Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I think the Stow and the Malton are the same, just the Malton feature the Gorse calf, right?

I asked at the Jermyn St showroom and yes, it seems to be only the leather choice (and colours) that differentiate them.

Nice boots!

I love my Stows... I didn't find the Stow large compared to standard UK sizes, they were certainly slightly smaller than the Grifter's brogue dealer.

beautiful, but isnt the stow and malton the same last? and from the pics, is it true that the leather on the stow are shinier than the malton. I like the malton more....can u describe the texture of the leather on the malton please?
I think the Stow and the Malton are the same, just the Malton feature the Gorse calf, right?
I asked at the Jermyn St showroom and yes, it seems to be only the leather choice (and colours) that differentiate them.

Nice boots!

I love my Stows... I didn't find the Stow large compared to standard UK sizes, they were certainly slightly smaller than the Grifter's brogue dealer.

When I bought them, I was told that they are basically the same boot with different leather. The Gorse leather used on the Malton feels slightly thicker and is not as smooth as the Stow. I think they may have just made the Malton a bit bigger to accomodate that. All I can tell you is how they fit on me. And the Maltons fit a touch longer and wider than the Stows, even though the outsole is exactly the same size. Amazingly well made boots. I got them just after the AUD crashed which was a bummer. The usual size advice for US to UK sizing is 1/2 to 1 down, but I can tell you that a size UK 8 in these boots would be way too small. These actually fit a touch shorter than my Alden Indys in US 9E.

just a bump

?uestionmark and I had a discussion offline and we thought that we would be interested in a plain toe plaza last cigar cordovan boot with natural edge dressing double leather soles and blind eyelets / speed hooks.

I approached Tom at LeatherSoul about doing a custom SuFu makeup. He said that would be happy help us do a custom SuFu makeup, but there are some conditions:

1) Cigar is so low in supply, he cannot guarantee a completion date.

2) He wouldn't require a deposit on sizes within 6-10D, but anything else, he would need a $100 non-refundable deposit.

3) I also assume that as with the StyleForum boot, Tom would have to approve of the design and then of course so would Alden. (There was a small scare regarding Alden's approval of the StyleForum boot.)

While ?uestionmark and I have already discussed some of this offline, we thought it would be good to open it up the discussion to the rest of the thread.

My major preference is to have speed hooks at the top of the boot. I've found that 1) one certainly can't see them once the boot is on and 2) much easier to get in and out of with the hooks.

This inspiration for a special SuFu boot came about from this post: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=1305021&postcount=9303

Have a look at the pictures. It's a very nice boot.

I'm actually surprised a special edition SUFU alden boot has not been discussed until now!

I think since we primarily wear our aldens with denim, a more rugged boot would be the preference? I would like shell over calf, but calf would offer us more options as the more exotic shell colours are in limited supply....

if anyone (in London)'s interested, I was in Crockett & Jones on Jermyn St the other day, and the have a new cordovan boot in. It's stamped Horween, and the colour's called 'Dark Brown'. Looks like Cigar to me!

I can;t find the catalogue, and it doesn;t seem to be online, but it was basically the same idea as a Coniston

item1-58.jpeg

but in dark brown cordovan, and with a double leather sole. From memory, I think it was 385pounds.

I'd definetly be interested in a sufu x Alden boot... In Cigar shell of course! That boot that struck the interest is definetly along the lines of what I would want.

One more up for that!

Maybe there would even be interest in a small scaled kinda contest (just to see how everyone's pair would have evolved after a year or so)

One more up for that!

Maybe there would even be interest in a small scaled kinda contest (just to see how everyone's pair would have evolved after a year or so)

I'm afraid I'm not personally up for another pair of Aldens just yet, but i'd definitely be a keen supporter of a contest. Need something to read with my morning tea at work now dirty dozen +1's finished;)

It's nice how last night's travesty is all gone! I can once again safely browse sufu at work :P

I like the idea of a sufu boot, and agree since most of us seem to wear it with denim, a more rugged boot wouldn't be a bad thing.

But personally I'm waiting to see how Alden responds to me on my irregular Indy boot before I dare buy another Alden shoe.

I picked up these military boots a while ago, but I've barely worn them because of the combat soles. They are stiff and clunky, and I don't really like the all black look. I really like the plain toe, and the overall fit of the boots, so I was thinking about resoling them in a Red Wing GT like way. Opinions? I will document the whole process when and if I end up doing it.

Can anyone decode what is printed on the top of the boots there in the last picture? I'm thinking that 9 is the size, and the "8 - 63" is August of 1963. "GV" may be government??

IMGP0700.jpg

IMGP0695.jpg

IMGP0696.jpg

IMGP0698.jpg

I'd be on board if it were a calf wing-tip boot!

Cigar shell is beautiful but calf would be A) cheaper and B) arrive sooner. I think brouging looks better on calf too...

Alden of Carmel and J. Gilbert Footwear recently made up some calf wingtip boots on the plaza last: http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/Shoes-Plaza_Wing_Tip_Boot_236.htm

The leather is the soft tumbled calfskin and it's on the flex welt.

alden_flex_wingtip_boots_2.jpg

I would probably be in for a sufu x alden deal.

Cigar shell would be the sickness, but I would prefer no brogueing or anything. Like those Esquivel boots Braidkid posted earlier. The simpler cut would show the beauty of cigar shell cordovan better, in my opinion.

Does Alden do Dainite (sp?) soles like the trickers have?

I would probably be in for a sufu x alden deal.

Cigar shell would be the sickness, but I would prefer no brogueing or anything. Like those Esquivel boots Braidkid posted earlier. The simpler cut would show the beauty of cigar shell cordovan better, in my opinion.

Does Alden do Dainite (sp?) soles like the trickers have?

I probably can't swing a cordo sufu x alden boot in these times, but I agree that brogue-ing on cordo just interferes with the natural beauty of cordovan; a plain toe best showcases the horse ass-----you don't want anything to compete with the color of cigar.

Not to be a debbie downer, but I can't imagine that you'd be able to knock much off of the price of cordo... I've found that most cordo shoes maintain just about the same price (probably owing to the fact that it is really only produced in a select few places).

Still, you'd be able to build it to your guys' specs which may be a better deal overall.

if anyone (in London)'s interested, I was in Crockett & Jones on Jermyn St the other day, and the have a new cordovan boot in. It's stamped Horween, and the colour's called 'Dark Brown'. Looks like Cigar to me!

I can;t find the catalogue, and it doesn;t seem to be online, but it was basically the same idea as a Coniston but in dark brown cordovan, and with a double leather sole. From memory, I think it was 385pounds.

Thanks RB. It was called the Harlech and on this page here. I was excited to see it.

candj19.jpg

I'm also excited to see what the SUFUxAlden is gonna look like.

alright so far we agree on a cigar cordovan plain toe. im glad because LS does not usually do mail orders on cigar. here is our chance. turns out we don't have to fly to hawaii.

lets talk about the last. i believe plaza would compliment the cigar's qualities. cigar cordovan is extravagant. a rare commodity even. plaza has almost the same properties. it can hold it up and compliment it at the same time. any sleeker would be obnoxious and any blunter would be wrong in my opinion. besides when is the last time you saw the cigar on a plaza last? that would be a plus for LS.

thoughts?

Thanks RB. It was called the Harlech and on this page here. I was excited to see it.

candj19.jpg

I'm also excited to see what the SUFUxAlden is gonna look like.

Thanks a lot Coleslaw- that;s the one:) , and it looks great!

Is it just me or do C&J's photos really not do them justice? it annoys me how they always take their pictures from above, so you don;t get much of an idea about height, shape or detailing:confused:

edit- other than the plain toe, I think this is pretty close to the boot you guys are talking about from Alden right? I think it;ll be lovely!