ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Oh, well done zissou, to sell in this market is a real achievement and I"m sure a testament to your great work. Good luck with the Aldens!

I am not quite in the doghouse, but perilously near. I tried to get another SuFu'er to purchase these boots but no dice. SO I had to do the honours...

boots3.jpg

Well, it seems we've come to an agreement on the sale price of my old house! It's not as good as I would have liked, but it's a terrible market, and it's time to just sell the house. Now, I just feel like going to sleep for half a day. And, buying those Aldens I've always wanted...

congratulations on coming to a decision! well you are right, with the terrible market out there, it would be hard to hold out till a better time. who knows how long that would take? im happy for you...and also jeaous about those aldens that you will be getting! : )

^ what an excuse Paul T, what an excuse! in all honesty they are real nice though. and for the price, its more than a steal. its murder i say!

Ha, thanks for the congrats, not sure you should be polluting the thread with my ugly mug, though!

Although it was a good, rather than great review I'm very grateful, it puts me up there with the big boys.

Oh, and thanks eltopo, the photog is Julian Burgin, he's a really good friend, made me look almost human, his dad is a famous photog, and he's the person I"m doing my market project with, we will probably go live in August.

And, for reference:

washfront.jpg

This was just a handwash, albeit a fairly thorough one. I really like the wear around the pockets.

So I finally gave these bad boys a wash. Here are some before pics. I am waiting for some decent lighting to post the after pics.

closeuproyxconebuckle.jpg

003800x600.jpg

004800x600l.jpg

008800x600j.jpg

009800x600a.jpg

011800x600p.jpg

005800x600.jpg

Not a whole ton going on like Paul's or Zissou's, amongst others, but I opted out of the sandpaper aging method even though Roy6 insisted on it. He swears that a light grit every night prior to hitting the sack ages the jeans nicely.

I forget how much I like a fresh, crispy pair of clean jeans though.

Uno mas:

I just love hardware. I am liking how the black anodizing is wearing off to show the brass (copper?) underneath.

007600x800.jpg

This was just a handwash, albeit a fairly thorough one. I really like the wear around the pockets.

Around here, they call that a nicely broken in pair of Boeing gloves.

The ROYs helped me out on some recent covert-ops. Some Jr.High-jinks, if you will. So the trend around these parts is to laugh in the face of economic freefall and tear down every school and spend millions building new ones. I won't belabour my opinions on the many polemics of this sort of thing, but I will say that my old elementary went first, and now are razing my old Jr. High. After picking up a nice oak desk chair at the auction, I poked around the art room and found a big display of ceramic art tiles on a board and they were pretty much all from my last year there. Odd as these were the only ones there, and this particular year was a long time ago. (Let's just say I've seen more than one High School reunion). So a couple of days later with some additional equipment (hint: a hardhat, handtruck, and tool bag will get you unnoticed into alot of places you probably shouldn't be) to liberate some memories. I found out why this thing had never been taken down. There were (alot) of monster nails behind tiles holding a full sheet of 3/4 inch plywood to the wall over the sinks. Some frantic minutes with a crowbar dropped the whole shebang on the big candy cane faucets. I figured the water was long shut off (it wasn't). I figure I narrowly missed a wet disaster that would probably have concluded with at least criminal tresspass and malicious mischief or some such thing. I'm still not sure how I managed to manhandle the whole thing home by myself, and I only broke two tiles. Now what the hell do I do with this thing?

ceramicboardJuly11.jpg

Looking good all, great pix - especially Rnr, Robbie and Zissou.

Been on holiday and now bought a house (which needs loads of work!), so busy busy busy.

Will try and get some pics up before my internet disappears (and Chris, promise no more crotch shots :))

The back of the RxCs remind me of these jeans that Sansome posted in the Jeans of the Old West thread. the big squarish back pockets and buckleback. Of course our buckle back is much better designed.

5575644786_f147459fb6_z.jpg

I hadn't yet had my coffee, and I thought that was your post-wash photo for a second!

Now what the hell do I do with this thing?

Well, there's only one thing to do- tile your bathroom! Great story, sir. You are a clandestine preserver of the arts.

im thinking about letting my pair go, either that or i run them in (from hip flare down)

feel too frumpy and yuck in them at the moment

is adapting them part of the aging wearing development of the jeans or is it breaking the rules?

I am fully behind whatever customization is deemed necessary (or even ill-conceived during a late night Absinthe binge). However, I will balance this by saying that I really liked how they fit on you already. I suppose that the slim and tight is all the rage with the ladies these days, but a snug top with loose trousers is more likely to turn this old grizzled head.

will not be slim and tight, no mutton dressed as lamb here, love my mr freedoms baggy ways

at the moment they are neither baggy or relaxed fit and as a big (tall) lady im pretty self conscious about looking big allover... not helped by all the layers of winter clothes at the moment

off to auckland for a day of shopping and catching up with my friends

Oh, well done zissou, to sell in this market is a real achievement and I"m sure a testament to your great work. Good luck with the Aldens!
congratulations on coming to a decision! well you are right, with the terrible market out there, it would be hard to hold out till a better time. who knows how long that would take? im happy for you...and also jeaous about those aldens that you will be getting! : )

Thanks very much, Paul and ranon! I didn't want to say much more until this moment. The house is officially under contract! I'm overcome with an enormous sense of relief at the moment. It's been a lot of work and stress wondering if it will actually sell in a timely manner. Three months on the market really isn't bad considering the market we're in at the moment.

It looks like the shoes will be cigar shell longwings :)

And congrats on the great NYT review, Paul! You've inspired me to put on Ziggy Stardust and celebrate a little. In my Roys, of course!

Congrats on the sale there zissou.

Glad that everything worked out in the end and that all the work you`ve put in it (thanks also for those update shots you always posted!) has come to an good end...

now lean back, have a beer, a nice cigar and just enjoy! ;)

got up bright and early

manaia1.jpg

2 hours later arrived in auckland

manaia2.jpg

had breakfast at shed 5 / dues ex machina... didnt buy any thing for once

wandered into the cbd... tried to go shopping but just not that excited by anything, got some sticky toffee perfume and some nail polish

caught a bus for the first time in 4 years, yay

met up with 2 of my besties

manaia3.jpg

the three of us tried to shop and all failed

so we went to littles place so she could sort us out

manaia4.jpg

manaia5.jpg

even made us a brew

manaia6.jpg

she cut minkies hair

manaia7.jpg

while i washed my hair out in her flatmates foul bathroom, i never lived with a piggy girl before

manaia8.jpg

quick trim of mine then all done

manaia9.jpg

then i left and went to a french place in ponsonby and had a duck salad, the duck was dry cured and it had creamy but crumbly blue vein through it, super yummy

manaia10.jpg

then stopped at a big sale where i picked up the underwater camera id been wanting for 1/3 of its normal price

great day... made me realise that the only thing i miss about auckland is my friends and im so much happier with my new life

^New lives and good friends- I'll drink to that!

Congrats on the sale there zissou.

Glad that everything worked out in the end and that all the work you`ve put in it (thanks also for those update shots you always posted!) has come to an good end...

now lean back, have a beer, a nice cigar and just enjoy! ;)

You bet Zissou! Enjoy August without any burdens! :)

Well, if you guys insist, I'll just have to! :)

In that spirit, my Roys and I spent the evening mowing the lawn at the old house for one of the last times, then I brought pizza to my good friend and her one year-old who were overwhelmed being on their own while Dad's away, and came home to drink beer and cut down renegade willow shoots while listening to the Black Keys. Happy times, indeed. So much so that I nearly shed a tear in my beer. I'm gettin' all soft in me old age!