wear a 9 1/2 in Vans, 9 in Converse, 9D in 405s and an 8 1/2 in the Ultimate Indys. I'm surprised that you went up a size with your Red Wings. From my experience, boots fit a 1/2 size smaller.

I wear a 9 1/2 in Vans, 9 in Converse, 9D in 405s and an 8 1/2 in the Ultimate Indys. I'm surprised that you went up a size with your Red Wings. From my experience, boots fit a 1/2 size smaller.

I have 9.5s in both Red Wings and Indies. The length in both is fine. The Indies fit much better, but because they're wider EEE and the RWs are D.

Hey guys. These are the boots Ive been wearing for the last few months. Don't know much about about them, friend gifted. Says made in Australia on the sole, maybe ex-army? They were much lighter tan when I first got them, then used Kiwi mid tan....which was way darker than expected. This is the second shine up, kinda lazy with the boot care. The fit is good and comfortable and all, but kind of dislike the heavy rubber sole.

b1lt4.jpg

b2kr2.jpg

hey guys,

wanted to know what brand of wax or spray you'd recommend to waterproof a new pair of calfskin leather AEs. I was thinking of getting the AE brand aqua care cream. these are to be used in the office, and therefore i'm leaning towards a spray since they're supposedly less noticeable on the shoes. of course, longevity of the shoe is of the utmost importance.

My grandpa was wearing these shoes and I really couldnt get a close look at them and + this photo is a candid shot. Hes really grumpy and moody, not someone you want to question...

IMG_0382.jpg

Are they anything interesting or just cheap outlet shoes?

They certainly appear cordovan in color, but it looks like there is some fine creasing on the right foot above the toe cap, enough to make me think they're just cordovan colored, and not the thing itself. Also- the solid rubber heel makes me think they aren't too expensive, but it's possible, especially if they were slightly older . . . I know some good quality shoes form the 60s and 70s had solid heels. Either way, I think they look great.

they look like cordovans to me.. and looks like some expensive custom made pair to me +rep to you grandpa!

Wow, seems spot on. It is good to know that all that money you blow on boots/shoes has helped you gain some knowledge. (10 just in case it wasn't obvious)

I wouldn't entirely agree with that statement. I's similar to saying Alden wingtips are the same as Edward Greens or samurai jeans are the same as APC. They are of course not.

Leather is available in many different qualities as are belt buckles, be they solid brass, silver, nickel plated or base metal. Of course the samurai belts are expensive as are all denimz imported from Japan.

Check out Leather Goods Connection at http://www.leathergoodsconnection.com/

I just got one of their harness belts and I'm impressed. The leather is very high quality, and the price is great. Plus there's lots of room for customization. The only issue is he doesn't have the kind of buckles you see on a lot of the good Japanese belts. Do a search here and on Styleforum because there's lots of feedback on him.