tate + yoko - the official thread

TATE + YOKO

Im a 9/9.5 in viberg since i tend to wear sizes 10/10.5 in other shoes.

Do they fit narrow or wide (i have wide feet lulz)? Thanks.

Sadly we are sold out of your size! Sorry. In general they fit pretty normally in terms of width. Large lumberjacks can wear these boots then so can you!

@Tate + Yoko,

I returned a pair of NF skinnys for my girlfriend and was interested in an exchange for a pair of the Kam. 20oz. Is this still possible never got an email back, which I can understand considering recent developments. My main question is though, will I still be able to use the 10% for HWC13-15 contestants?

Sure, we'll still give you the 10% discount in this case. Please email [email protected] and he'll sort you out.

Hey all !

My name is Simon and I'm pretty damn excited to announce that I will be helping out on Tate & Yoko part-time from now on. I'm also a, not to Canadian, denim nerd and I'll be happy to help you guys the best way possible here or on [email protected]

Now, what's-up at Tate & Yoko ? Massive update :

- Huge restock on Naked and Famous's most popular styles : Skinny Guy - Black Power-Stretch, Skinny Guy & Weird Guy - Left-Hand Twill and more.

- Working on putting online all the Naked & Famous Spring/Summer 13 Collection. Some styles are already here, Check it out !

- Restock on Momotaro ! ( more to come ).

And for those of you living in the Montreal Area, we are now open Sundays 11-6 !

Cheers !

674c2a.jpg

t7ljjd.jpg

Edited by Tate + Yoko Staff

Hi Everyone,

Have you got a bad case of the Monday blues? Well we most certainly do! So we thought we'd share some fades with y'all!

Check out this beautifully faded pair of Naked and Famous Skinny Guy Natural Indigo Selvedge. It belongs to our friend Matt who wore this jean every day for 1 year and 6 months with ZERO washes. Now that's dedication!

jZrqQVtl.jpg

Matt rocked a roll like a boss!

pp9VNajl.jpg

Even after two crotch rips, and two repairs later, these jeans still stand strong!

vVEqxypl.jpg

Honeycombs for days!

npI6gKGl.jpg

Thanks Matt!

Edited by Tate + Yoko Staff

There's something like germs that are the reason for smell. welcome to science

Do you know how things like Febreeze work? The active part of ingredients (the cyclodextrins) encapsulate the matter that causes the smell (chemical compound). All the dirt and stuff is still there...so still gross

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

FTFY.

I thought the no washing philosophy was a Nudies and APC thing. Does Naked & Famous/Tate & Yoko preach the same philosophy to its customers?

Tate + Yoko and N&F absolutely do not preach the same philosophy of Nudie/APC. The whole fun of raw denim is that the power/option is open to the user. Only you get to decide the fate of your own jeans. If a person wants to never wash their jeans, that is cool with us. If you want to wash your jeans every day, so be it, that is also ok. And so is everything in between. There are no rules. I have heard Nudie reps say "don't wash for 6 months". But that is ridiculous. What if one gentleman is a bike messenger and beats his jeans up every day, and another guy is an accountant only wearing his jeans lightly on the weekends... at 6 months, their 2 jeans will be nothing alike, so how can there be an arbitrary time limit to wash?

Above we stated that Matt had zero washes because that's a fact. He happened to think it was a fun experiment to do that. As long as his girlfriend doesn't start holding out on him, we say all the power to ya! Zero washes may not be my personal choice, but if he has fun with it then that's great.

There's something like germs that are the reason for smell. welcome to science

Do you know how things like Febreeze work? The active part of ingredients (the cyclodextrins) encapsulate the matter that causes the smell (chemical compound). All the dirt and stuff is still there...so still gross

you must be obtuse. If one were to febreeze their jeans, then it would not smell. And if it didn't smell, then how the hell would the tailor figure out how dirty they were unless he looked them up under a microscope. And fyi there are millions of microorganisms just about everywhere, so quit being such a pansy.

Edited by unouomedude

If the guy only wore underwear, then it's still dirty from all the crotch sweat and whatnot. Just because there isn't a smell does not mean it is not dirty or grimy. Also, if it smelled horribly and he frebreezed it, then yes, the possible shit stain and all its bacteria is still there...

Certainly, you would agree that after handling jeans you don't know the history of, you should wash your hands before eating. For all I know he could have gotten mud on them or got his skeet skeet on it after a lady friend coming over. I don't know. I personally would wash my hands. It might not make you sick but the thought nonetheless is kinda repulsing. Of course, you can call me a pansy but I like to call it taking precaution. Each his own.

you must be obtuse. If one were to febreeze their jeans, then it would not smell. And if it didn't smell, then how the hell would the tailor figure out how dirty they were unless he looked them up under a microscope. And fyi there are millions of microorganisms just about everywhere, so quit being such a pansy.

...I love how some people can't argue with pure facts but have to use abusive words...

I'll stop here. Enjoy your dirty but not smelling life ;)

...I love how some people can't argue with pure facts but have to use abusive words...

I'll stop here. Enjoy your dirty but not smelling life ;)

Oh, the irony is killing me. You sir are the one who began being abusive by trying to belittle me with your "facts". My original post was meant to present a possible explanation for why the jeans may have been presentable even though they were never washed; in other words febreeze may have masked the smell so tailoring them would not be unpleasant. You obviously didn't understand that and tried to belittle me by google searching how febreeze works and essentially calling me uneducated. You claim that I am unreasonable, but in reality you are just plain ignorant.

I'm done with this conversation.

Edited by unouomedude

hi. i have a question and a comment. hope that it's OK if i get back to some N&F denim discussion here. So, is the current version of the Oni collab that is sold through T&Y an updated version from the first production? I remember reading about a slight increase in the front rise, and perhaps I am mistaken, but also the addition of an extra fly button?

on that note, and i'd like to phrase this gently - i wore the Oni collab for a while, they are a really beautifully constructed pair of jeans. I also have one of the Momotaro Blue Owl collabs and it is another absurdly beautiful jean...the fly buttons all have a design on them and the designs are all properly lined up with one another, i feel like that shows amazing focus and dedication in production....soooo in regards to N&F, i bought a pair of the natural organic weird guys and what i appreciate in them is that the fabric is cool, it is different than all the plane ole cone denim i see so often, but I must say that the construction quality is lacking immensely. within less than a month I have felt a seem pop in a belt loop when pulling out my belt, the front button hole was not made well so it has stretched and is a little too loose, and the double stitching on the inner legs of the jeans is so ugly looking I am amazed that was chosen as a design element. all in all, a nice fabric, but the construction really leaves a lot to desire. I would like to see N&F up there game a bit and make some quality improvements. i feel like it's a shame that a company that has blown up so much and did so because of it's love for denim doesn't seem that concerned about putting out the highest quality, long-est lasting product possible.

hi. i have a question and a comment. hope that it's OK if i get back to some N&F denim discussion here. So, is the current version of the Oni collab that is sold through T&Y an updated version from the first production? I remember reading about a slight increase in the front rise, and perhaps I am mistaken, but also the addition of an extra fly button?

on that note, and i'd like to phrase this gently - i wore the Oni collab for a while, they are a really beautifully constructed pair of jeans. I also have one of the Momotaro Blue Owl collabs and it is another absurdly beautiful jean...the fly buttons all have a design on them and the designs are all properly lined up with one another, i feel like that shows amazing focus and dedication in production....soooo in regards to N&F, i bought a pair of the natural organic weird guys and what i appreciate in them is that the fabric is cool, it is different than all the plane ole cone denim i see so often, but I must say that the construction quality is lacking immensely. within less than a month I have felt a seem pop in a belt loop when pulling out my belt, the front button hole was not made well so it has stretched and is a little too loose, and the double stitching on the inner legs of the jeans is so ugly looking I am amazed that was chosen as a design element. all in all, a nice fabric, but the construction really leaves a lot to desire. I would like to see N&F up there game a bit and make some quality improvements. i feel like it's a shame that a company that has blown up so much and did so because of it's love for denim doesn't seem that concerned about putting out the highest quality, long-est lasting product possible.

Hey Oceansand,

There were 2 productions of the ONI collaboration jeans with slightly different details in some minor areas.

I dont really understand what you mean by "felt a seam pop when pulling out my belt". Can you email [email protected] with photos please? She will arrange to repair your jeans for free!

I've never heard a complaint about a stretched out button-hole before so please do send Kari the photos as well.

As for the felled inseam, that's pretty standard on many jeans and some people prefer the cleaner look when flipping the cuff. This is really only a matter of personal taste and not quality.

T+Y

In what way is it condescending? Walk into any mall retailer for Nudies, A.P.C. and Naked & Famous and you'll likely be fed the same misinformation that you should go "X" amount of time without washing your raw denim. ( I believe the figure is 6 months.) They're decent quality pants for the price point, but it's still considerably less expensive than what is considered to be premium japanese denim and as such, the majority--not all-- of people who purchase said brands are likely to be either trend-hoppers or incapable of spending premium denim money. And thus, the basis of their knowledge is likely going to be built upon that which they are told by those who they believe to be in the know--sales associates. The regular Joe denim buyer doesn't shop at specialty stores like Tate + Yoko; they shop at Style Xchange, Urban Outfitters, Simons, Holt Renfrew, Ogilvy's etc. (Popular Canadian shops.) These retail spots are mostly employed by teenagers just looking to make a buck and as such their knowledge is limited as well. No one in Montreal knows about T+Y unless you frequent popular online communities such as this one or happen to hear about it through a friend who frequents popular online communities such as this one. Being knowledgeable in denim is an internet phenomena and it's appreciation is mostly one as well. In the end, what I was attempting to convey is that a limited knowledge and understanding of why raw denim has become the prevalent choice for casual menswear is the reason behind why someone would go years without washing their jeans.

Edited by TresUnCool