ande whall contest thread

aleopold

The forecast is calling for snow this week so my wife and I were out trying to clear the yard. Fucking two stroke leaf blower spit gas/oil mix all over my right leg.

3EFE0BB8-6035-4961-B1C8-C1873858A4D0-5181-000008182360FFDE.jpg

Coin pocket and leg (below) got the worst of it

187C623A-3671-4FD7-A1CC-73D284A77A41-5181-0000081836E4CC4B.jpg

The crotch is still holding up after a weekend of lunging and stretching. Fading like a mother.

AD02B396-011D-4BD6-9ADA-80724E872609-5181-0000081850F7B47A.jpg

These are all taken with the iphone so sorry about quality.

Nice updates guys........ just over a month (38 days) to go until December 1st!!

Think I've pretty much worn my pair for every day bar 10 - for repairs & washing etc. They've had 3 soaks (one initial and 2 with detergent) and although they are starting to get a little funky (spilled some curry sauce on them last week) I reckon i'll be able to hold off for a proper wash until the final submission.

Not that it matters too much, and I'm just putting it out there, but has anything been worked out for what we will do once the comp has finished.... take photos (maybe with a grey card to stop any 'excessive contrast filters'?), send our jeans to ande (it seems that there will only be a handful of final submissions so this could be an option?)

Anyway onto my update, on a very stormy, long weekend (where many crazy athletes battled the elements to compete in the ITU World Triathlon Champs), my Andes and I decided to take a warmer (and high brow) option of visiting the recently refurbished Auckland Art Gallery. It was a great afternoon spent leisurely wandering the halls both discovering new inspiring works and having the chance to see many famous (mainly NZ and some international) works in the flesh.

I have a couple of concerts and some cool activities coming up in the next few weeks so will hopefully have a busy last month of the contest.....

1/ Queen Street (our main street) closed off for the Triathlon Champs. The weather was so bad that i saw a couple of riders come flying of their bikes and crash into the hoardings (on separate occasions), then have to pull themselves together and continue on - poor dudes.

2/ Pretty self explanatory really....

3/ I liked this shot because it captured the beauty of the old building with the juxtaposing clean modern lines of the recent upgrades.

4/ Gordon Walters - one of my favorite NZ artists - this 'pattern' has become very iconic in New Zealand with some people campaigning for our National Flag to be changed to it. (personally I wouldn't mind this as our flag looks very similar to a few other commonwealth nations' flags.)

5/ Damien Hirst - we dont get to see much of his work in the flesh down under, there was also a Roy Lichtenstein hanging a couple of paintings down from this one.

6/ Not too sure who the artist were here - but I liked the space.

7/ Comeback Specials #3 - which are ticking along nicely, they feel like a second skin, crotch repairs are holding up well. Compared to what I can see from the other contestants pairs, the faded areas around my lap are a little grey and flat/dirty at the mo but will hopefully brighten up once washed.

aucklandartgallery.jpg

Edited by theotherchrislewis

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday: went for 13-mile bike ride and then off to the early voting polls. An hour later, I vowed never to do that again. I thought it would be a good idea to get it out of the way, as I read up on all the candidates running for various positions in NC. Bad idea. There were record numbers at the polls; a lot of it has to do with NC remaining as a "lean" or "swing" state in the presidential race. Should have waited 'til election day.

IMG_5277.jpg

IMG_5278.jpg

IMG_5282.jpg

Hey guys, great updates! When is the official end date? Is it the 1st of December? Man this year has gone faaaaast. I will try and snap some pictures soon and post up like you guys.

I adopted this cat from the pound about a month ago, really cool big ginger dude. He was living rough all winter and is super timid, so he was hanging inside and sleeping under the couch and bed. Last night the little guy squeezed the window open and jumped out of the second story! It's so high....damn stunt cat! Can't find him anywhere, poor wee dude. Going to go for a walk soon for a look around.

I like the sound of this Cat Ande - Got Character.

A Little 11 Month Snap (iphone with auto levels).

Contrast is a little exaggerated but gives a good representation overall.

Had another 20min Hot soak and a Warm Tumble to shrink them down two weeks ago.

AW_11_Months_UKENO.JPG

Cant believe this has almost come to an end already!

I wont be giving these up or retiring them any time in the (near) future.

They have become really well fitted and incredibly soft. I think they'll carry on fading well too.

Just getting better with age.

I'll do a much better round-up when the end is nye :(

Thanks, U.

Edited by UkeNo

Thanks Ande, the celebration was really awesome, best mexican food in los angeles, a free art museum and what can basically be condensed to a low rider auto show. Just gave the jeans a wash will probably try to post up some pictures within the next day or so. Anyways, how do you want to judge this contest ande, should we submit pictures here, email them to you, send the jeans in, etc

Great updates Groove, UKE & CPL pos Rep given

HOG - the blue or indigo is a salt, sand mix I use that was an old Farm thing my Dad showed me. You take old cattle salt licks and sandy loam soil (in abundance at our old farm - I use a mix of my kids sandbox sand and old & dry potting soil). The Salt lick mixed with the sand/ potting mix won't hurt animals and also causes little damage to grass. It leaves terrible salt marks on your boots when you apply it, so my Hondos are at the cobblers getting reoiled.

I've noticed a few inquiries into how the contest should be judged. I'm in for whatever. Peer judgeing or sending them to Ande.

Will post pics this weekend hopefully. We had another winter snow storm warning that has currently dumped 25 cm (~10 inches) on us. This is supposed to be a very harsh winter which is shit for us but should amount to a banner year for local ski hills.

last weekend, I had an action-packed weekend/beginning to the week: I went to a halloween party (as the scariest person that i could think of) on the Friday night, saw one of my favorite bands: The Black Keys play live on the Saturday night, had a friends leaving drinks on the Sunday and saw one of the greatest bands of my generation: Radiohead play live on the Tuesday night (but have to wait until i can get some photos off a friends camera for this one) and still managed to have a crazy busy week at work

1/ Happy Halloween!!! My lovely girlfriend and I were pipped at the post for the best costume award by Norman Bates and his mum.

2/ Some friends went for the indie-halloween look, and nailed it.

3,4,5/ A couple of years ago the Black Keys decided to cancel their show at a local festival 'Big Day Out' (to take a break and write their poppy breakthrough album El Camino) after I had purchased my ticket - pretty much only to see them play. So I was very excited to finally get the chance to see them play live in my home town but unfortunately, with all the build up, I can't say that it was one of the best concerts that I've been to. The crowd kinda ruined it for me, as it seemed that they were only there because it was the coolest thing to do that Saturday night and not because they loved the band.... with most of them only reacting to the songs off El Camino. The other thing was that for an arena-style rock concert I expected a little more sizzle from the band. They played a perfect small venue set with very little talk and a get stuck in approach but their bluesy rock sound wasn't enough to fill such a big area by itself - and after seeing Radiohead a few days later it made the Black Keys look like they were a warm up act.

awcontestblackkeys.jpg

And as much as I was trying to wait until the end of the contest for the big wash, I couldn't hold out any longer as the jeans were getting pretty dirty and smelly (and I guess 20 days worth of wear won't make too much of a difference for the effort of putting up with the filth). So I soaked them for an hour then put them into the washing machine - here are some before and after shots taken on the same day (but the sun was stronger for the 'before pics'). Up until this point they had only been soaked 3 times (1x initial and 2x unagitated with detergent & a cold rinse). I think the waistband and back pockets were still damp when I took the 'clean shots'. They have turned out way more 'bluer' - especially in the mid and lighter tones and the whites are much brighter.

1/ Front pre-wash

2/ Front post-wash

3/ Back pre-wash

4/ Back post-wash

beforeafterwash.jpg

Hi guys. All looking really good. I think everyone should post up final pictures around the 1st December, it will be to costly to send them back to me. Maybe get some sufu denim vets to judge? Maybe it's not the best if I judge them huh.

One last update for the penultimate day of the contest...

Well gents, it has been an interesting experience wearing the same pair of jeans for pretty much every day of the past year (think I'm about 10 days short - days for washing, repairs and when I didn't get out of bed). It's also been fun documenting some of the key moments & experiences that myself and these jeans have been through.... I have been eyeing up the Heavyweight 2 comp (as I purchased a pair of IH 634S-R back in Feb) but my girlfriend looked horrified when I told her that I may do another comp - let alone telling her that it's twice as long... I'm still thinking of how I might be able to pull it off. Oh yeah, my side project of taking a photo every day took a tumble when I lost my camera about 5 months into it.

I originally chose the looser buffalo cut because I thought that may have made them easier to wear, often (tbh I'm not sure if it really helped) but I'm now glad that I have a pair of well-broken-in, lighter-weight, relaxed-cut jeans - perfect for those NZ balmy summer nights!

Ande, if you would prefer a panel of judges then I'm all for it and I'm down for whoever you think is worthy of the job - I'm hoping that you would still plan to be one of them?

1/ I got caught 'shortless' on a nice sunny spring 'fooling-us-that-its-a-summers' day, so took my pair on an impromptu visit to the beach last weekend. The cool thing was it was a nice 20 minutes walk from my girlfriends house, here is a shot of the view from Coyle Park on the way.

2/ The beach, the jeans, my feet.

3/ Here is a shot of the Skytower from Coyle Park (above the beach). One cool thing about living is Auckland is that we have about 5 'nice' beaches within 10km of the city center. We are told that we shouldn't really swim at a couple of them as they are close to industry and shipping etc. but they are nice to visit on a hot summers day and many people do wade their feet through the water to cool down.

4-6/ And finally some pictures of the Radiohead concert at Vector Arena from last month - an amazing show,

my favourite concert from this year!

beachradiohead.jpg

Edited by theotherchrislewis

I love the diversity that a global competition such as this brings and the fact that one person is wearing their jeans on the beach while simultaneously another is shovelling snow in theirs.

I've really enjoyed following this contest and would like to thank the 5 or 6 regulars who have posted updates regularly. As for those who have dropped out or haven't bothered posting, I find this disappointing and wonder why they bothered entering as we all know what is expected in terms of regular updates.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the final posts and judging.

^^Nice update Chris

Tried to photograph my Andes at the beach again today. Suffered from the winter sun being low late in the afternoon.

Might try again before the 'Final Submission'.

Here's a snap to prove i was on Brighton Beach (Again!)

DSCF5722_Edit_Ukeno_2012.jpg

They've gone in a cold wash today as they now smell - only the 2nd or 3rd time i've noticed that all year.

More/Final Pics to come ^_^

Here are a few quick pre wash pictures, the back pockets are absolutely thrashed, a lot of threads have been busted and repaired, and the crotch is starting to form new holes around the repairs that have been done, but I still love them and choose to put them on over my other jeans every morning. Theyre in the wash now, will upload some final pictures tomorrow.

8230366685_918958a478.jpg

8231429990_2d3622b583.jpg

Crazy its been a year! Anyone else planning on posting up their final pictures today, seeing as how it is the last day of the competition? Either way, looking forward to seeing how everyones pairs turned out. here they are after what I think is around the 4th wash. lighting is pretty bad as its been raining here all day but it is what it is.

I really love how the buttons have worn down the fly

8235411555_fb03a69d80.jpg

8236481632_490e493f8f.jpg

8236479142_e8ed59d472.jpg

The back pockets are in unbelievable need of repair, the seat is thinning and needs to be patched and the center back belt loop is about to bust as well

8236480386_6aac496ef5.jpg

Roping at the cuff

8236478380_8f90ddde60.jpg

Close up of the train tracks

8235410503_9ec239cb6a.jpg

Tried to capture the variation in the color of the denim but after a few tries gave up. The different shades of blues/greys on these are just beautiful

8236477824_dee5e55c1c.jpg