66 Diary: LVC vs. SUGAR CANES

dr.house

Yeah shame about this thread, I bought and sold some SC66's (32 - tts) which I thought were a tad small in the waist ... which, I really should have stuck with them. Now I've got a pair of 33w that have been hung up for a few weeks now cos' they're too baggy. I really do like the denim on these.

Yeah shame about this thread, I bought and sold some SC66's (32 - tts) which I thought were a tad small in the waist ... which, I really should have stuck with them. Now I've got a pair of 33w that have been hung up for a few weeks now cos' they're too baggy. I really do like the denim on these.

If there's any draw back to SC's reproduction cuts (47, 66 and I assume the 55), it's that you almost have to go true to size at the waist, to get the rest of the jean to fit the way you want. And that leads to a waist that's almost going to cut you in half when shrunk, because they do shrink hard. They start out two inches above tagged size and shrink an inch or more below tagged. For me the best fit for the 47 and 66 would be a size 37, if such a creature existed.

I think the Dr did a good job comparing the details and fit of the two models. I'll try to get some fit pix up when I have a chance. My contribution will mostly be comparing the wear of the two models over time. If anyone else with one of both models wants to contribute pictures to this thread, please feel free. I think both models are some of the best efforts of their respective brands, but for some reason get very little attention here. Hopefully this thread changes that.

yes I also think that the '66 cut is great. maybe it's the "lack" of certain details that make a true '66 repro uninteresting for some guys. I also like hidden rivtes and a leather patch better than a paper patch and just bar tack.

I guess that's why a lot of guys take the 02 cut from OOE ('66) but nearly always take the XX details too.

I'll throw in some SC 66 shots every so often. I just gave mine their first machine wash, which got the last of the shrink out the way. Now I think I'm going to get them hemmed a tad shorter and then give them some good wear.

LVC 66's will be my next pair of jeans but not for awhile, I'm actually wearing OD fatigues more than jeans right now because we are getting some late summer here. So it will be at least a couple months before I own the two.

• 3 years later...

I am thinking about the SC 66 too! kind of between size 34 and 36 at the moment (lost 5 kilos in the last couple months), wonder if I can pull off the 34. I'd be happy with a 90cm waist and most sites give a 88cm waist in onewash for the 34. not sure I would pull the trigger on the 36 as these look to be quite wide at the thigh (wider than TCB), so possibly a Hitler pants fit on me. any suggestions/thoughts?

I'm looking into the size 36, but OW measurements on rakuten are anywhere from 86 to 91 cm. going to see if HPA can get me a raw pair, so I can control the shrinking if need be. Can't give any advice on what size you should go with, but my old pair of size 38 sc66s were very full other than at the waist.

I'm looking into the size 36, but OW measurements on rakuten are anywhere from 86 to 91 cm. going to see if HPA can get me a raw pair, so I can control the shrinking if need be. Can't give any advice on what size you should go with, but my old pair of size 38 sc66s were very full other than at the waist.

here they have SC66 raw in stock

http://www.mil-mil.n...66/sc41966.html

Musing on the late sixties repro, although there's particular features which can be identified as 'authentic', there does seem to be quite varied interpretations in cut. I mean, you have Devi's D66 with a comparatively short rise, TCB with straight leg, Sugar Cane with generous seat .. all quite different.

Then there's the Resolute 710, FOB 161, Evisu 2000 (I presume), the now defunct Neutral 366 / 366XX, Ooe 02, Pherrow's 466 (possibly?), Denime 'Real Basic' 66 / 66XX, and a myriad of other alternatives and inspired by's.

I'm ignorant as to how true this is, but to me the impression I get is that a sixties shape would be seen in a regular upper thigh with taper from the knee to hem - fuller than a post war late forties cut e.g. the '47 as I understand it being a shade slimmer in the thigh and straight from knee to hem. Depends how under size they're chosen to be worn of course, but that's what I get from reading on it.

most interesting thoughts Hoggy.

speaking of FOB161 are those still in production? I think they don't make them anymore, but maybe I'm wrong.

seeing your thoughts on the SC66 makes more doubtful that these could work with me. I'm after a new pair of 60's inspired jeans with a similar silhouette to TCB, possibly just a hint cleaner and with a slighty smaller hem width. also I have no big ass and quite small thighs compared to my waist size so unless I size down these might be a bad fit on my bodyframe. fabric it's so damn nice though...

^ Funnily I sometimes see the Fullcount 1108 advertized as a '66 cut. Although it is a quite straight leg and according to Setterman, he would qualify it as a '47 cut.

That said, Evisu's #2000 is a '66 cut but they also offered another '66 cut some times ago.

Can the Flathead 3009 be considered as '66 inspired cut? Besides that, there is still Warehouse's 1100 as a '66 cut with quite straight leg. 

Denime's Basic 66 is still a rather "cheap" and easy option and the details are correct as far as I can tell

edit: Deluxware offers a '66 cut and so does Pherrows (already listed IIRC by Hoggy)

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

I was speaking of FOB F161, the 66 cut of theirs. I am pretty sure the FOB F151 it's still in production and in stock on many shops.

re FC1101 I'm worried they won't work for me for the same reason you mention, generously sized in the thighs and with a rather significant taper. seen my small thigh I might end up with another Hitler pant. been there already with UES400T and totally hated it! a tapered cut has to be slim in the legs to work well on my body.

maybe i should stop look at repro cuts and trying a more modern cut, but I love too much the vintage details to really look seriously at modern cuts.

maybe I should just forget about all of this and start to really wear my pair of Bob Dong 47's I already have. they're a dream fit on me but the denim looks cheap enough to not make me motivated to wear them hard!

Musing on the late sixties repro, although there's particular features which can be identified as 'authentic', there does seem to be quite varied interpretations in cut. I mean, you have Devi's D66 with a comparatively short rise, TCB with straight leg, Sugar Cane with generous seat .. all quite different.

Then there's the Resolute 710, FOB 161, Evisu 2000 (I presume), the now defunct Neutral 366 / 366XX, Ooe 02, Pherrow's 466 (possibly?), Denime 'Real Basic' 66 / 66XX, and a myriad of other alternatives and inspired by's.

I'm ignorant as to how true this is, but to me the impression I get is that a sixties shape would be seen in a regular upper thigh with taper from the knee to hem - fuller than a post war late forties cut e.g. the '47 as I understand it being a shade slimmer in the thigh and straight from knee to hem. Depends how under size they're chosen to be worn of course, but that's what I get from reading on it.

A 66 would indeed have slightly more taper from the knee - but really, the definition comes more from LVC's repros than the originals, they've become the standard that others have followed.

Volvo, I own the SDA 103, but i think the 1108 is perhaps the best '60s tribute - I know a couple of people have speculated it's more a '47 cut, but the fella designed them says it's a '66 style (it's less tapered into the waist, ie less carrot-shaped than some, especially SC). Lovely pocket detailing and fabric.

All the 66 repros have some compromises; SC is really the wrong shape around the seat, LVC have exaggerated pocket shapes, although they have improved the arcuate.

DSCF2458_zps99b4311f.jpg

For VOlvo: 1108 plus Alfred Sergeant (only seeing this photo do I realise how knackered those poor shoes are now).

FullCount1108-1.jpg

And this is the real thing, posted raw at the beginning of this thread; nipper's 302 from 69 or so.

nipper2.jpg

nipper1.jpg

Edited by Paul T

Great 1108 fades Paolo!

I think I'll narrow down to some of the less repro oriented cuts.

from measurement I am pretty sure FC 1108 in either a 35 or 34 would be a great fit on me, because of the slim thigh and hip. righ now a 34 would be perfect, but maybe I should think more future oriented and get a 35! I'll dig more deep on SDA too., love how their fabric fades. need to end up with something that will work well with brogues and English boots. I have almost stopped to wear my Trickers and Sanders because they don't work well with the pairs I have in regular rotation at the moment. Even TCB60's are too wide to work well with brogues in fairness.

Edited by volvo240thebest