Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

The cream-coloured rubber on many of the 1964s' colourways (not the green ones you posted, thankfully) is in the same area that is bright white on standard Caribous. I suspect that it is to give it the appearance of an aged, 'vintage' boot.

Adidas has been doing this for several years - you can now buy shelltoes that already have the slightly yellowed rubber that they tend to get with use, eg:

adidas-superstar-1.jpg

This is the first time i'm seeing olive oil recommended for leather, but I've read and I've been using warmed coconut oil for my GTs. I recall something about high concentration of chained or un-chained triglycerides and being highly stable. So far, so good.

Any thoughts?

Without getting to deep over my head I believe it has to do with concentration of saturated fats. The lower the amount the less stable the higher the amount the less likelihood to go bad. Coconut oil has a very high saturated fat content so would probably be fine.

Can anyone provide insite on how Wolverine 1000 mile boots fit with regard to smaller, larger or true to size? I'm digging the new Addison's and would like to place an order for the right size when they are available.

Cheers!

Edit: Crap!!! "Fall 2010" I'll be in a combat zone by then...

I'm pretty sure the only boot out of the line that is made in the US this past season was the 1000 mile boot. The rest of the boots in the line were made in china, and were not made with horween chromexcel leather. At least this was my understanding.

not sure if they're going to look good with age, but they sure fair nice from the start.

s-LoneWolfTAG.jpg

S-LoneW3612.jpg

s-LoneWolfx.jpg

i was gonna chuck the tongue guard, but seemed such a waste of good leather . i can understand how they might look a bit odd and mawkish to a lot of ppl... even cartoonish, in a "pokemon" kinda way. i srsly find them quirky and unusual. i guess, thumbing through "Lightning" & "Free&Easy" @Kinukuniya is starting to filter in.

i can always take the guard off when i'm tired with them, but for now ... i'll rock 'em proudly :D

these are pretty sweet :

Alden_RavCord_Hunting_Boot.jpg

from Tassels HK

- TASSELS MTO Grade by Alden

- They are the BEST executed MTO by Alden for TASSELS so far, par excellence! We all went speechless, when they were unpacked from the shoe box...

- This amazing Ravello Cordovan is reckoned to be the rarest Shell from Alden Shoe Company.

- Unbelievably well-balanced in colour, tone and shade. Excellent in leather density and smells real nice :-)

- Comfortable Barrie Last with a less formal open-lacing look and feel

- Flex welt system (weather proof flexible oiled sole)

- Speed Hooks Eyelets System

not sure if they're going to look good with age, but they sure fair nice from the start.

s-LoneWolfTAG.jpg

S-LoneW3612.jpg

s-LoneWolfx.jpg

i was gonna chuck the tongue guard, but seemed such a waste of good leather . i can understand how they might look a bit odd and mawkish to a lot of ppl... even cartoonish, in a "pokemon" kinda way. i srsly find them quirky and unusual. i guess, thumbing through "Lightning" & "Free&Easy" @Kinukuniya is starting to filter in.

i can always take the guard off when i'm tired with them, but for now ... i'll rock 'em proudly :D

did you size em right? how come it looks too tight on the "ball" area? ( lace area)

I just happened across this article by accident. Nice stories about current quality cobblers in L.A. Note that #3 has a supply of Cat's Paw heels!!!

http://www.latimes.com/features/image/la-ig-repair24-2010jan24,0,3988524.story

I'd copy the whole article, but me thinks there are copy-right issues. Anyway, the link has a few interesting images.

Cheers!

The fact that the 1000 mile retails at almost $100 more than the other styles in that line should tip people off that something's fishy.

That's horse manure!!

Hey, let's advertise our flagship 1000 mile boot as made in the US, but not advertise the other lines as non-US. Outsourcing just to make that extra buck - that's nonsense...but true of all things we purchase.

I just happened across this article by accident. Nice stories about current quality cobblers in L.A. Note that #3 has a supply of Cat's Paw heels!!!

http://www.latimes.com/features/image/la-ig-repair24-2010jan24,0,3988524.story

I'd copy the whole article, but me thinks there are copy-right issues. Anyway, the link has a few interesting images.

Cheers!

Eddie's shoe service was where I got my cat's paws put on my Indys. Good service and a pretty fast turn around. 4 days or so.

Everyinch -

I think you definitely made the right choice. I own both a pair of Docs (Weston 7) and a pair of Red WIngs (Iron Rangers 8111) - and the quality of the Red Wings just blows my mind. I do love the Westons, but I think I am now a RW fan for life. Now to start saving up for a pair of the Cigar Beckmans and maybe some Lone Wolfs...

- James

info on the engineers?

I need some help choosing a pair of Alden boots. This would be my primary go-to pair of boots (i.e. worn at least 3 times a week) so I want them to be fairly rugged. They won't see too much abuse though so I also don't want something too casual. I'm located in the Pacific Northwest, so the weather is a bit of concern.

I'm considering the following:

Kudu Ultimate Indy

Vintage Indy

Officer's Indy

Straight Tip Boots

Jumper Boots

Questions in my head:

How does the Kudu leather age?

Which leather is more appropriate/requires less maintenance (calf, nubuck or shell cordovan?)

Which sole would be most appropriate for the PNW weather (leather, oiled leather, commando)?

The Indy's are an obvious choice, but I prefer the Cap Toe design. I also prefer the sleekness of the double leather sole or at least something with matching sides, unlike the Indy's. I started looking for something calfskin, but shell cordovan is so seductive...

Opinions?

I don't think I would choose a leather sole for the PNW, too much rain up there if these are going to be your go-to boots. I would choose something with the commando sole or even the traditional neoprene Indy sole. I like the ultimate Indy myself, but those Winn Perry ones look really nice but I assume they have a leather sole.