Buzz Rickson

partytaco

I quite like the Buzz stuff, but must wait patiently for someone to sell an XXL MA-1 in black for less than retail... sigh.

In the meantime, I picked up a pair of Buzz sneakers off E-prey for a song. They are fun. They are period correct, which is to say a totally insubstantial canvas sneaker.

IMG_1260.jpg

One of the curious details is the medallion logo, much like the Keds of yore.

IMG_1256.jpg

What I find strange is that this medallion is on the INNER SIDE of the shoe, rather than on the outer side. I thought / vaguely remember that the medallion is on the outer side, thus to show off. No?

This isn't a complaint, but merely a curious observation / question.

Otherwise, they are fun to wear.

I started to do the big cuffs, exaggerated look..., but my 12 yr-old daughter put her foot down. She said I was too old to pull off the look. (To a 12 yr-old daughter, any dad is ancient!) But with minor or no cuff, she said they were okay. Actually, she was/is right.

:cool:

Have you ever worn chuck taylors? :P

Duuuh. It's been a while. My memory is clearly faulty. Guess I coulda/shoulda done a bit of searching.

mea culpa. :o

Still, why wouldn't it be on the outside? Or, rather, why IS it on the inner side?

Not that it matters...

Double Duuuuh.

Does anyone know if they are going to release the sneakers again?

I suspect they will. I will say, however, that they look vaguely cool BUT, from a material standpoint, they are NOT worth the big bucks ($175) they demand at retail. They are very insubstantial. Well made, but very light/thin materials all the way 'round.

I got 'em off E-prey for $39. This, they are worth. Not more.

IMHO, of course.

Hows the fit on those buzz sneakers? The same as with chucks? Did you just take your regular size? Ive wanted them for a while now but just cant bring myself to spend that much on a pair of 'brown chucks'

Love your avatar. My dad was a Seabee!

The buzz sneakers are Brit sized. Mine are marked size 9. On the Fleabay, they were marked at 10-10.5, which is probably why practically no one bid. I know that, for me, a Brit 9 = US 10. Many people/sites say different, but the gamble paid for me. Perfect fit.

I wear a US 10E in "real" shoes. Sometimes the various sport shoes I need bigger. My Tricker Bourton's are UK size 9, and also fit perfectly. SO, I'd say they are true to Brit sizing.

As noted above, tho. They really are a pair of "brown chucks". They ain't no better in materials. They look good, have good stitching, etc. BUT I do not think they are worth the fashion price of retail -- by a very loooong shot! IMHO, of course.

Oh thats cool, unfortunatly I dont have any ties to the seabees, im just really interested in them and love their history.

Neway, thanks for the info. Sounds like you got a deal with them! If i could find a cheaper alternative i would probably go for them but the buzz's just seem to be a perfect look for what im after. I'll wait until i get a decent bonus frm work!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have one in olive. Extremely warm, but I will say that it's a pain in the ass if you have buzz cut (which I know you don't). The cap leaves corn row-looking lines in my head after I've had it on for awhile and they only go away with water. Bummer.

• 1 month later...

I've been wearing those for a while baldy, and you can expect them to get all fuzzy and lose their shape after about a month.

I recently picked up the Saint James navy watch cap, and I like it except for the fact that it isn't double layer knit.

• 4 weeks later...
I've been wearing those for a while baldy, and you can expect them to get all fuzzy and lose their shape after about a month.

I recently picked up the Saint James navy watch cap, and I like it except for the fact that it isn't double layer knit.

Agrred with Zissou,

great product!!

I've have also been wearing one in navy for over a year, I love it to death, but it has gotten fuzzy and loosened up in it's shape, which is fine for longhairs, but not buzz-cuts...

personally just like my other clothing, i like when hats get old and worn in...

i just ordered the grey one from Superdenim, it is a different fit, but amazing quality, and should have for life, until lost..

• 4 weeks later...
anyone who can comment on the weight of their L-2 jackets? Looking for a solid winter jacket.

The L-2 was originally intended to be worn in the warmer months (late spring/summer), the L stands for light-zone, so not suitable for winter. Try a BR N-1 USN deck jacket or a 1942 USN deck jacket (either hook or zipper type) as both are toasty warm in the winter.

The L-2 was originally intended to be worn in the warmer months (late spring/summer), the L stands for light-zone, so not suitable for winter. Try a BR N-1 USN deck jacket or a 1942 USN deck jacket (either hook or zipper type) as both are toasty warm in the winter.

I've spent the past thirteen or fourteen years wearing various reproduction WWII jackets, and have spent the past two winters wearing one of the Buzz zip front 1942 deck jackets. I ordered a down parka from Eddie Bauer last week, and it arrived today..... I'm not going to spend another winter being cold. The deck jacket is nice down to around freezing, but below that, all the layers that need to be worn to stay warm make the jacket a pain.

As others have already mentioned, the L2 is not a winter jacket, unless the temp never drops below 50 degrees during the winter where you live.

They're almost too warm for me to wear on most days even in the winter.

Then again i get warm easily.

Speaking of how warm Buzz stuff is, what is the warmth factor of the loop wheeled sweatshirts? I know they'll be fine for here in NorCal but I have to spend a month back home in the UK and was wondering if they'd be a good weight for that.

hottest sweatshirts ive ever owned,matching a hot personality perfectly.

Speaking of how warm Buzz stuff is, what is the warmth factor of the loop wheeled sweatshirts? I know they'll be fine for here in NorCal but I have to spend a month back home in the UK and was wondering if they'd be a good weight for that.

I'd wear something underneath if I were in the UK.

The 12 oz fabric is sometimes insufficient for me during the colder winter days (and I live in Australia :P).