Denim Repair

obsessis

• 3 weeks later...

Warehouse 660 repairs courtesy of Denim Doctors @HTC.

Before:

3540469821_38dde41e40.jpg

3541278544_506368691d.jpg

After:

3622936411_71562b603d.jpg

They took off the rest of the pocket, lined the entire inside of it with another piece of denim (similarly colored), and reattached it.

3623757062_9b1aa4809e.jpg

3622936489_edcd7a17e2.jpg

The crotch repair is almost invisible.

3623757216_87098fd680.jpg

They also fixed a couple minor holes:

3623757148_ddd6dbbed0.jpg

3623757266_60ea1fbe39.jpg

Full view of the jeans is in the Evo thread here.

I went through the first like 12 pages and then started from the last page and went back like 8 or so, but some guy had a pair of jeans only 2 months in and people were asking him why he reinforced them already? Is it a bad idea to reinforce early because that will end up shredding through too? Because I'm getting a pair of Nudies and because the inseam will be a tad long, I wanted to get them hemmed and use the left over material to reinforce the crotch to avoid the infamous blowout. I also juggled with the idea of waiting for a crotch blowout and then having them repaired to add some character to them, but honestly I'd prefer just avoiding it completely if possible.

if you want to reinforce early that's fine but don't use denim as the reinforcement fabric.

use something less bulky.

also, i would avoid reinforcing right away, eg while the jeans are still crispy (first couple months) because you don't really know where they're going to blow until they have some wear on them. its fine to say "the crotch" is going to blow, but if you've looked through the thread you've seen how many different things that can actually mean, you won't really be able to reinforce until you know just what you're dealing with if you hope to do a neat and inconspicuous reinforcement.

i am ultimately a pretty big fan of early reinforcement but its something to take into consideration

this talk of reinforcements reminded me i should post my own...

Here's the obligatory crotch repair/reinforcement

on the inside

3648677530_2739d055d5_o.jpg

and the outside

3648677526_dd53d4de89_o.jpg

and, here's some sitting-on-my-ass-all-day tears and repairs

3648677524_08681121de_o.jpg

3648677532_9b9a769c14_o.jpg

in case you can't tell from the photos, the seat repair is actually four different successive repairs done over probably eight months as it kept wearing through in different spots

Just got my jeans back with repairs from Chuck's Vintage. Went with them over Denim Doctors because I thought they'd be faster and because I needed a good zipper replacement. It ended up being a lot more expensive than what DDs quoted me, and took a lot longer, but they did a nice job. Replaced the LVC Talon with an OG Talon.

-21.jpg

-18.jpg

-19.jpg

-20.jpg

Wondering if I should have had the entire crotch area reinforced - although I think it tore because of the way the inside of the fly wore on that part of the denim.

Still, there has to be someone in NYC that can do this same work with denim...

interesting. i'm going to send my badly torn type III jacket to denim doctors and see what they can do with it. will take pre and post pics and add to the thread when it's all done.

interesting. i'm going to send my badly torn type III jacket to denim doctors and see what they can do with it. will take pre and post pics and add to the thread when it's all done.

pre pics:

collartear.jpg

sidetear.jpg

pockettear.jpg

cufftear2.jpg

cufftear.jpg

Attempted crotch repairs on my old Nudie AJDH's.

N_F.jpg

Used (washed it twice, cut into a more ovular shape before using):

N_P.jpg

Used some iron on adhesive to keep it in place, then stitched it on. I think I need some zig-zags for a bit more reinforcement.

N_R.jpg

n_C.jpg

anyone get their jeans tapered at denim doctors? how'd they turn out? i'm wondering if it's worth it to bring these to them just for some tapering (live in OC, about 45 miles away=[ )

also, anyone know if they chainstitch? i'll be giving them a call tomorrow though. thanks!

there was that dude from London or at least the UK who bought a Union Special. Damn, forgot his name

IT was The Clerk, site seems to be down at the moment, PM me if you can't reach him.

http://www.departmentofworks.com/nddbc.html

Last I heard he had it up and working, had ordered various thread and was experimenting with different stitch lengths etc.

nothing terribly exciting, but I was pleased with how it came out. a hole in my skulls from climbing over a fence:

skull%20seat%201.jpg

skull%20seat%202.jpg

tailor did it up nice:

skull%20repair%201.jpg

skull%20repair%202.jpg

skull%20repair%203.jpg

anyone in Austin needing repairs, I'd be happy to pass along this guy's info. he's fixed a bunch of stuff for me and is really affordable.

this one's a bit more dramatic: pair of crates with knackered pockets and seat fading away to nothing. a friend did these. she took the pockets off and reinforced the hell out of them and the seat. (pics are washed out.)

crate%20repair%201.jpg

crate%20repair%205.jpg

crate%20repair%202.jpg

crate%20repair%203.jpg

crate%20repair%204.jpg

nice work but on my opinion such things are part of the wering-process. me personally won't repair my denim unless they're comletely unwearable...

fair enough. I agree in spirit, but small holes become big holes, and it wasn't just a cosmetic issue. I suppose it's hard to see what the hole looked like, but it went all the way through, with a good chunk of threads completely broken. it was right in the middle of the seat and I bike in these all the time. So I think they would've become completely unwearable pretty quickly, and then way harder to repair as well. now they'll last long enough to develop a ton more holes.

x-post from samurai thread.

Wow, wow, wow. Denim therapy is amazing. For reference:

Before:

3332382734_3c748a5d69.jpg

The gordon repair:

3470216287_cdd9438273.jpg

After that it started to tear away along the seam at the BACK of the crotch, and it was too hot to wear them in summer and too tight to wear them on my bike (without further damage) so off to the denimtherapy they went while I am working on my pomata 55's in the meantime. Got them back, and what a great job!

3739358132_2c81511111_b.jpg

3738564367_b5ef7df5e4_b.jpg

HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended

http://denimtherapy.com/