Pure Blue Japan

midnight

Has anyone picked up any of the Uniqlo collab stuff yet?

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/search.html?q=pure+blue

I'm pretty interested in the work jacket at that price...

Whaaa? Has anyone seen this stuff first hand?? Doesn't really look like PBJ stuff. Is it just a case of unfortunate naming?

Edited by TheIntelligentHoodwinker

So, technically and legally legit, but morally bang out of order...

Associating a brand like uniqlo with PBJ is not going to make me any more likely to shop uniqlo, but would make me less likely to buy PBJ and I imagine this would be the case for most. They are obviously just hoping to trap the unwary and uninformed and are not concerned about the possible consequences to PBJ's reputation and name.

Sneaky.

Edited by Artisandenim

Clever marketing. I don't think the general public know about the PBJ brand we all love.

I agree on this...

I think all denimheads see immediately that this isn't a collab between Uniqlo and PBJ. Therefore, I don't think it will ruin PBJ's reputation, although it's a filty trick marketing wise from Uniqlo.

On the other hand. Peeps who don't know PBJ don't know what they miss. A Uniqlo sweater with a likewise name isn't going to change that, expect the few Googling "pure blue japan". Then they are introduced to the awesomeness that is PBJ... It's the first hit on Google.

Because PBJ doesn't hold the trademark outside Japan.

That's why you find this on their HP:

pure blue japan® and Syoaiya® are completely same products and manufactured in Syoaiya.co.ltd in Japan. Syoaiya® is the international brand of pure blue japan®.

i totally forgot about this whole thing here. i suppose it'll not trash the pbj brand but only bring down the name of uniqlo..

EDIT: but on the other hand a search on google now comes up with uniqlo's pbj collab first. this is so misleading for those not in the know...

Edited by louisbosco

It's especially confusing for people new to/getting into the game.

Why do we buy products like PBJ in the first place?

Trusted, high quality materials and construction? small runs where standards are possible to maintain? Exclusivity of a non mainstream brand? The ethos behind the brand? Support of the 'little guy' business model? A mixture of all of these reasons and many more I suspect...

Basically all of the things you lose from a mass market brand, even a so called 'quality' mass market brand be it uniqlo, matalan, h & m, gap whatever...

That's what I meant by damaging PBJ's reputation. Not for people who are involved enough to fully research and/or use forums like this but for those thinking of dipping their toe in, doing a quick google search or similar and seeing an association with a bog standard high street store.

I think it's fair to say that the sort of people who are looking to get into this game are usually the sort of people to do their homework so it shouldn't really be TOO much of an issue but that doesn't justify it or make it any less snide.

anyone else feel like their PBJ's could've used another belt loop or two? My leather belt is starting to warp funny because there is only one loop in the back. I was looking at my other jeans and a new pair of 3sixteens I want to buy and they definitely have more. I kind of am thinking I want to add some to my pair.

anyone else feel like their PBJ's could've used another belt loop or two? My leather belt is starting to warp funny because there is only one loop in the back. I was looking at my other jeans and a new pair of 3sixteens I want to buy and they definitely have more. I kind of am thinking I want to add some to my pair.

not that it occurred to me, nope. didn't have that feeling through my sams, pbj and ih..

@ cadence - personally I see what you mean, although this arrangement is pretty much standard. My (wife's) xx012 have one central loop at the rear and one set all the way over on the right and left hip. Doesn't seem to be causing any belt problems.

My 3sixteen st120's have a loop just off centre both left and right at the rear and the patch itself is basically an extra loop too. I think I prefer this set up, wether or not it has any benefit but that's purely personal taste over function I would say.

The only PBJ's I have are the xx-012's... I'm not sure if they're the only ones like this but it irritates me when the belt comes above the pant line. (attached photo shows what I'm talking about)

cSZNkwll.jpg

It reminds me of when girls wear high wasted thongs that show above their pants. I know it's silly to compare the two but it always comes to mind. 

Here's a picture of my belt warping:

CbfQxjpl.jpg

This ^ That fit from the back look kinda awkward. The 12s are a low rise fit. It looks like you're wearing them a bit higher than intended. Might be the cause of the belt issue. You might also just be wearing the belt a bit too tight.

Ah, I see what you mean.

I think you've got the same issue as me in not liking jeans to sit too low on your hips (and the subsequent saggy arse possibilities) - meaning you pull them up higher than they are designed to sit and use the belt pulled tight to hold them in place. Exactly what I was doing and one of the reasons that, with great regret, I gave up on my '12's.

Oddly though, my 3sixteens (st120) have identical rise measurements but I don't have this issue at all with them. Maybe because they are not quite as slim through the legs which means they hang better (on me) I'm not sure.... The 12's kinda felt that they were tight around and held up by my thighs (for a skinny dude I've got quite big thighs) meaning the wider waist designed for the lower rise 'gaped' making me want to yank them up all the time. Hence the belt pulled tight... They would not 'drop' and sit on my hips as the design intended because they couldn't get past my thighs.

So belt is probably too tight (I figured this was part of the problem). But you guys all think the fit needs to be sagged?

Thanks for the feedback guys!