ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

How do you like them now TG?

well... it all made me really appreciate the incredibly high standard of craftsmanship ROY put into each pair of these, as i was working on them i kept noticing more details i had overlooked. the cinch construction is making me curiouser and curiouser, but yeah everyone knows his work is innovative and perfect

im happy with them, they will be worn for years now like my skulls were, they will be much more versatile now that they are closer to my size and the length sits heaps better on more of my shoes. wish id measured better to start with

Very fine work on the RE-ROYs tg. A wise decision, that. They were excellent before, but now just a notch beyond.

Salutations to all the other Augie babies. I think you can gauge the coldness of particular winters by the number of Leos.

I've been away from SUFU for a few weeks with a internet free holiday and illness.

Here's a few snaps of my trip to Brittany (No denim though).

On the way, we stopped in Honfleur, Normandy. Here is the port:

6049837591_dc5f8382b9_z.jpg

An old alleyway. This port town is medieval and has dozens of beautiful streets and buildings like these.

6049841505_db548ebfc1_z.jpg

Then on to Brittany. This was our house for two weeks. The original part of the house is a good couple of hundred years old with later additions by successive owners. The newest maybe about a hundred or so years old.

6049850405_ef04cc531b_z.jpg

The house had a huge garden which the boy enjoyed with his cousins and radio flyer very much. We had four or five big oaks at the end and were surrounded by corn fields and cows.

6050395292_a3becef5ea_z.jpg

6050397328_0daac37ed0_z.jpg

One of our local beaches

6049846489_b62dbdc294_z.jpg

Enjoying oysters, mussels and lobster....

6049848515_25e8dd12c8_z.jpg

Next time I will post some denim.....

One great advantage of the freelance life is the vacations. We took off for three weeks to one of our favourite areas, the north coast of Spain.

It's a 24 hour ferry ride, which is in itself an adventure. You leave from Portsmouth, a great town which might, I believe, be a haunt of The Clerk. the last stretch of ferry journey is along the Bay Of Biscay, which forms the Eastern Edge of the lower Atlantic and is a playground of many marine mammals. In the last few hours we spotted the spouts of a pair of sperm whales, as well as two or three pilot whales and a little school of dolphins. Then later that evening we were all set up at a little town called Comillas - the campsite has its own private beach, with good waves for bodyboarding, there's a sprinking of interesting Modernista buildings by Guadi and others, and an excellent restaurant all in walking distance.

comillas.jpg

After around four days we took off for the Spanish mountains, the Picos de Europa. Another great place, an hours drive along a narrow road winding alongside the main river, the Deva, on which we went kayaking a couple days later. A couple days later we went up for a cable car ride more or less to the top. It's 800 meters up… you can see one cable car on the way up, one on its way down...

cablecar.jpg

And then, we're on Top Of The World, Ma!

blackbirds.jpg

picos.jpg

picos2.jpg

picos3.jpg

picos4.jpg

picos5.jpg

Levi's and Roys made it up there safely…

roysinmountain2.jpg

levis.jpg

This was our favourite bar, El Bodegon, - the bartwnders are terrific, the nipper and I duscovered it last year - the bartender would bring our drinks, give him the beer and me the orange juice, do a matador impression with a tablecloth, then when it came time for the bill, brought out a till roll around three feet long and pretended it was ours. It was gret to see he was still here…

elbodegon.jpg

As we left the mountain district we had another little adventure when the car packed in. Luckily I'd taken out breakdown insurance… lots of phonecalls later we had a replacement rental Golf but no camping gear - so we spent two days in a four star hotel - which was boring, kind of like being on a work trip. IYou don;t make friends in the same way - but it was nice to have all our clothing dry. Including the Roys, which are showing beautiful wear… maybe more subtle than this in the flesh.

roywear.jpg

Once we got our camping gear back we drive way out West to A Corunna, on the Atlantic coast. This was where we stopped for lunch…

cuatroventos.jpg

CV2.jpg

CV3.jpg

And this was another place where we stopped to admire the view…

picnic2.jpg

A Coruna, like many Northern towns, has lots of cider bars. They pour it from several feet up to give it a decent foaming head. Two bottles, 6 percent or so, were around five Euros. Plus a hangover next morning of course...

cider.jpg

A Coruna boasts the world's oldest working lighthouse - according to legend it was built by Hercules, boring history says it's Roman.

torredehercules.jpg

WE had a mental drive back the next morning - our car was fixed and we had to drop off the rental before lunchtime, when of course everything closes for four hours, so we were packed up and leaving the campsite just after six when it was still dark. But it was worth it - we ended up on the Eastern side, in the Basque region, in a town called Zarauz. It's known for its blue canvas beachhuts, and the oddly shaped rock which flanks it, known as El Raton - the rat. It also boasts more amazing bars, where you can snack on seafood all evening, and swig the Vino Rosado, at a Euro a glass. Mmmm...

elraton.jpg

beachhuts.jpg

Great surfing, for the nipper, who after four lessons managed to learn how to catch the wave the stay on it for a few seconds…

surfingboy.jpg

Finally, last day, in Bilbao. An old Basque town which used to be grim, full of factories belching smoke. Now it's been totally revived thanks to the Guggenheim.

guggenheim-1.jpg

The Jeff Koons puppy looks rather sinister…

doggy.jpg

And there's aother great bar, the Cafe Iruna…

cafeirunamain.jpg

cafeiruna2.jpg

cafeiruna1.jpg

iruna1.jpg

iruna2.jpgiruna3.jpgiruna4.jpg

We only had the one day in the town… so I could only look in the window of one of Spain's finest shoemakers, La Carmina, which was closed.

elcarmina.jpg

Maybe it was as well I couldn't go in. By that evening, I'd finally worn out the sole of my Lotus

shoe.jpg

And then - the ferry home. The weahter was amazing - the sea looked glossy and limpid - we spotteda a minke whale and then, near sunset, pod after pod of dolphins, hunders of them skipping in the wake, enjoying themselves…

There are maybe a dozen dolphins in this pic…

loadsofdolphins.jpg

The joy of being here…

dolphins2.jpg

And the last sunset:

lastsunset.jpg

i wished i could say more than just "amazing amazing trip" but that was one hell of a trip. sure you had some great beers and seen some great stuff, but the best has got to be seeing those whales and dolphins. really good pictures. its great you get so close to mother nature. makes you think less about black seed denim and more of life's marvellous wonders and mother nature. fantastic trip i must say! makes me want to forget about consumerism for a while and pack my bags and get close to life!

Big shout to everybody! this is my last post before returning home on tuesday with a recovered back(hopefully,but i am not too sure about it).

looks like i have to find a job which is more health-friendly in long term.

the Roys enjoyed the time here aswell,my long distance nordic walking did them pretty good,had to handwash them yesterday because of the smell...anyway,looking forward to contribute next week again with some nice pics,see you all then!

Looking great Fre$co!

Paul - simply stunning! Looks like a fantastic trip!

Nowhere near as exciting as Spain - I'm in catch-up mode - first chance I've had to edit thru some recent stuff.

We went with friends to visit Black Creek Pioneer Village, a massive tract where life in Canada's pioneering days is re-created in painstaking detail. The "town" has all of the typical businesses that would have existed then, including tinsmiths, milliners, shoe/bootmakers, leather smiths, etc. We literally couldn't visit them all in one afternoon, but I'm sure we'll be back to catch the rest!

All of the folks who work there are in period-correct clothing, which is manufactured on the premises.

The ever popular wagon ride - the horse is a Clydesdale.

b38d1620.jpg

Pics from the tinsmith's, where you can try your own hand at making things

5cc0075e.jpg

c01e9f93.jpg

The mill, where the flour is milled for the bread that can be purchased at the bakery.

bf919565.jpg

a19afd95.jpg

8dd91a5c.jpg

That afternoon, they had a dance - timing was good, because the skies suddenly got dark, and we had a massive thunderstorm - good thing that we were in a covered area!

3fd1b104.jpg

c2ecdc28.jpg

Wilbur - is that you???

6d9a161b.jpg

Interesting exhibit on fire prevention

f1ac75ca.jpg

92e3b0bc.jpg

Some scenes

077c66be.jpg

61b8892b.jpg

What I was wearing

ef453b6c.jpg

One of my favourite businesses - the local brewery! :)

4ba9c17b.jpg

My purchase for the day - a growler of brown beer!

c50ae2eb.jpg

The End (for now ... )!

180f94fa.jpg

went to cyclocross

didnt ride cause someone needed to count laps n times n stuff

its f'ing cold at the moment

it snowed at my place the other day

its not normal

today we had crispy clear sharp cold

cross1v.jpg

cross2x.jpg

cross3.jpg

i dont own any actually warm clothes as it doesnt normally get bellow 10 here so i borrowed some of my mans hoarded retro warm stuff

Hey all,

I've been back from my adventure out west, but I've been swamped with moving my office, moving the last of my stuff out of my old house, and doing some last repairs. I'll post up some photos from the trip once I have a moment to go through them.

In the meantime, here's a seven month update on my Roys. I washed them for the third time on 8/7, but after a couple weeks of camping, hiking, moving office, mowing, etc. they are filthy and nasty again. I think I'm just going to wash them whenever I damn well want from here on out.

ef08a8c0.jpg

879b849d.jpg

51517329.jpg

7a6be8f5.jpg

0a1274d7.jpg