Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Excuse the bad gash on the toe. I do wear these M-F since december.

Bates 922 with full color reflection in the shine and hardly any visible pores (I get too bored to finish them sometimes). Enjoy.

922s.jpg

I don't see the gash, but maybe it's jus the glare from the super shine. Before we switched from black boots to desert boots in the Marines, I used to spit shine my boots like it was no ones business. Whenever I got a gash, I'd apply enough crazy glue to lay the leather back down nice and flat then give it a light sanding with a fine grit then apply more polish/spit shine.

You want to get rid of the old layers of polish first, though by using shaving cream and steel wool. Once that's all stripped, let dry and apply polish and buff. I'd then start spit shining the entire boot. I would only do the toes when I was feeling lazy. It would take at least five coats before I started getting a decent shine. After that, they got only one layer of shine after work in perparation for the next day. I would do this for a few weeks/month before stripping them and starting over...or when the polish started to flake really bad.

Oh the good ol' days...

You want to get rid of the old layers of polish first, though by using shaving cream and steel wool. Once that's all stripped, let dry and apply polish and buff. I'd then start spit shining the entire boot. I would only do the toes when I was feeling lazy. It would take at least five coats before I started getting a decent shine. After that, they got only one layer of shine after work in perparation for the next day. I would do this for a few weeks/month before stripping them and starting over...or when the polish started to flake really bad.

Oh the good ol' days...

We just paint over dust in the Navy brother hahaha

Dayton boots look pretty close to that, and prob more solid build quality too. You have to email them to buy from them.

hmm.. looked through the website. dont see any models that look similar.

Is it some thing off the catalogue?

And the yuketen.. it looks nice... but pity not my size :(

In fact, i was thinking if the white's semi dress will look something like that.. or im just cheating myself thinking it looks similar..

Finally got the resoled veldtschoen boots back, ended up with a nicely matched brown commando sole. Better pics to come:

scaled.php?server=594&filename=dscf3756o.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=831&filename=dscf3757s.jpg&res=medium

Sent the boots off via the local C&J shop - they use a fella down in Finchley, on the High Street (Kokos - 020 8883 0876).

And ('new' shoe spoiler alert!), a pretty unworn pair of Lotus shoes, built on a different last to the other, worn pair posted recently. Marked 71/02 (date of manufacture?) and a noticeably roomy size 11 - the others are a small 10.5.

scaled.php?server=838&filename=dscf3761y.jpg&res=medium

Hypothetical before and after; didn't expect to ever find a pair in such good shape:

scaled.php?server=217&filename=dscf3763n.jpg&res=medium

For those on the fence - I've been advocating the importance of purchasing these boots for some time now as there's no telling when production will discontinued. It sounds like that time has come. You can buy two or three average pairs of Engineer Boots for the price of one of these, but which would you be most proud to own?

I scrolled back a lot of pages and read somewhere at sometime you were NOT into these boots at all. I love that you are so into them and such a big contributer of info on them. It just goes to show how good they are in person!

Totally...they are night and day between photos and in person. Once you handle them, the quality and style are clearly top notch. No joke, but I am seriously tempted to purchase another pair just to store away for future use.

maybe that's what I'm having trouble with. I've not held them in person. Just by going by photos, they look "off" to me.

Not trying to hate on them, I guess I need to see these in person.