Levi's Vintage Clothing

exactly. the 1947 isn't going to provide a slim fit without significant down sizing, and as a result you will end up with significant crotch explosion.

idk, i think going TTS gives a pretty slim fit. i have both 30 & 32, and the 30W is definitely more tight.

i prefer the 32W though.

idk, i think going TTS gives a pretty slim fit. i have both 30 & 32, and the 30W is definitely more tight.

i prefer the 32W though.

you're talking about buying true to size before shrinking? as in your waist measures 33 so you buy a tagged 33? or what?

a lot of this depends on what the pair measured before shrinking. if you got a pair from last year a 33 would measure 32 and you would have a pair of jeans that would already be muffin toppin and might provide a slim fit after shrinking. I'd say that is significant down sizing, like I said in my previous post.

and even if you get a pair that measures your actual size - you measure 33 - the jeans measure 33 : then you would still have a down sized pair and would be quite tight in the waist...and in my book, quite uncomfortable.

I'll be interested to see the results of the Cultizm thread, and see how any 47s look after downsizing. THere' s obviously more of a cult for this now post-Nudes and APC but I'm not convinced; the waist isn't the problem, more the crotch. It's easy to get away with it after a soak, or a handwash, but you can't banish the shrinking forever.

For a skinny 501 the 66 is the best; it's more tapered, and has wider thighs so it is easier to downsize. Plus of course the 505.

quick question:

What is the website people use to purchase their replacement cinchback hardware??

Thanks in advance.

Yep. I received mine a couple of days ago, and have now been wearing my 1915s daily. I had to undo the stitching to get the cinchback in place, and my very kind wife sewed it back in, copying the stitch as well as she could.

These jeans are great- I'm finding that I don't miss wearing a belt, and the denim is unusual. I think it's because it has a familiar purplish cast to it (similar to my 1947 Sugar Canes), but the texture is completely different; it's not hairy at all, and it feels slightly rough and uneven. The denim definitely feels lighter-weight as well. I can also tell that there is shrinkage left in the jeans, but I'll let that happen as the months and years pass.

I'm REALLY enjoying my 15s as well. What replacement buckle did you end up going with?

Yep. I received mine a couple of days ago, and have now been wearing my 1915s daily. I had to undo the stitching to get the cinchback in place, and my very kind wife sewed it back in, copying the stitch as well as she could.

These jeans are great- I'm finding that I don't miss wearing a belt, and the denim is unusual. I think it's because it has a familiar purplish cast to it (similar to my 1947 Sugar Canes), but the texture is completely different; it's not hairy at all, and it feels slightly rough and uneven. The denim definitely feels lighter-weight as well. I can also tell that there is shrinkage left in the jeans, but I'll let that happen as the months and years pass.

I was considering going with the "TWO TINE BRASS

COLORED BUCKLE" but I might try a Utility buckle as well. Thanks

I ordered the two colors of the utility buckle and also the two tine brass colored buckle, expecting to use the two tine one. But it has really thick ends on the tines, so I ended up using the gunmetal utility one. I would suggest ordering several types since the buckles don't cost much compared to the shipping.

I ordered the two colors of the utility buckle and also the two tine brass colored buckle, expecting to use the two tine one. But it has really thick ends on the tines, so I ended up using the gunmetal utility one. I would suggest ordering several types since the buckles don't cost much compared to the shipping.

Er, sorry to be such a nerd, but could you post photos?

And yes, would love to see evo or other shots too, we've seen airfrog's 1915s (where are you allen?) but that's it. I've been in my writing bunker for so long I haven't seen the jeans in the flesh.

Er, sorry to be such a nerd, but could you post photos?

And yes, would love to see evo or other shots too, we've seen airfrog's 1915s (where are you allen?) but that's it. I've been in my writing bunker for so long I haven't seen the jeans in the flesh.

lets see some fit pics too! please?

For a skinny 501 the 66 is the best; it's more tapered, and has wider thighs so it is easier to downsize. Plus of course the 505.

Listen to the Denim Oracle of Greenwich. I didn't think I'd love my 505s as much as I have. The denim (Kalahari, right?) is out. of. sight. I down sized and they've pretty much been a perfect "skinny" jean. I was also surprised how similar the fabric was to my '70s type III. The only down side was the zipper -- it works just fine, however it is different than the other vintage Talon zips I have in my collection. Also, sometimes it's nice to speed through a piss break without the hassle of buttons.

Listen to the Denim Oracle of Greenwich. I didn't think I'd love my 505s as much as I have. The denim (Kalahari, right?) is out. of. sight. I down sized and they've pretty much been a perfect "skinny" jean. I was also surprised how similar the fabric was to my '70s type III. The only down side was the zipper -- it works just fine, however it is different than the other vintage Talon zips I have in my collection. Also, sometimes it's nice to speed through a piss break without the hassle of buttons.

they're Kaihara denim

and I've always found the button fly to be faster, except when buttoning back up. it just rips open and then you can let fly. I don't think I'll ever go back to wearing jeans with a zipper.

the button fly looks cooler open or closed

it fades cooler

it doesn't break

and its really hard to have a problem with your fly being undone.

^Hey, I'll always have button-flys, but a little variety is, as they say, the spice of life.

I suppose. but I hope that my reply didn't come off as an attack on you and your like for zippers, I was just saying how much I like the button fly and why.

^ Oh, no, didn't come off that ways at all....well..... I mean, since this is the Internet and all, maybe we should get all bent over zippers and start insulting each other and threatening and shit?

If you ever show your mug in Utah I will personally hunt you down, kill your dog and wash your jeans....and desecrate your boots....and sell the charred remains for retail value on eBay. Is that more like it?;)

^ Oh, no, didn't come off that ways at all....well..... I mean, since this is the Internet and all, maybe we should get all bent over zippers and start insulting each other and threatening and shit?

If you ever show your mug in Utah I will personally hunt you down, kill your dog and wash your jeans....and desecrate your boots....and sell the charred remains for retail value on eBay. Is that more like it?;)

haha. I like the part about washing your jeans.

but you know...it's hard to tell how something is going to be taken by someone via message board. you can't hear my voice or see my face, and I cant see or hear yours.

LVCs are 40% off at oki-ni at the moment. Use GIFT40 promo code.

wow, that's a pretty good deal. too bad don't need any new jeans for the next 4 years...and they don't have any jeans I want in 34/36.

Yea, but your SUFU persona is pretty laid back. I think even outright aggression would be somewhat tempered by your generally pleasant approach to the board.

thanks.

I suppose. but I hope that my reply didn't come off as an attack on you and your like for zippers, I was just saying how much I like the button fly and why.

i've never been able to wear zipper jeans since watching "there's something about mary"

<shudder>