Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I will echo some of the other comments, if you guys don't have at least a somewhat clear idea of what you want, something which is not otherwise available, then this project is almost pointless. The Styleforum boot came about because someone wanted a plain toe boot with a medallion - this was not something you could get. I have no desire to get a meaningless, more expensive Alden shoe where the main difference is blind lace holes and a printed logo.

Every permutation that I would want is pretty much available, including this:

http://riderboot.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/21-aug-08-017.jpg?w=509&h=580

Actually the boot that I was looking for in the first place was the first SF x LS boot that I posted a couple pages back but after talking with Tom, through Email, I found out that it's not really possible for him to do another run on that boot so I figured that I should just throw some ideas at the wall and see what might sound like a good idea by everybody on here and not just a few...See if maybe some people on this thread could find a nice healthy middle ground for a boot that all of us could accept...Since apparently I may be one of the people who are not very knowing when it comes to Aldens then I will just bow out at this point and let the other Alden fans on this board tell me what I should like since again I know nothing about Alden's...

Not directing that comment at the quote above just in general from some PM's and comments that have been made to me and in some form or another directed towords me in this thread....It appears as though since I have only been REGISTERED here for a short time I don't get an input...Which is fine...I trust that the fine people of this forum will make a great boot...I just hope it's not 5 years from now...

That being said Tom I'm sure that whatever boot you choose to produce with the members of this forum will turn out to be just as great as the last pair and I will for sure be interested in purchasing a pair simply because it will have been created through help from the fellow fans of the Alden Brand that reside in these 500 pages...Like I said above, I trust the people in this forum to make a great boot...

Now concerning that Plain Toe Plaza you mentioned a few post's up if it's in a #8 Shell then put me down for a pair now...

What US size would you say these Trickers fit like? Do you have any experience with Tricker's boots? I'm set on ordering some Stows soon from Pediwear and I've basically heard everything from Trickers running one whole size large compared to US to people buying them true to their US size or now larger than US size. I saw David at the factory shop tell someone to size down 1/2 from their US size and that the boots are about 1/2 size larger than that, but I also contacted Trickers directly and they only told me 1/2 size down from US size for the boots. Trying to figure out Trickers sizing has been a mess because there isn't half as much sizing information as say AE, Alden, C&J, etc.

For reference I wear 405s in 11E and RWs in 11 1/2D but Grenson Country boots in 10 1/2G. I've been torn between getting Stows in 10 1/2 and hoping they aren't too narrow or getting 11s and hoping they aren't too long (I really wish the Stows came in the 6 fitting).

I don't have Alden boots (unfortunately) but I do have Redwing and Trickers. English boots are a bit on the wider side in my knowlege. Trickers G/6 width is something like EEE maybe even one more E. I wear size 9US in Redwing and 8UK in Trickers. I'd get Alden 405's in US8.5EEE. Seems like your reasoning is on the same line as mine! :)

I have to agree, Trickers F/6 width is a lot wider than a normal US E. More like a EE or EEE. I wear Alden 405s in 9E (I probably could have gone down a 1/2 size though) and Trickers Stows/Malton in 9 E/5. The last on the Stows are already long for the boot, if you've got wide feet, I'd try to go with a wider fit instead of sizing up. Aldens 405 on the Trubalance last are usually 1/2 size bigger than normal US sizing which would fit with going 1/2 size down from your US size for UK shoes. I wear a 9E in Redwings.

When I think of Aldens on this thread, I think of Chicken rappelling in his 405s and whoever it was who went riding in their Cordovan 405s, then got them stomped on by the horse... somehow it just seems fitting if we can come up with something that embraces those ideals.

Hey that pic of Chicken in his 405's with the Honey Vibram Sole is what first got me really interested in Alden's...I have purchased now 3 pairs since I saw that picture...Just recent I know but everybody has to start somewhere...

I recently had the local guy put on some Topy's on my Stows so that I won't die next time I walk on wet tiles, slate or carpet. And they weren't cheap. $40 for the pair. It's pretty much the same with every other cobbler. $40-$50. 5 years ago I had a pair of RM Williams Topy'ed for $20. Things have definitely changed. Cream Topys to match the leather underneath.

trick11.jpg

topy02.jpg

Originally:

trick02.jpg

When I think of Aldens on this thread, I think of Chicken rappelling in his 405s and whoever it was who went riding in their Cordovan 405s, then got them stomped on by the horse... somehow it just seems fitting if we can come up with something that embraces those ideals.

I agree with this whole heartedly...afterall, technically speaking, this would be a Superdenim boot so I would hope it would be a boot that invited being treated similar to "project denim".

Not directing that comment at the quote above just in general from some PM's and comments that have been made to me and in some form or another directed towords me in this thread....It appears as though since I have only been REGISTERED here for a short time I don't get an input...Which is fine...I trust that the fine people of this forum will make a great boot...I just hope it's not 5 years from now...

That being said Tom I'm sure that whatever boot you choose to produce with the members of this forum will turn out to be just as great as the last pair and I will for sure be interested in purchasing a pair simply because it will have been created through help from the fellow fans of the Alden Brand that reside in these 500 pages...Like I said above, I trust the people in this forum to make a great boot...

I had hoped my going off wouldn't be misinterpreted as not welcoming everyones input...I just went crazy over the comment (not yours) that was something to the effect of..."I've never owned Alden before...but we should do this last, this toe and, blind eyelets all the way up"...or whatever it was. I also didn't mean that owning Alden's is a prerequisite to contributing to the formulation of a forum boot...that comment just seemed to betray that the poster lacked some fundamental knowledge about Alden, and also...about this thread. Its awesome to have newer people or long time lurkers involved, but for me at least, its also important for any boot that is going to be connected to this thread to posses a thematic unity with the entirety of the thread.

That being said, the second coolest part about this thread is that it genuinely is the friendliest place on Superfuture, and in my experience, the internet, and hopefully my cranky response earlier isn't reflective of a change in that regard. I first posted here on page 28 and a few days later I ordered 405s...my first serious pieces of footwear. Those boots are at Alden right now for their first restoration job, and I have learned a hell of a lot over the last 500 pages...hopefully this place is still as interesting and un-intimidating as it was when I first started reading. Welcome!

Some evo shots of my AoC Fan Indy's and my White's SD. Summer is coming on. Spending most of my time in sandals/flipflops (thongs in the local lingo).

whites01-1.jpg

What color are those...the evolution is starting to look very beatiful and unique. My guess is Semi Dress Brown, but polished with Cordovan polish....either way they look great.

Hey that pic of Chicken in his 405's with the Honey Vibram Sole is what first got me really interested in Alden's...I have purchased now 3 pairs since I saw that picture...Just recent I know but everybody has to start somewhere...

Looks like you have the sickness....now post pictures of your beauties and contribute to the emptying out of some other poor soul's wallet.

For reference I wear 405s in 11E and RWs in 11 1/2D but Grenson Country boots in 10 1/2G. I've been torn between getting Stows in 10 1/2 and hoping they aren't too narrow or getting 11s and hoping they aren't too long (I really wish the Stows came in the 6 fitting).

Alden 405s US12 A/C, Redwing GTs US11 D, Trickers Lambourn UK(?) 11.5 S

I agree with this whole heartedly...afterall, technically speaking, this would be a Superdenim boot so I would hope it would be a boot that invited being treated similar to "project denim".

I had hoped my going off wouldn't be misinterpreted as not welcoming everyones input...I just went crazy over the comment (not yours) that was something to the effect of..."I've never owned Alden before...but we should do this last, this toe and, blind eyelets all the way up"...or whatever it was. I also didn't mean that owning Alden's is a prerequisite to contributing to the formulation of a forum boot...that comment just seemed to betray that the poster lacked some fundamental knowledge about Alden, and also...about this thread. Its awesome to have newer people or long time lurkers involved, but for me at least, its also important for any boot that is going to be connected to this thread to posses a thematic unity with the entirety of the thread.

That being said, the second coolest part about this thread is that it genuinely is the friendliest place on Superfuture, and in my experience, the internet, and hopefully my cranky response earlier isn't reflective of a change in that regard. I first posted here on page 28 and a few days later I ordered 405s...my first serious pieces of footwear. Those boots are at Alden right now for their first restoration job, and I have learned a hell of a lot over the last 500 pages...hopefully this place is still as interesting and un-intimidating as it was when I first started reading. Welcome!

100% no it wasen't your post trust me...It's just i got a couple PM's that were a little negative and basically it was because I'm new here...I'll break it down for the people that did PM me and for the ones who think people who just registered here should have no input...It's this thread that got me interested in this forum in the first place and it's this thread that finally got me to register on this forum...It's over though and not worth dragging out so I prefer to just let it go at that...

I have a madd ;) amount of respect for you making that post though tmadd...Very upstanding of you friend and don't think it's not appreciated because it is very much...

Like I said though it's done and over with so let's just let it go and get back to the topic at hand which is a SF x LS Boot that we can get our hands on as soon as possible

I asked Tom if I could design the special SuFu X LeatherSoul heel pad for the boot and he said ok.

: ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] oh happy day

Well at least we have one detail of the boot farily ironed out right...?mark is designing the heel pad and congrats on that sir...Now if the rest of the boot would be as easy to get going so we can actually get our hands on them and our feet in them it would be a great thing....

I think something like this would be perfect for a LSxSufu boot. The split toe is unique and has a history. No weird chisel toe last (apologies to those who like it), 360 welt, speed hooks and metal eyelets, and the pull tab give a cool workwear aesthetic.

so here's what I came away with after my chat to Nate Humble:

3033013891_0b1c5a13d4.jpg

3033013981_eeb9573950.jpg

3033855082_644a15fdc9.jpg

3033014173_5bedb43915.jpg

3033855296_e388bd9bf3.jpg

Norwegian toe boot on the Barrie Last, in #8 Cordovan, full reverse welt, eyelets and speedhooks, leather heel tab, commando sole. I really think they;'re beautiful:)

Nate told me that this toe design was first created by a Norwegian shoemaker working in London (I don;t know when), and it had all but disappeared until Alden started reproducing it. This boot is exclusive to Tassels in Hong Kong. The twin stitching is just decorative- it's not a seam or anything, but it does have the effect of making the toe box seem more angular (straight sides/flat top). I went to the movies last night wearing them, and spent half the time watching the relflected light from the screen bouncing off the flat top surface of the cordovan:rolleyes: (I think I need help).

One thing that I forgot to mention in my previous post. I know Edmond, I, and some other people have been concerned about the corner of the quarters of our Alden boots coming unstitched (it's happened slightly on my AF53s). I asked Nate about this, and here's how he explained it: Alden make their shoes in batches of 12 pairs, and each batch isn't necessarily the same leather/design. That particular spot on a shoe/boot made from heavier leather (ie cordovan) can get very thick, and needs a different tension on the sewing machine from the rest of the shoe. If they don;t change the tension then the threads can snap.

He's had this mentioned to him a few times, and they;'re now making sure they adjust the tension with every new leather, but if we have a pair where this hasnt been accounted for and it breaks, he said we should return it to the shop (in my case Adam at AofC) for an Alden repair. Personally I'm still not sure I'll bother, altough I might email Adam to see what he says. It seems like a pretty minor thing, and unless Alden are prepared to pay shipping from UK to US then it would be much cheaper for me to take it down to a local cobbler (I've been quioted 5pounds from a good place).

cloudhands i like this idea. I was just doing some googling and searching through this forum again (i've probably been lurking around back and forth through this whole thing or quite some time now) and i think this norwegian idea would bring a nice unique feature to this customized boot. I especially like the idea of the pull tab.

Again, i have to give props up to the people on this thread. I have learned alot from you guys and most importantly there is no animosity. Let's get the details of this legendary boot nailed out!

Hey all this is my first post on here so please take it easy on the newb...

I have 3 pairs of Alden 405's right now...

I do have another pair of 405's on order through Alden right now with a Burnished Tan leather and they should be here around April or so...Cannot wait for those to get in...

I'm also looking for a pair of Cordovan boots and am really starting to consider purchasing a pair of AF43's in Black Cordovan or a pair of #8 AF79's...I'm favoring the 43's right now because I have no idea how the Leydon Last of the 79's will work on my foot as I'm used to the fit of the Trubalance Last...

This is my newest pair...Dark Brown Calf Leather...Dark Brown Welt...Dark Brown Moc Toe and Welt Stitching...and Leather Lining on the Tongue...

341361461.jpg

Here is my second oldest pair that I have had for about 8 months or so...I treated these with Pecard's Leather Dressing and Johnston & Murphy Natural Shoe Cream to give them their color...(The pair I'm not Wearing in this picture)...

320304947.jpg

This is my oldest pair at about a year old now...I have done nothing to treat these and they have been worn on just about every occasion I can think of from weddings to hiking trips in the mountains...This picture is about 5 months old now and they are in need of new heels...I have no idea what kind I'm going to get put on but it's going to be real soon I can tell you that much...

319029417.jpg

tmadd...I got you from a few pages back...Maybe I'm telapathic or something like that and was able to read your mind before you even typed that...........................

Prob not though...That split toe is kinda nice and it would give off the same vibes and the beloved "Indy" 405's would....:cool:

Since last night, I refrained from posting because I wanted to see what other people wanted to say in regards to a SuFu x LS Alden. There has been some good suggestions definitely, as well as some input that I don't really agree with, but that's just me.

When I think of Sufu, immediately one of the things I associate with the forum is denim, so a rugged, heavy work boot would go better with dry denim than say, a sleek boot on the plaza last. The more I think about it, the more I can see how the two objects vibe with each other. The problem with this idea is that Alden already has tons of designs for work boots, and they are all very handsome. How would one design something that would be unique and better? In fact I would go so far as to say that making a run of the NST high boot shown above, which is an absolute beauty (but already exists), and slapping a Sufu heel pad, is less interesting than making the plain toe Plaza last shoe, which as of yet does not exist.

As for the vintage Alden model idea, that is a great idea. However from shopping for Aldens for the last 2 years, I've come to the conclusion that there really isn't any real visible changes to the design of Alden shoes in their history. The only thing I see more of in older Aldens is pebbled grain leather, and I am not really interested in that at the moment. Here is a link I found of a japanese site selling older Aldens:

http://www.vogue-trading.com/otherbrands_list_shoes.html

Though I am not sure of the age of the shoes displayed, they all look like pretty much standard models with a more bulbous toe.

Now while my personal preference is for a sleeker dress boot, it seems like that is not popular here so I'll be sure to save up and search for that on my own. And I will proudly admit that I would rather own Alden shell cordovan dress boots than EG or Lobb anyday. Again, it's my personal preference.

Before I leave the discussion and design process for good, here are a few more Alden boots which are RARE and I think very handsome. Maybe something can be made to resemble these, I don't know. (most of the picture from the LS website)

1) Shell cordovan shoes with an U front:

aldencu.jpg

which are on a Leydon last. I'd like to think of them as NST without the middle stitching. However when you make them into a boot, they become the:

aldencindy.jpg

Alden Indy. So perhaps a high, shell Indy boot, on a Leydon Last? That one of my ideas.

2) These are 1950's Alden inspired split toe:

al.jpg

And how it would look in #8 here:

aldenpla.jpg

Would these look good in a high boot? Maybe too dressy?

Lastly there are these which I actually saw at Moulded Shoe and considered buying:

aldenhyr.jpg

The thick white soles are Alden soles and could be added to any Alden model according to Moulded Shoe, and thus I have no reason to believe why Alden can't add it themselves in a custom boot. Anyways sorry for the long post. I'll be sure to follow this thread closely to see what more ideas you guys come up with. Cheers.

Sorry to offend. It seems you were referencing one of my posts. Yes, I was giving my opinion on what I'd like to see in a boot. Many of those opinions are shared by some of the regular posters here as well. I was just looking for a boot that fills a gap among my Aldens. I do know the LS options, and I got the Indy in #8 a while back. Anyway, I'm new at this so I apologize for any faux pax that I may have committed. I do respect the regular posters on this thread and I have always enjoyed your posts in particular, literally going back hundreds of pages. Anyway, I've been following this thread for the past couple of years and have read every page. Only recently have I ventured to make a post as it really is a friendly and helpful place. I hope to make more posts in the future, hopefully without sounding too tin-headed. Cheers.

Since we can all agree that we wan't something out of the ordinary from Alden how about something in a two tone boot?...

Clearly Alden has the capability as these were a nice design...

ALD_m_SADDLE_OXFORD_CALFSKIN_9942.jpg

check out these bad boys from the website miniw posted

l-alden_4564h_laceup_plaintoe_ravel.jpg

http://www.vogue-trading.com/otherbrands_list_shoes.html

could be some inspiration...

Are these on the Mod Last?...It's hard to tell from that angle...

^^Those are dope.

MiniW, I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. To me, even though the NST high boots have been done before (albeit exclusively available to one store in Hong Kong), they are still unique. Shell Indys on a Leydon last look very similar to the other shell Indys that LS is building right now for a group of Sufuers (am I right about that?), with a slightly different sole shape. Same with plain toe plaza last high boots. Technically that combination may not have been done by Alden before, they don't have a unique look. The other shoes you posted, while beautiful, do not seem like Sufu to me. More like a guy who wears a $5k suit.

The boots with big soles are intriguing to me but I doubt they would have a wide enough appeal to build a group order.

haha, yes those plain toe boots from the site caught my eye too, but unfortunately they are cigar shell (strike 1) and appear to be modified last (strike 2). Cloudhands69, do you have any more info about the shell indy boot that is being built for a group of sufu'ers. Are they on the tru-balance last? I don't think I will be able to put in an order since I just bought a pair of the regular Indy online, and I am not even sure if they'll fit right. They are all sold out of narrow sizes in the two stores I went to, so I had to take a chance online. Anyways, I am still curious as to what I may be missing out on this shipment.

Lastly, Tom, don't keep your ideas too secret, I hope you'll let us know what your designed Indy's are and give us a good shot to pre-order a pair as soon as you are ready to reveal them. I can't wait to see what they look like!

Norwegian Split Toe High Boots have also been done by Leather Soul:

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/2007/11/13/alden-shoes-the-hawaiian-tanker/

The most interesting, but still relatively standard boot to me right now, would be a straight perf cap toe...kind of a Corcoran homage. However, this is only theoretical, as I have never seen such a thing from Alden in a boot, and whether or not it would look "right" would be largely dependent on the shape of the last and how big the actual "cap" was.

However, I really think that the vintage angle is worth pursuing if we can get any information to base it off of...I am also inclined to believe (perhaps incorrectly) that we stand a greater chance of getting Alden to do something fairly unique if it is a reissue/reproduction of something they used to do than if we just came at them with a ridiculous design. Alden has been around a long time and though its pretty hard to find anything about it on the net, I have been shown and told me things that give me reason to believe there is a wide array of boots in their archive that would be very appealing to the sensibilities of this forum.

Lastly, Tom, don't keep your ideas too secret, I hope you'll let us know what your designed Indy's are and give us a good shot to pre-order a pair as soon as you are ready to reveal them. I can't wait to see what they look like!

Ditto on that Tom...If your planning something let some of us who don't wear a standard D Width in on the fun so we can get an order placed as well........

Norwegian Split Toe High Boots have also been done by Leather Soul:

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/2007/11/13/alden-shoes-the-hawaiian-tanker/

dammit:mad::D they told me it was an exclusive! well the Tassels version has the heel tab... on Leather Soul it says this boot was their fastest-ever to sell out:cool:

Talking about reissuing an old Alden style, Nate Humble showed me an old catalogue, which had one of their very earliest boots in it. He didn;t have copies, but from memory it was a plain cap-toe boot with a leather soul, all eyelets, and a heel tab, in black kid skin. just to throw another idea onto the table... Nate said that they are making something similar for Japan, so presumably kid skin is still available. Personally I'd be in for this, but it would be a totally different propostion to cordovan, which it looks like is the only thing everyone can agree on:D

Seriously though, even if that doesn;t sound interesting, it might be worth someone trying to get in touch with Alden directly for scans of old catalogues...

http://www.beams.co.jp/beams_e/html/topics_0802.php

Does anybody know what type of last the "Military Last" is that was used on one of the pairs on this page? It lookes to be a bit intersting...Plus as Bill was just stating this pair has Eyelets all the way up and no speed lace hooks...This could be a nice look....

0122alden1_l.jpg

Alden has also made military boots in the distant past, no? I wouldn't mind a cap-toe service shoe type thing... Barrie last (or whatever Alden's "Military last" is), cap-toe, all eyelets... the WWII Impressions boots are breaking my feet in at the moment...