ande whall contest thread

aleopold

The jeans are coming along nicely but i'm starting to get a small tear beside my repair effort, think I stitched too close to the rip and it just broke away so I will need to do some more 'minor' repairs soon. And in other news, I also recently spent a week in Sydney with the 'wahine' where I finally managed to do & see some things that I had always wanted to but hadn't been able to do before...

1. The main reason we went over is for the Vivid light festival which seminars, concerts and a light 'trail' which featured light sculptures and free public light shows. This photo was taken at a talk on copyright laws, covering everything from music downloads to sampling African tribal beats - the basic list was that it favors the powerful and the distributors/middlemen are the ones who benefit the most as opposed to the artists themselves.

2. The highlight of my trip - ISAM by Amon Tobin, a ninja tunes artist. He is in a translucent cube in the center of a 3D cube stage/canvas while this incredible projection-mapped light show is projected over him. This was also my first time in the Sydney Opera House so it was a double bonus.

3. The next night we went to see Karen O's Rock Opera 'Kill the Virgens', again at the Sydney Opera House but in the smaller Opera Chamber. I thought it was an amazing show and was so glad I saw it but it just didn't move me as much as the night before.

4. There was a skype-seminar from one of the founders of Vice magazine Shane Smith which was unfortunately riddled with technology problems. Here we thought we could be getting some informal funny 'amazing stories' talk, but he concentrated on why they are starting to expand into news and showed us some amazing footage from their 'Travel Guide to Kurachi' (which i think is on their website). He said that the main reason they're doing news is that the traditional channels are lost in a formula that appeals to the baby boomers which the younger generations can't relate to and that it is used as a propaganda mechanism in most parts of the world. It was very interesting and quite moving at parts but it makes me wonder if they will get the credibility for their news efforts under the 'vice brand' after doing things like sending reporters to cover fashion week on acid?

5&6. Here we have a couple of the light projection shows in public spaces, they also did the Opera House but we didn't get a good photo of it. The first was taken at a tunnel down by the rocks and the second is on the Custom House (which was my favorite).

7. We went to Bondi beach on a stormy day and walked around for a bit but the weather packed up so it didn't last too long. Next time, I'll have to try and get out there during the summer when it will be pumping as it felt quite 'seasonal' and would be a whole different place.

8&9. We were wondering if this guy just hangs out here all the time. Most of the time the weather was raining and grey like photo 8 (taken on the 2nd day), but typically, on the day that I was leaving the day was amazing like photo 9 (taken on the 7th day).

10. I made myself up a little map showing where all the places that served craft beer were located and managed to conveniently 'swing by' most of them on our travels. I ended up sampling quite a few different beers which included: Little Creatures Pale Ale, Vale Pale Ale, Schwartz Hotel: Pale Ale & Pilsner, Lord Nelson: 3 Sheets Pale Ale & Victory Pale Ale & Nelsons Bloods & Old Admiral Old Ale, Rocks Hangman Pale Ale, Doctor's Orders Plasma White, 2 Birds Red Ale, Woodstock Dreamy Pale Ale, Fat Yak Pale Ale, Alpha Pale Ale and the Full Steam Pale Lager - yeah, it was tough work but someone had to do it!

11. We visited the Modern Art Museum - one of those great things to do in a foreign city on a rainy day! I guess, like every modern art museum there were things that I thought were amazing and things that we far beyond my comprehension.

12. One of my mothers' favorite chefs Bill Granger who is 'famous' for his scramble eggs has a couple of cafes in Sydney so I (of course) ordered the scrambled eggs - I thought they were quite creamy and really nice, and I could understand why someone would rate them but maybe a little too rich to be my personal favorite.

13. On the last morning we took a walk over the Sydney Harbour Bridge to Lunar Park. There were some great views off the bridge but they reminded me of every postcard ive ever seen of Sydney so because I've always had a soft spot for a good silhouette i thought I'd show this one (and I kinda like the creepy eyes)

14&15&16. For the first time, I went to the Chinese Friendship Gardens in Darling Harbor which is pretty much in the center of town. Went for a casual stroll around the grounds and had some tea by the lake. And finally a pick of the jeans!

awcontestsydney1.jpg

awcontestsydney2.jpg

awcontestsydney3.jpg

Nice one Chris. Ahhh Bondi...never been for a swim with so many people in my life. Good updates fellas. I had an old friend drop off his old Grifters, 13.5oz Zimb the other day....two years old and looking well trashed. I will post some pic's when it's a better day for photos.

Check out this cool skate vid from post quake.

It is finally nice here so I have a huge update. Golfed 36 holes a week ago Thursday, then 18 on Friday. Took some pics of some Geese and goslings. Pics are not that good but the goslings were really cute. Got a little too close and one of the Moms hissed at me.

1a042707.jpg

f2144c98.jpg

27ac43eb.jpg

My wife thought our girls would get a kick out of watching Horse Racing so we went for the afternoon. Had the girls pick which horses to bet on (any winnings went towards their future college tuition). Here are some pics of the day. My wife used to go to Dog Racing when she was in Portland, OR so she tried to explain Exactor, Trifecta etc etc. In one ear out the other. This was the first time I had ever been to Horse racing and it just made me miss riding horses!

1d565ac7.jpg

Our Winner and it's jockey.

462b4593.jpg

Continuing on: Was in Fernie, BC yesterday and decided to hit a couple of buckets of balls. I hated golf for the longest time; I grew up playing baseball and was always told that golf ruins your swing. I also hated the bourgeois attitude most golfers have. Nevermind the destruction of perfectly good nature. Anyways, I have since developed a severe obsession with it and am constantly trying to get away and swing some clubs.

Here are a couple views of the Fernie golf course.

DSCN3473.jpg

DSCN3472.jpg

BC has been having a terrible time with rivers flooding this year. I stopped on the highway and took some pictures of what are normally small streams.

DSCN3475.jpg

DSCN3474.jpg

For some reason every time I post more than 4 pictures they immediately shift to the original size. So I apologize but Sufu will not let me post all of these in one.

Growing up my grandmother ran a farm. My father grew up on it and my brother and I spent almost every weekend visiting and generally acting like feral children. This is where I learned to ride horses, target shoot and ride a motorbike. Anyways I remember seeing this placard on grain elevators and other agricultural buildings. As a kid I always wondered why they were selling t shirts. From a distance it looks like a tshirt to me or when I was a kid. I finally saw that it was an elephant and was kind of bummed out.

DSCN3463.jpg

And here are some jeans pictures

bb1f2781.jpg

f60e751b.jpg

4346d061.jpg

0a3e88aa.jpg

3cdf8de1.jpg

8528da51.jpg

a72a0bc1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It has been Picante here. Went camping last weekend and the average was about 35 degrees mid afternoon. Needless to say the Jeans needed a wash. I also had some patching done along the yoke. Posting for the first time with my new to me MacBook so I apologize if these turn out shitty.

Edited by Noodle36

When I first got them the denim was super smooth and because of the complete lack of roughness from the start i'd classify it as soft. i'd also tend to say that in comparison to other types of denim (especially the unsanforized ones) i've handled, that it had a relatively low amount of depth and character when i first got them. I honestly felt a little unsure as to whether i was satisfied or unsatisfied with the denim at first but have been very pleasantly surprised with how the denim has aged, but if you are at all interested in unique fabrics, and can really appreciate the differences among different brands and fabrics, it would be my personal recommendation to go for one of the special rolls. no offense meant to ande on this but the standard 13.5oz denim reminds me of something i'd expect to see on a more entry level jean and not a $285 pair.

It's been less than 3 months since unboxing them and the denim is aging at a good pace and taking on a lot more depth than i would have expected at first glance. I'm fully expecting them to look great in a years time.

as far as ande's construction, it's been as good as any brand i've personally handled, including rrl, sugar cane, eternal, dry bones, roy, etc.

i am a big fan of the hardware and all the details on the jeans - everything is of a super high quality.

Thanks xchen, that's pretty much confirmed what I'd thought. Ande's construction looks second to none but the standard 13.5oz denim has never greatly appealed to me. Those special rolls however, are another matter...

Yeah it's the same denim as some previous iterations, so there really isn't anything that sets these apart from those except the hand written numberings inside the pocket bags and the hair on hide patch. I really like these jeans a lot for their elegant simplicity. It's a finely constructed garment without many frills. I only own one other pair (PRPS purple selvedge ramblers) made from Zimbabwe denim. Both have stretched out a ton and are very soft. I would give the edge to the Ramblers in terms of softness, but it may be because I've owned them longer. I own LVC, Roy, Raleigh Denim, Denime, Dubbleworks, Kapital, Tender, Triple Works, Amoskeag, Et al, and what always attracts me are stories and texture. While the denim isn't something Warehouse fans would necessarily clamour over, I think most folks who handle denim can appreciate the difference, even if it's not their cup of tea. I still remember Victor of Raleigh Denim admiring a pair of PRPS I'd brought to the shop. Not only the details but the fabric was of interest to him, precisely because the Zimbabwe denim was so soft and different from anything he'd previously handled from the White Oak plant. In terms of fade, I think poly is the best example of how Ande's jeans can turn out. Mine are coming along nicely, I feel, and within a few more washes will show some lovely contrasts and fades.

hey guys. I have to chime in with my thoughts on the 13.5oz denim. It's no accident this denim has been chosen as the main staple, I feel it represents a great example of a 50's vintage denim, not to over the top in weight or slub. I think the devil is in the dye job, which is amazing when fully worn out, bright whites contrasted with mid indigo's. I love all types of denim, some of the other Japanese offerings are like vintage on steroids.

Here are some 13.5ozers worn by a friend for two years. He tried not to wash them for three months or so, then couldn't do it anymore, so would wash every week.

1350zx.jpg

matt01b.jpg

the hand rolled hems feel surprisingly substantial to me. still prefer chainstitched hems and my get a hem at some point. i got 32" hem and they are definitely longer than 32". I have had to wear one of those tender co double cuffs. i just pulled out the tape measure and they measure 33.75" - extremely annoying (take note ande!) because it will cost me a further $50 to get the hem done properly by blue in green

Edited by xchen

One thing I noticed when I was checking these out (for ages, haha) was that, since they were washed so often the train tracks didn't happen from the knee down. I wouldn't expect my friend to give a shit about this, but when ever I wash jeans I flip inside out and press the selvage seams open again, just in case they fold back on each other.

I fall in the camp of I prefer chainstitching for mostly aesthetic reasons (and nostalgic considerations), but am not fully convinced that it's superior for any other reason than being a more interesting detail. I really like the idea of two different color threads being used to create a stitch, but it's not going to convince me it's a better jean. As for roping, I'll try and post some detail pics next week-- I think these are twisting quite nicely. I'm actually quite a big fan of the hand felled seat seam-- it's probably my favorite detail. It's weird, but other than observing fades, this is the area I look at most closely every time I hold them up. It's just a mark of wonderful craftsmanship and attention to detail, IMO.

ande twists the hems a bit as he sews them to cause them to rope like a chainstitched hem, which i'm fine with. at this point i feel the need to hem just to get them to the desired length of 32" and i don't trust anyone locally to do it.

I tend to agree with Ande on the denim issue. The 13.5 denim he uses is one that will yield fantastic fade results if you put in the time and wear them for ages. I'd say it's true that they don't obviously have a lot of denim character when compared to other brands such as strike gold or flat head, but they were never meant to. I'm beginning to see with my own pair of cobras how they'll look in 6-8 months time, such as the pocket bag fadings etc, so whilst there isn't the inbetween wow that some people hope for in their Japanese denim, the end results will be worth it.

In regards to chainstitching, I guess it's a nice authentic detail to have but personally I don't give a shit either way. It's not like i'm going to walk around looking at my hems.... Years ago when I was in New York and bought a pair of Iron Hearts (301s), Andrew (store manager & 3sixteen owner) told me that a single stitched hem was actually a stronger & more secure way of hemming than the chain was and has far less chance of unravelling. It was just that enthusiasts wanted the old schools details that dictated what hems were used by manufacturers. I ended up re-hemming the 301s with a single stitch and it's never been an issue.

to kick a dead horse, in my opinion the denim really only starts to show its character after youve worn them for a good period of time. After six months the denim really showed some texture that seemed non existent before and im really starting to love how they are turning out

Edited by corporalclegg

Haven't updated in a bit. Unfortunately I can't wear the jeans as much as I used to do to a new job, but they still get some time on the nights and weekends.

ptRlY.jpg

Went down to Charleston, SC to visit my parents. Not a bad view...

7OItw.jpg

Reasons why I love the South: Shrimp and Grits + Sweetwater IPA

6K74P.jpg

Back in NY, rode my bike to Coney Island

0S9Px.jpg

Mandatory stop in Coney Island

YhkzG.jpg

Mets v Reds

npUyS.jpg

Yankees v Braves

lmlm5.jpg

One World Trade Center from the Hudson River

52N9G.jpg

rooftop party with a view of the williamsburg bridge

2G5Yh.jpg

made some grilled pizza for July 4th

0sDNd.jpg

screening of cruel intentions in the park. best quote of the movie: "email is for geeks and pedophiles"

evo pics coming soon!

Edited by robotbox

Jeans are packed for a two week vacation to Portland, Or. Will post pics if possible whilst there. If not upon our return. It will be interesting and a bit of a rite to slog around the PDX in my AW's. Not used to the humidity and heat combo so the jeans could be a hazmat concern upon our return.